This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Walnut Leslie Finish

I have an early 1970’s 147 with the chipboard/particleboard shelves and it has a few deep scratches to the veneer. I don’t want to make it a museum piece but I’d like to lose the scratches if I can.

I have read up on pre war Hammond finishes but am not familiar with the Leslie method. Can anyone share experiences?
    Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5, X5
    Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
    Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145, 910, 415
    www.drawbardave.co.uk

Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
    I have an early 1970’s 147 with the chipboard/particleboard shelves and it has a few deep scratches to the veneer. I don’t want to make it a museum piece but I’d like to lose the scratches if I can.

I have read up on pre war Hammond finishes but am not familiar with the Leslie method. Can anyone share experiences?
    Restor-A-Finish by Howard Products is what i've used, others on this list too. It's really easy too..

http://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish/

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Leslie used the same tinted lacquer that Hammond used, especially since they intended their cabinets to be used with Hammonds in churches and wanted them to match. There is a company called Mohawk that makes tinted lacquers.
      I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Wipe across the scratched area with some natural color wood stain, wiping off the surrounding areas once you're done. The stain won't stick to any lacquered surface but will soak into and color the scratches. Done this many times to furniture. No reason it won't work on a Leslie. Just takes a tiny bit.

edit...don't use walnut colored stain...the scratches would be way too dark. Just use natural

Comment

Wow! Some great info there guys, thanks!
          Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145, 910, 415
          www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Dave,

I don't know if Howard Restore-A-Finish is available in the UK?
            Probably won't ship there,classified 'DG' to mail or parcel.
            There is most likely a similar product in Europe.

Before and after.....still shows road patina.Sure is nicer than before IMO.
            Blended mahogany and cherry over the walnut to match the M3 better.

Hardwood baffles,last year 1969. It's a 142.
            Attached Files
            A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

Pete I’ve seen it on Amazon UK! Do you mean the whole refurb kit or just the bottle on its own? I certainly want to keep some patina. All that stuff tells a story and I don’t want it looking like a brand new Hammond Suzuki model 🤣
              www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Cheesecloth,steel wool (0000),and a can of Howard Walnut is what you'll need.I like to blend and test using the dark and light Walnut.
                Mahogany and Cherry are also useful to blend or even on their own.Rub the wool 'with' the grain.
                After the excess is wiped off with cheesecloth, you won't notice any abrasion from the steel wool,if you've done it correctly.
                I also use the Feed-N-Wax beeswax blend which buffs out to a nice deep gloss.

The patina of nearly a half century adds character a brand new box just won't have.
                Sourced all original parts for this box,except the middle back panel and 'moldings'.
                A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/142 BV/147 BCV/145 M3/145 M102/145 M111/770 L101/760 T222/HL722 M111/770 no B3/C3!

Comment

If I don't want to spend a lot of time, Old English works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
                    Cheesecloth,steel wool (0000),and a can of Howard Walnut is what you'll need.I like to blend and test using the dark and light Walnut.
                    Mahogany and Cherry are also useful to blend or even on their own.Rub the wool 'with' the grain.
                    After the excess is wiped off with cheesecloth, you won't notice any abrasion from the steel wool,if you've done it correctly.
                    I also use the Feed-N-Wax beeswax blend which buffs out to a nice deep gloss.

The patina of nearly a half century adds character a brand new box just won't have.
                    Sourced all original parts for this box,except the middle back panel and 'moldings'.
                    Great advice! I finally managed to view your pictures (couldn’t on my iPhone) and they look fantastic. What a difference. I will get some Howards from Amazon next week when I have some time off work.

Am I right in thinking that Pine Gum Spirits of Turpentine is the correct liquid for cleaning old wax and polish off to get back to the lacquer?
                    www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X