Rotosonic 415 motors overheating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotosonic 415 motors overheating?

Hi everyone . I have a Leslie rotosonic 415 cabinet that I recently purchased. In all honesty I am more of a guitar player/studio engineer than an organist. I gutted everything accept for the motors/motor controllers and rotary channel speakers out of the unit, and rewired it with a new more reliable (and considerably lighter) class D power amplifier. This allows me to patch a line level signal into the unit through a regular 1/4 inch cable. I installed a relay that allows me to control the speed of rotation with an external footswitch, and I reolrepl the mercotac ccnnector onotge drum. Everything works and it sounds great with my guitar (I use an external tube preamp, which is then connected to the line level input of the cab). I noticed the other night during band practice that after being on for an extended period of time, the cabinet was starting to give off some funny smells. Not burning smells, but a kind of sweet smell, not unlike the smell of the inside of the cab when my head is directly inside of it when I'm working on it. It smells "old". Accept this time I was smelling it from feet away, and it was pungent. I switched it off for the rest of practice fearing something might be heating up inside. The next day I opened it up and let it run for about 30 minutes on the chorale setting. I switched it off and stuck my hand inside, and the motor for the drum had gotten so hot that I nearly burned myself. Is it normal for these motors to get this hot? It doesn't seem likely, but I have no prior experience with Leslie cabinets. I've oiled everything up pretty good, so I don't think that's the issue? What could be causing this motor to get so hot?

Motors should not get hot, the 415 has single motors with motor control managing the speed. I cant give a reason as its not something I have come across.

Comment

First thing to do is lubricate the motors (with the right stuff), check the mechanism is adjusted to run smoothly too, so that the motors don't have to work too hard.
      -1958 Hofner 550 archtop guitar -1959 C3 and PR40- -1964 Busillachio Harmonium- -1964 M101-
      -1967ish Leslie 122- -1975 T500 (modded..chopped, and reassembled!)-
      -DIY 760 FrankenLeslie/rat hideout-
      -1980 Electrokey Electric Piano- -Yamaha electric Harmonium (early 80's?)-
      -1990 Jansen GMF150 amp- -1992 Korg 01W/fd- -1992 G&L S-500 geetar.

Comment

And when you kept the motor controller from the 415 did you check to see if the triac was working correctly?
        Both circuits running at the same time will heat that pair up,particularly the fast motor if it's 'running' while in chorale!
        They can still switch on and not off......you want both working correctly?
        One circuit at a time will prevent overheating.

Check that triac! Or.....you might be switching on without switching the other off!
        sigpic A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/147 BCV/122 M3/145 M102/145
        Various modern keyboards and modules.

Comment

The 415 Leslie uses an early version of the 122a motor scheme. Each motor has a driver circuit board attached which drives the motors from control signals from the motor control board. These motor do run hot just like the 122a motors do. Too hot to hold.
          I would say to keep an eye on it but not to panic. If this cabinet is new then any heat could be causing the smell and would be normal.

geo

Comment

Originally posted by geoelectro View Post
            The 415 Leslie uses an early version of the 122a motor scheme. Each motor has a driver circuit board attached which drives the motors from control signals from the motor control board. These motor do run hot just like the 122a motors do. Too hot to hold.
            I would say to keep an eye on it but not to panic. If this cabinet is new then any heat could be causing the smell and would be normal.

geo
            so you're saying these new style motors run pretty hot and thats normal? That would make sense because I've pretty well lubricated everything and all the electronics (controller boards ect.) Are in perfect working order.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
              And when you kept the motor controller from the 415 did you check to see if the triac was working correctly?
              Both circuits running at the same time will heat that pair up,particularly the fast motor if it's 'running' while in chorale!
              They can still switch on and not off......you want both working correctly?
              One circuit at a time will prevent overheating.

Check that triac! Or.....you might be switching on without switching the other off!
              Everything seems to be in working order. There's only one motor in this model, and it's speed is controlled by a dedicated contrcontr board.

Comment

Thanks for clarification on that Kyle and George.Have never seen a 415.
                Had a similar issue with another model(760) that had overheating motors.
                Turns out both fast/slow were working at the same time......different controller than a 415.
                Replaced the triacs and fixed the issue.

Happy Leslie'ing,most guitarists never get to use the real deal.
                "Mama Let Him Play" is Jerry Doucette playing a Les Paul through a Leslie 147.....and that cat could play!
                Very few guitar players have ever actually been around a B3/122....or similar.
                Many older players sell/replace the vintage gear and say they are satisfied with the new stuff.
                I like both,the real stuff is 50 years old......I tolerate the newer gear.

This Neo Ventilator sure gets the job done!
                sigpic A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/147 BCV/122 M3/145 M102/145
                Various modern keyboards and modules.

Comment

Working...
                X