replied
    Have you installed the MIG-LR kit yet?

Leave a comment:

• uhoh7
    replied
    Update:

This arrived today:

MiG by unoh7, on Flickr

I may not have a chance to install the MIG-LR II untill the spring, I will update my impression when I do.

Lately I've been on a 22H binge, and I'm more curious than ever about why it's so loud in comparison to my 760.

As noted, I have a custom connection from the RT3. I have a single GG line direct from AO-28 (RT3) running to Pin 2 of the 9-pin interface. It does get reasonably loud, but not as loud as my 22H (rebuilt and converted to 2-speed).

The 760 is well worn and potentiometers are so abused a screw driver gets no purchase from outside, however they do turn and respond if adjusted internally.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• uhoh7
    replied
    My Pleasure, Peter :)

I've been playing several hours a day and lately with the 760 alone (I have not got the tube thingy yet). It has really grown on me. What I've found is mine is so nice at softer volumes for practice. It's now dead silent at stop with the organ on, and I can play late in the evening with subtle drawbar settings, which is very forgiving for my nascent chops.

It's pure and clean like that, and lets me explore the organ with little distraction. The 22H does not stop and has some mechanical and hum noises which are more evident at soft volumes, so I think I'm going to get in there and see exactly what's causing what, if I can. It's a wonderful beast: really goes nuts on tremolo...it a good way, the distortion is gorgeous, and it will go very loud, as I noted above: i wonder if the rebuild has boosted the power, to be honest. I never turn it all the way up. Even at half it rattles the china with the bottom drawbar out. Maybe I have too much drive going. With both 22H and 760 going, C3 and dual tremolo it's like a gang of drunken opera stars bringing down the house. I worry they could effect the planet's orbit. Throw in the pedal solo with several pipes...it may attract aliens.

On the manuals, I'm trying to focus on the fundamentals, just a combo of scales, voicings, and playing songs l like. I have alot of music books I've collected over 30 years, and it's been very fun to see what I can do with the organ. Sometimes I will just single note the melody between various settings and the lone 760's three speeds: it just sounds incredible. You really can't get bored with a song as it can sound so many ways. Listening to the tremolo slow to a stop is hypnotic, especially with the vibrato shut off. Both C1 and C3 are powerful effects on my RT3 in a quiet room at lower volumes. I find the 760 tremolo prettier with vibrato off. But the drama of everything on is fun as a climatic move, for sure.

I'm working on my basic shout bass lines and changes too, so A flat is no stranger LOL I feel very lucky to have this setup and it's really got me playing again, not just the hammond, but my midi gear also. Lately I've been looking at Rhodes 74s.....

And I've been hearing alot of great players too. I discovered Robert Walter the other night, OMG. And Keyboard Mag was askin him what he was listening to, which took me to wild german electronica, plus King Tubby and Jackie Mittoo, inspiring some rhythmic delevopment. Youtube is a fantastic resource for the basics now, and I have the premium so no ads.

Thanks again to those here, who set me on the right track to get it all going. :)

I still need to find a role for the model 105. I was thinking old PA tube amp out of my MIDI rhodes, but I should just give it a inspection and plug it into one of my stereos to see what it does....

It's got three wires besides the AC......got to be unbalanced, right, so is the switch in there too? It has a button on the top, which normally would control the speed. Hmmm.

Might be time for another thread ;)
    Last edited by uhoh7; 12-28-2018, 12:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• peterb_2795
    replied
    Originally posted by uhoh7 View Post
    Hi Peter,

I've just sent $100 US to Friedemann Goltz, who has boards. It will be some time before I get mine, shipping etc. You can find his contact info here:

https://www.keyboardpartner.de/hammond/

fingers crossed. :)
    Thank you and much appreciated ... (I thought Carsten Meyer had stopped making these?) ... I thought that he had moved on to the HX3 and left the MIG-L behind.
    From your reply, it sounds like Friedemann has picked up the baton. I will contact him ->for my xmas pressie from me to me ... :o)

Cheers,
    Peter
    Last edited by peterb_2795; 12-15-2018, 03:47 AM. Reason: drinking wine

Leave a comment:

• alpine
    replied
    Originally posted by uhoh7 View Post
    Hi Peter,

I've just sent $100 US to Friedemann Goltz, who has boards. It will be some time before I get mine, shipping etc. You can find his contact info here:

They are a reliable and helpful firm in my experience.

Leave a comment:

• uhoh7
    replied
    Originally posted by peterb_2795 View Post
    Hi,

I have followed your thread/journey with interest. If you are able to purchase a Mig-L board, could you kindly post the source. I would like to try one out in a 925.

Many thanks,
    Peter
    Hi Peter,

Leave a comment:

• peterb_2795
    replied
    Hi,

I have followed your thread/journey with interest. If you are able to purchase a Mig-L board, could you kindly post the source. I would like to try one out in a 925.

Many thanks,
    Peter

Leave a comment:

• uhoh7
    replied
    Originally posted by Drawbar Dave View Post
    The proline 760 model on wheels does shudder a bit on tremolo. The horns should not need balancing and it is correct for them to lift up and down. I would at least change lower rotor rubber and bearings. That should quiet things down a bit.
    Thank You Dave, It is much calmer now, still some slight vibration, but much less. It's good to hear a little shudder is not unusual.

Tpappano: thanks to you pointing out the basic stuff, like glue, I had the guts to fire it up :)

David, the horn extenders are both in place TYG. There are signs of attempted balancing in the past, or...I'll make a few pics as it's a bit strange, but on both sides. This speaker has seen some serious use, I'm confident of that.

One thing that surprises me: I expected it to be alot louder than my 22H. It's not. 20%? If that. I have a single G input and a connection to the preamp ground. Now the 22H is very fresh from a complete rebuild, with unidentifed two-speed kit, newish svetlana tubes: it is impressive. Whereas the 760 has been rode so hard I have to open the back to adjust volumes: the screw driver slots are long gone.

I've been comparing them more and more, using just one then the other. I now recognise that low-end distortion from the tubes people love, and I can dial it at will with the first drawbar. As soon as I start to pidgen hole one or the other.....I find some drawbar combo the lesser loves. I have some hum on the 760 (maybe a cable thing), but I have some soft mechanical sounds from the 22H. A full stop on the 22H would be nice also.

I located a source for the Mig-L board for the 760 you see in the early pages, I'm ordering one. I'm thinking a refresh on the major capacitors on the 760 won't hurt it either. I will get after the hum. Then....it'll be really interesting.

They are very different, that is for sure. But so are two B3s, right?

I will keep you guys posted. Every person in the thread has helped me: thank you all.

Playing every day, I'm falling in love with the dynamic range and tonal diversity of the whole thing. Sometimes I sit down at 2am, and go very very soft. That's led me to explore the drawbars quite a bit, in low numbers, and search for what the situation wants. The way you can swing from such sublte velvet to a raging inferno...wow. Inspiring. And I'm not ignoring those pedals..bit by bit I'm learning where the notes are down there ;)

Leave a comment:

• David Anderson
    replied
    You occasionally see a horn where the deflector is broken off one side. These may need to be re-balanced.

Leave a comment:

• Drawbar Dave
    replied
    The proline 760 model on wheels does shudder a bit on tremolo. The horns should not need balancing and it is correct for them to lift up and down. I would at least change lower rotor rubber and bearings. That should quiet things down a bit.

Leave a comment:

• tpappano
    replied
    Great news that it is working!

Leave a comment:

• uhoh7
    replied
    When I first opened the 760 and inspected the PWS board, there was a blob of putty sitting in the middle of it. Yuck, I thought.

Now that I am using the speaker, I realize this was important part ;)

I have upper rotor wobble, enough to shake the cabinet. So that's my next project: balance the 760 upper rotor.

Any particular type of putty is best?

I've removed the belt, and I notice: I can tip the rotor/horns either way. It settles at one spot, but is not fixed. I can also raise it up and down. Is this normal?

ahh....loose rubber grommets. Like idiot at first I thought, let me make these last, I will use silicon paste. Then had to clean them of course. I did a few wraps of duct tape around pin to firm them up till I get new ones. Struggled to line everything up, then...much better :)
    Last edited by uhoh7; 12-08-2018, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• uhoh7
    replied
    Frugality is the mother of......well my 760 switch anyway ;)

IMG_6547 by unoh7, on Flickr
    I used the screw on the metal plate above the great to fix it. It's firm, 3-way, and works great :)

IMG_6550 by unoh7, on Flickr

I made up my own custom wiring harness, plugging in the 760 locally to AC and sending 4 lines back the organ. I think it's safe to say this 760 has ssen some heavy use. I had to adjust the volume pots on the inside, because they had suffered brutality from scrrew drivers on the outside.

I have a 22H, converted to 2-speed right behind my bench. I put the 760 about 10ft in front onf me, crossed my fingers, fired up the RT3 and then powered up the 760, at first with the 22H disconnected. Vroom. slow fast and stop working.

I then plugged in the 22h. Holy Sh.... It is so much fun, I played several hours tonite. Having both switches going is alot of fun, and seriously impressive. I see now just how good the 22H really is. Somebody really went through it when they added the two-way switch board. The 760 is louder, but it's further away so the combo is fine. The 760 is the gruffer of the two, to my surprise. But it's nice to have that full stop, which i have between the other speeds.

I can't thank you guys enough for all the input. Over time I will upgrade the 760. I actually found that little add-on board with the tube, the MIG-L, and am in process of ordering it from Germany. Meanwhile I will play this incredible thing :)

Leave a comment:

• tpappano
    replied
    Ha, yes! I think at this point a startup might not be a bad idea, its good to know where you stand before going in deep. I would check to make sure that someone didn't install ridiculously oversized (30 amp!) fuses like in the 720 I rebuilt- it resulted in the thing catching fire after a lightning strike 8)

Nice bike! I did some English Trials riding back in the '70s. I built a 'Frankenstein' cycle on a Bultaco Sherpa-T frame with the engine from a Triumph Trophy 250 8)

Leave a comment:

• uhoh7
    replied
    Originally posted by tpappano View Post
    Glad to be of help! I'm going to guess that the little relay coils might be glued to the circuit board with epoxy or some such. Their odd appearance is probably because they are simple coils of wire wrapped with plastic tape.

These capacitors are what I used to replace the 'big blue' filters on my 720:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...2fDKX2GA%3d%3d

I'll bet that the long silver cap is C3, this one should work as a replacement:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...8H8ORCpA%3d%3d

Like David suggests, I would use a soft brush and *generous* amounts of 70% isopropyl to flush the board, tilting it up on edge so that the 'runoff' doesn't get into the connectors, if possible.
    Jeez another golden post! Glue!, that would explain it. Maybe some real noise is closer than I thought :)

Thank you also for those links :)

I've been using 99% isopropryl and q-tips, mopping up as I go. I'm beginning to think I should attempt a start before I go soldering. I've got some motor inspection to do.

What oil is best, I have newer TG and old hammond oil.

After reading an old thread Wes made, I see I'll want to watch which way they spin, what do I want? Opposed? I see my converted 22H has both spining counter-clockwise. It sounds pretty good. My16 year old cat has discovered she can walk accross the pedals and play some scales....I was surpised she was heavy enough to push them down! I fire up the pedal solo for her sometimes now ;) That thing is hilarious.

My mechanical experience:

Spanish Horse by unoh7, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

Working...
X