This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified U.K. Leslie 147 Question

I've been offered a UK 240v Leslie 147 which appears to have been modified at some point (with a 1/4” jack audio input).

It also has a U.K. 3-pin Bulgin mains plug instead of the expected 6-pin Leslie input...

It was apparently working (at some point in the not-too-distant past), but the motor plugs are currently disconnected.

As I don't actually own this, I've not had much of a chance to poke about...but my first query is re. switching/motor control - how on earth does that happen without the Leslie connector?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Not a clue from that photo. Where are the motors actually getting their power from? I'd want to know EXACTLY what modifications have been done and why. Can you get more info and photos so we can give you some advice, other than to be vary wary of this one!
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

• Sweet Pete
      Sweet Pete commented
      Editing a comment
      we need to look at the circuit side....

Thanks andyg - I'll try and get more pics this week...

Comment

Nothing to be concerned about here, it just means the motors would have their own separate power source and switching system, probably two relays one for fast and one for slow speeds.
      No reason to change it either as the 147 will work just fine,unless you wish to have the original six pin leslie hookup and speed switching,lots of 147 leslie have been modified in the way you describe and they work just fine

Comment

• Sweet Pete
        Sweet Pete commented
        Editing a comment
        Many use a brick/walwart laptop style power supply and a relay and switches to safely,quietly change motor speeds.
        That is a great sounding amp when working properly you have there,congrats!

Spoken to the owner again - he acquired it ‘as is' and has only ever powered the amp itself up (once) - the motors were all disconnected (as per the pic) when it arrived.

I'm therefore guessing that a separate switching system went missing along the way...

Comment

In the interest of posterity, if it were mine I would restore it back to the original condition. So as to avoid situations like this, the previous owner(s) made alterations leaving the next owner in a lurch as to what's working or not and how, with other foreign parts and mad max solutions. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post
          In the interest of posterity, if it were mine I would restore it back to the original condition. So as to avoid situations like this, the previous owner(s) made alterations leaving the next owner in a lurch as to what's working or not and how, with other foreign parts and mad max solutions. :-(
          Agreed. Same here. Probably worth more if returned to stock spec too. I highly recommend the solid state trek relay if you go this route.
          Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5
          Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
          Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145
          www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

And that's precisely what I'm doing! :)

Comment

Working...
            X