Leslie half moon switch fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leslie half moon switch fix

Had a tremolo switch with a rocker switch retrofitted into it, and was going to spring for a new switch but didn't want to spend what everyone wants for a switch assy, so I found a 3 way guitar switch on Amazon for $7. Couldn't find "on/off", but the 3 position (center's still on) works fine as it's much easier to manipulate the switch. Drilled out the threads and the hole to hole distance was exactly correct to drop onto the locating pins in the housing. Cut a couple pcs of heavy rigid plastic tubing to replace the missing steel retainers, and put the cover on. Works great!
    I took the switch apart to mod it to a 2 position, but too much aggravation so I left it as is, but works well. So, I was able to MacGyver the switch for a few bucks!

Those printed circuit board switches don't last nearly as long as the old-style switches, but it will work for a while.

The two-position switches are more expensive because Leslie tremolo switches are pretty much the only application that still uses them. They have to be ordered from the switch manufacturer in smaller runs, so the price per switch is higher.

As you've found, you can use the 3-way switches. They are still made in large quantities for guitars, so the price is lower.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
      Those printed circuit board switches don't last nearly as long as the old-style switches, but it will work for a while.

The two-position switches are more expensive because Leslie tremolo switches are pretty much the only application that still uses them. They have to be ordered from the switch manufacturer in smaller runs, so the price per switch is higher.

As you've found, you can use the 3-way switches. They are still made in large quantities for guitars, so the price is lower.
      You're right about the life span, but I play this thing about 1hr a week, so I'm guessing it'll outlive me!

Comment

Here's a switch for a few more dollars that has conventional contacts...

Comment

Working...
        X