Leslie tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leslie tremolo

I noticed something today that has been bugging me...It seemed that it was not very noticeable that when going from tremolo to chorale on my leslie, until I turned off the vibrato on the organ. Noted that with organ vibrato off, and switching leslie to chorale, it's very noticable and desirable! Does that make sense as I've stated it?

I love that in-between sound from fast to chorale or chorale to fast.

Comment

Yeah, I got in the habit of playing with chorale on "C-3" and when switching leslie back and forth, the effect is somewhat diminished, but shutting off organ vibrato, when you go to chorale, the leslie stops very quickly, and just sounds good because it's more noticable.

Comment

When I have a Leslie on a Hammond, I almost never use the Hammond vibrato. Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

My leslie is a 122A and it acts like it has "dynamic" braking going from tremolo to chorale...when switched, seems to slow down very fast, vs. coast down. Got to do a little homework on this.

Comment

• David Anderson
            David Anderson commented
            Editing a comment
            If a Leslie is optimally adjusted in terms of belt tension, motor condition, etc...., speed changes are pretty quick. On vintage 122s, the slow motor should brake the lower drum. The motor pulley changes speed, and then the belt slips a bit as the drum slows.

Thanks David...I never noticed how quickly the leslie slowed down, until I played without the organs vibrato on. Just a habit for years to use the organ vibrato on "C-3" while using the leslie, and never noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by Organkeys Jones View Post
            When I have a Leslie on a Hammond, I almost never use the Hammond vibrato. Merry Christmas everyone!
            I'm sort of the opposite - when I have a Hammond with scanner vibrato, I almost never use Chorale!
            Current organs: AV, BC, A-100
            Current Leslies: 22H, 142, 147, 760
            Organs in the past: L-100 (several), M-100 (x2), T-100, E-100, CV
            Other keyboards: Roland FP-4, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha TX81Z, Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Korg Krome, Novation Mininova

Comment

With regard to the 122A, i've not checked/adjusted the speeds of the horn/drum yet, as I've just gotten a decent non contact tach, but I'm curious to know if the chorale speed changes when I change the running speeds? In other words if I raise tremolo speed 40 rpm, does the chorale speed also increase 40 rpm, or is it fixed?

Comment

The speed adjustments in the 122A only affect the fast speed.

Geo

Comment

Originally posted by geoelectro View Post
                  The speed adjustments in the 122A only affect the fast speed.

Geo
                  Thanks for the info!

Comment

I definitely prefer the vibrato to be off, especially in majestic gospel music. A simple chorale sound on a grand hymn sounds much better than with vibrato in the background. I love the sound of the 122A, also!

Comment

Working...
                    X