This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie Combo Preamps III and IV

Yesterday I was gifted a CPA III that has been modded to switch a 760 with its preamp bypassed. It was being used in a studio where I look after their A100 and I built a proper hookup to connect the A100 to 760.

I'm going to return this unit to stock. Just looking at Captain Foldback it seems cosmetically the III and IV are the same externally so what is the difference? I have seen a version III schemo but not a decent IV one. Is it simply a different preamp circuit?
    Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5
    Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
    Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145
    www.drawbardave.co.uk

I have the same crappy IV schematic version you have, but I can't easily see any circuit differences. Of course, the poor quality makes it hard to do a detailed comparison, but on that copy of the IV manual, "III" is written on the front page above the IV as though the same information applied to both.

The original Combo Preamp and the Combo Preamp II both use the same preamp circuit. Leslie didn't do that much product redesign.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Thanks David. I saw a MK IV on eBay which had a different model no on the back but it seems pointless rebranding it if as you say, they rarely changed design. Added to this there is no need for separate US and European voltage models because they run off B+ from the Leslie.
      Im glad the MK III service manual is readable. There's even a list of wiring points with wire colours so an amateur like me should be okay rewiring it!
      Hammond C3, M102, XB3, XB5
      Lowrey Heritage DSO-1, H25-3, Yamaha E70
      Farfisa Compact Duo Mk2, Vox Continental 300, Korg BX3 Mk1, Leslie 122, 145
      www.drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X