This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New speakers for Rodgers 702

Getting Rodgers 702 with no speakers from church. I will need a set of 4 speakers that would provide sufficient volume and quality for a home practice organ. I tested the organ using a pair of old Bose 201 Series III (10-120 w/c, 8 ohm) speakers that used to be connected to a home stereo, and they sounded pretty good, but I was mainly checking to make sure that the amp had not been damaged by lightning. I'd like speakers that are "really good" but not necessarily "audiophile". I will probably set the 2 pairs on top of the console or on either side.

Amp has 4-channel output with Channels 1&2 for Swell R/L and Channels 3&4 for Great and Pedal R/L.

Thanks,
    Keith
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Here is a link to the brochure for this organ: http://www.rodgersinstruments.com/up...s/pdfs/702.pdf

The brochure for the organ lists the standard speaker complement as two each of: FR 1.7LX and FR 5.0LX. These are both 3-way systems (woofer, midrange, and tweeter). The 1.7 has an 8 inch woofer, the 5.0 has a 12 inch woofer.

My "go to" speakers for almost any electronic organ are Allen HC-14 or HC-15 speakers for stops that go down to 16 ft; HC-12 for those that go down to 32 ft. Your local Allen dealer may be able to source these for you as used models at a reasonable price.

Comment

I second what toodles says. There are no better general purpose organ speakers than the Allen HC-14 or -15. Since the organ you are looking at has no 32' stops, you don't need HC-12s (which have softer suspensions on the woofers for response down to the 32' range). Also, even though the original set shipped with that organ from Rodgers included smaller speakers for the swell channels, there is no harm in using regular full-size HC cabinets on all four channels. However, if you were to see some Allen HC-13 cabinets for sale at a good price, they will certainly do for the swell channels, as they are identical to the -14 and -15 except for having a 12" woofer instead of a 15".

Obviously, these are too big to set on top of the console. You can stack them vertically, two on each side of the console, or you could place them somewhere else in the room if it's more convenient. Many people find that they enjoy organ sound more if the speakers are NOT right up close and not facing directly at your ears as you sit on the bench. Some of us even prefer to have the speaker cabinets lying on their backs, facing up at the ceiling.

I would suggest that you not place the two members of a pair (such as the #1 and #2 swell pair) very far apart. Rodgers used to suggest that they be, best I recall, between 4 and 8 feet apart, equally distant from the listener, much as you would place typical stereo speakers in a home theater or hifi system. This gives the best results, preserving the "stereo image" of the signal and keeping the unison and sharp portions of the celeste stops near enough each other to properly blend and beat.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• toodles
        toodles commented
        Editing a comment
        Currently on ebay, 4 of the HC-15 speakers for $200 the set. Located in Clearwater, Florida--looks like a 2-day round trip or a very long 16 hour day. The midranges need repair, but that is easy to do. Several discussions on the forum about doing this. It is definitely worth the effort to get these. Last "list" price I know of for these was $1400 apiece. https://www.--------/itm/Allen-Organ...9Vi:rk:11:pf:0

Thanks, guys.

I don't want to get this organ sounding TOO good lest I decide to trash my pipe organ project into which I've already thrown too much money. I guess I was thinking towards 2 pairs of speakers like one would connect to a good home stereo. Also, I won't need the amount of sound that would be used in a sanctuary.

I'll check with the Rodgers tech to see if he has any used speakers available.
      Thanks,
      Keith

Comment

• toodles
        toodles commented
        Editing a comment
        The real problem, and it is very real, with home stereo speakers is the prodigious bass that organ requires down to 32 Hz. Most home speakers these days are bookshelf speakers and can't handle the bass that organ requires. The Rodgers FR5.0LX speakers are 33-1/2 H by 19-1/2 W by 16-1/2 deep, almost exactly the size of the Allen HC-15's, which are much easier to find on the used market.

It isn't a matter of the amount of sound nor the extreme quality, it is the bass requirements that make for the large size of the speakers.

• Dr Z
        Dr Z commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, toodles. Are you saying the the Allen HC-15s are easier to find or the Rodgers FR 5.0 LX?
        I may be googling the wrong way, but I'm finding it difficult to locate either used Rodgers or Allen speakers. I appreciate the link for the HC-15 ad. I'll probably e-mail the seller to tell him that I'm interested but can't do it now. He says that there are more after these sell.

I've rarely seen used Rodgers FR1.7's or FR5.0's for sale, but often seen HC-14 and HC-15's for sale. The 14 and 15 are the same system, just one is furniture finished wood and one is utility painted, the utility version being easier to find.

Your Rodgers dealer might have used FR 5.0's, so you can always check there.

As to searching, punctuation can be a problem and sometimes people don't list the model number correctly. A search for "used allen organ speakers" or "used rodgers organ speakers" might give the best results, and then look at the details of the ad. Do the search without the quotation marks. Right now I'm not seeing a lot of results, so local dealers might be the best option for a quick solution.

The reason for the strong suggestion for the Allen speakers is that most stereo speakers that can perform down to 32 Hz with authority will cost much more than the Allen speakers.

Comment

Hello All - I just acquired the same organ Dr Z was writing about here (Rodgers 702). Similarly, it came without any speakers. I will primarily be using headphones when playing on this instrument, but I will need to have speakers for lessons. The Allen speakers are quite "large" (of course everything is relative) for the space I am trying to fit the organ and speakers into. Being that I will only really use the speakers for lessons, I was wondering what smaller sized bookshelf speakers might be an option (while not necessarily an "ideal" or perfect option)? Dr Z, what speakers did you wind up going with?

Comment

i don't know of any bookshelf speakers that can handle the pedal channel(s). Even the Rodgers FR1.7's that would typically be used for the manual channels aren't really "bookshelf" size, though they are quite a bit smaller than Allen HC-12/14/15 speakers.The Allen HC speakers are probably the most compact that can do justice to the pedals, unless you can find a Rodgers W4.SW4. It's still a pretty big cabinet.

Comment

Working...
          X