Gutted leslie 900 project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutted leslie 900 project

Ok so I bought a leslie 900. It keeps blowing fuses and I am not going to waste my time going through the old amp and power supply trying to see what’s wrong. All components have been taken out except for the motors and v21/16ohm with horn and bass speaker/4ohm. What is the best way to use to have 800hz crossover and amp? Do I buy a rack mount type amp@8ohm with a crossover built in or do I by a crossover unit like the older style Leslie’s and hook up a bass amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you🙏

There's so many ways one could go on this.

For one thing, the values of the capacitors inside a crossover for Leslie should be like the stock for the rotor ramp animation to be true.

For a Leslie, using just any crossover does not help. It's not just a matter of the crossover point being 800hz.

If it were me, I'd use a Leslie crossover, and get a Leslie amp rather than have so many other parts to move and connect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	prrvw76pcjt9vrsfmthe.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	650364

Or are you trying to build a frankenleslie?

If loud is what you want, try getting the original 900 amp repaired.

When you go to sell it you'll have a better selling position.

Other than that; Crown amp bi-amp system assuming you have JBL's left over from the gutting.

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post
      There's so many ways one could go on this.
      I agree. And quite successfully.

For instance, you can rip all those Leslie guts out and replace them with something good. Sell them on ebay to someone that hasta have the brand names.

There is nothing special about "an original" crossover (or anything!) on a Leslie. In fact, it's everything BUT special. 800Hz is the crossover "point" - as much as a smeared up Leslie crossover can do it. Lots of crossovers, active or passive, work just fine. Lots of drivers work just fine. Even lots of different motors work just fine. I know this because even Don Leslie used lots of different configurations, and while he was certainly a pioneer in his field, his inventions were never so perfect they couldn't be improved.

Even Keith Emerson replaced the guts in his with those British Hiwatt amps. Never heard many complaints about his sound.

I run Crown amps and active crossovers. I run threaded horn drivers. Mine grind fine. Shocking as it may seem, I don't even run a stock multi-pin cable with that stupid amphenol connector. Everything in a Leslie cabinet can be (and often should be) upgraded and modernized. Everything, that is, but the treble horn.

In my experience, that phenolic horn makes a sound that simply can't be duplicated or improved upon and it's "honk" comes through no matter what speaker/driver is attached. I've looked into other configurations (Motion Sound, etc.) but when closely compared to even my own early efforts, that Leslie horn is seemingly impossible to eclipse. There's a lot of character there, with or without diffusers. Everything else is vanilla, ho-hum and can be replaced and duplicated easily.

Sure, folks can call your finished product a "FrankenLeslie". I think I was using that term before it was cast as an aspersion. But done right, there's no stock Leslie that will ever keep up with the dynamic range, noise floor, grind, distortion, etc of a mod. Suitable for the hardest rock and the most subtle jazz. And get this: those people that are all about keeping a Leslie stock are the very same people that will tell you that they each one sound different. Go figure. My set sounds different, and boy am i glad of that.

I've always liked the 'black and silver refrigerator' look of the 900. It always looked scary heavy so I never got one. Sort of a Darth Vader Leslie. But something that big and that heavy oughta put out sound like a Marshall stack, though i've never heard one that did. As far as I'm concerned, it's yours to do whatever you like. The sky's the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by tiredoldgeezer View Post
        I've always liked the 'black and silver refrigerator' look of the 900.
        Always liked this album cover.

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F83%2F8a%2F63%2F838a633b0deb548c47a33320aa9368d3.jpg&f=1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	650372

And note that this was from back in the days when the only way out for a Hammond guy was with super Leslies on stage.

Comment

The 4 ohm woofer there was intended to be run by the built in x-over board of the 900.It won't be correct in an 8 ohm tube amp application.
          You'll need a 16 ohm woofer if you use an 8 ohm tube amp and x-over.
          I agree with tiredoldgeezer,a V21/P15LL is best with original rotors for authentic experience.
          When the Leslie 900 isn't enough grunt then bi-amped rack mounted etc. seems the way to do it.
          Some 12 pound amps have 1000 watts and built in x-overs?
          Next time you hear Conquistador (ESO Live) Procol Harum?
          That's my Marshall model '1959' 100 Watt Lead powering the 122,intercepted at the speaker plug from x-over.
          Needed to keep up to a 59 piece orchestra.Couldn't hear it at rehearsal/sound check.Out comes the Marshall.

Yeah Goff,Greenspoon is one of my favorites,now gone,Goldy too.
          I have one of the Floyd's Snead T's!
          Calgary's favorite son.Played in The Calgary Shades with Tommy Chong in 1963-4.
          His brother Bernie played keys!
          sigpic A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/147 BCV/122 M3/145 M102/145
          Various modern keyboards and modules.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
            The 4 ohm woofer there was intended to be run by the built in x-over board of the 900.It won't be correct in an 8 ohm tube amp application.
            You'll need a 16 ohm woofer if you go tube.
            Next time you hear Conquistador (ESO Live) Procol Harum? That's my Marshall model '1959' 100 Watt Lead powering the 122,intercepted at the speaker plug from x-over.
            Needed to keep up to a 59 piece orchestra.

Yeah Goff,Greenspoon is one of my favorites,now gone,Goldy too.
            I have one of the Floyd's Snead T's!
            Calgary's favorite son.Played in The Calgary Shades with Tommy Chong in 1963-4.
            His brother Bernie played keys!

What a nice brush with rock royalty!

"Dave's not here..."

Yeah Pete, Floyd is Tommy's bro in law and Rae Dawn's uncle.

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.baselineresearch.com%2Fimages%2F284663%2F284663_full.jpg&f=1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	650377

I like Goldy as well and the S-wolf albums.

Monster is my fave song by them. Saw them in a club in LA and tried to stay for the next show but got caught hiding in the restroom, drummer friend and I.

Who with an organ for brains can forget Born To Be Wild...

Yeah in order to use the 122 guts, drivers, woofers need to be 16 ohms.

The 900 is a lot of cabinet to fill.

And there's no chorale on the lower rotor.

Comment

Working...
            X