Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Checking a Leslie motor for an open winding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbsoundman
    replied
    Well, I think I found the problem! Picked up a known good motor from a friend last night and opened it up to compare the two... good motor is below bad motor.

Safe to say this one definitely ran for a while seized up. Makes sense, the oil wick was dry when I got it. Interestingly the shaft turned just fine though...

Leave a comment:

• muckelroy
    replied
    It's hard to tell if that's dust/debris, or charring I see on the coil. Unwrap the tape and heat shrink on the lead-in wires and inspect all those connections. Don't tamper with the cloth on the bulk of the field coil itself. If the lead-in wires are secure, then it's going to be a re-wind job for the motor, for which a replacement motor makes more practical sense here.

Leave a comment:

• dbsoundman
    replied
    Originally posted by muckelroy View Post
    Open coils on motors are a lot more common on the small slow motors than on the large fast motors. However, an open coil could definitely happen on these. How far did you take the motor apart? If you fully disassemble it, you can hold the field coil winding in your hand and clearly see the wires. If the break is on the lead-in or lead-out, it can be fixed, but if not, you're better off getting a new motor. They are fairly common in the U.S.
    I took the top off and removed the rotor, but the rest is covered in some foam type stuff, and I didn't want to disturb that until I was told otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• muckelroy
    replied
    Open coils on motors are a lot more common on the small slow motors than on the large fast motors. However, an open coil could definitely happen on these. How far did you take the motor apart? If you fully disassemble it, you can hold the field coil winding in your hand and clearly see the wires. If the break is on the lead-in or lead-out, it can be fixed, but if not, you're better off getting a new motor. They are fairly common in the U.S.

Leave a comment:

• dbsoundman
    started a topic Checking a Leslie motor for an open winding?

Checking a Leslie motor for an open winding?

What's the best way to test a Leslie motor for an open winding? I have one from a recently acquired 21H that doesn't do anything...no hum, no movement, nada. It's not stuck, I took it apart and I can spin it by hand. The only thing I see is some crispy old cloth wiring for the power leads. I'm thinking maybe it shorted out at some point and blew a winding but I don't want to start tearing apart the foam stuff around the coils without knowing what I'm doing.

FWIW, I tried measuring the DC resistance with an ohm meter, and at one point I got a reading, but every other time I've tried I get an open circuit, which definitely leads me to believe there's at least a break in the power leads somewhere I can't see them.
Working...
X