122 crossover capacitor replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 122 crossover capacitor replacement

My values were 3 times higher than original. I swapped the 7.8mf/12.5mf with a 10mf/15mf. It sounds delightful now!
    I may try 8mf/12mf just to hear if it makes much difference. I went with 10/15 -100v to simulate aging. Anyway...it sounds fine to me.
    BCV, C2, M3, C3
    HR40, 142, 760, 771
    Once upon a time I was a musician, now I just collect Hammonds!

Originally posted by Jwolter View Post
    I went with 10/15 -100v to simulate aging.
    Just when I think that nothing can surprise me anymore.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
      Just when I think that nothing can surprise me anymore.
      Lol, David....ok I kinda made part up. I was just curious to hear what it sounded like.
      BCV, C2, M3, C3
      HR40, 142, 760, 771
      Once upon a time I was a musician, now I just collect Hammonds!

Comment

Originally posted by Jwolter View Post
        My values were 3 times higher than original. I swapped the 7.8mf/12.5mf with a 10mf/15mf. It sounds delightful now!
        I may try 8mf/12mf just to hear if it makes much difference. I went with 10/15 -100v to simulate aging. Anyway...it sounds fine to me.
        I kept it simple and took the suggestions of those before me:

https://trekii.com/products/leslie-s...capacitor.html

Comment

I looked at that one from Trek II. $40 and simple... So I opted to go with another combo in caps. 6.8uf and 1.uf for 7.8 in parallel and 10uf, 1.5uf & 1.uf in parallel... I will let you know how it works out...
          I rebuild Hammonds and Leslies. Please visit my website. tbstonewheels.com It's still in the works but is up and running. My personal setup is a Model A # 2203 with Trek II percussion, 122RV and 2 31h's. One is fitted with two speed motors and the other a Hamptone. Also sporting a working Vibratone 30A # 326.

Comment

I just replaced the capacitors in my 22H/122 with the Trek unit and what a difference! I think it took all of 30 minutes from beginning to end to install. I had purchased the individual caps kit from TWGH a while back, but lost them in a move, so this was the quickest solution. Also, spent another few minutes doing the Percussion 'Normal' volume drop modification to the B3.
            Current: Hammond B3/ B2 cabinet, Leslie 122/ 22H, Hammond M3
            Past: Hammond CV, Hammond D20, Leslie 122a, '63 Hammond B3, '62 Leslie 122

Comment

I thought I'd write a poem about crossover capacitor replacement.

People make
              Replacing
              Two components
              So hard.
              I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
                I thought I'd write a poem about crossover capacitor replacement.

People make
                Replacing
                Two components
                So hard.
                That's some really bad Haiku, David . . .

Comment

Caps are replaced and it sounds great.. I like it and the cost is low.....
                  I rebuild Hammonds and Leslies. Please visit my website. tbstonewheels.com It's still in the works but is up and running. My personal setup is a Model A # 2203 with Trek II percussion, 122RV and 2 31h's. One is fitted with two speed motors and the other a Hamptone. Also sporting a working Vibratone 30A # 326.

Comment

No need to try and get exactly 7.8 and 12.5...8uF and 12uF work perfectly well and the shift is less than a semitone, ie inaudible. I've done several crossovers with the red "MKP Audiophiler" film caps from Antique Electronic Supply. Decent price ($3.25 for the 12uF and $2.50 for the 8uF) and they seem to work very well, been pleased with them. I mount them between two terminal strips in the old-style crossovers, makes a nice neat install.

TP
                    Todd in Cheesecurdistan - www.blueolives.com
                    Some consoles, some Leslies, parts, tubes, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X