Building a 6122 Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a 6122 Kit

Looking to build a 6122 kit from scratch to connect an M3 to a 122. Has anyone done this successfully? I have the schematic (https://www.fishorgans.com/leslie_kits/006122.pdf). I'm mainly wondering where I can source the proper transformer.
    Hammond L-102 "mobilized", Hammond M-3, Hammond M-101, Hammond T-211, Hohner Cembalet CF, Hohner Cembalet N, Hohner Favor Combo, Hohner Pianet L, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner Symphonic 30N, Leslie "430" (former 130 with horns and light show added), Nord Electro 3, and an entire village of guitars and harmonicas.

I build my own Leslie kits. You can source the proper transformer from Tonewheel General Hospital.

What I don't like about the 6122 circuit for this application is that it appears to me to leave the M3's internal power amp without a load when switched to Leslie only. It's not a good idea to run tube amps without a load on the output transformer as this can damage the output transformer.

Most people want to run the Leslie all the time and be able to switch the internal speaker on and off. This can be done with a toggle switch that replaces the speaker load with an appropriate load resistor.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Is there a more appropriate kit you'd recommend for this application instead? I've done the speaker mute switch for line outs of spinets, would it just be the same thing applied to the 6122 if I were to go with that kit?
      Hammond L-102 "mobilized", Hammond M-3, Hammond M-101, Hammond T-211, Hohner Cembalet CF, Hohner Cembalet N, Hohner Favor Combo, Hohner Pianet L, Hohner Pianet T, Hohner Symphonic 30N, Leslie "430" (former 130 with horns and light show added), Nord Electro 3, and an entire village of guitars and harmonicas.

Comment

I'm not sure what speaker mute circuits you're talking about.

I tend to base my builds on Leslie's circuits found in their older service manuals.
        I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

I was talking about adapting the typical spinet line out circuit to have a switch that mutes the internal speaker while engaging an 8 ohm load resistor.

Comment

• David Anderson
            David Anderson commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, toggling from speaker to an 8 Ohm power resistor is fine. The 6122 circuit, if I'm reading it correctly, simply breaks the circuit to the speaker in Leslie only position.

Hello,

Something like that : Click image for larger version  Name:	5_Switch_AV.JPG Views:	0 Size:	423.7 KB ID:	718643Click image for larger version  Name:	6_Switch_AR.JPG Views:	0 Size:	401.9 KB ID:	718644

I was surprised to find on the Leslie 122 interface of an L100P a vulgar 'machine tool' transformer 0-130 / 0-CT-130 ~100VA.
          And it works fine.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	L100P_L122Interface.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	718645
          ​​​​​​​JP

Comment

My friend ended up finding a Dr. Fishsticks unit to hook up his new 122 to his M3. So building a 6122 kit is off the table...for now.

Comment

Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
              What I don't like about the 6122 circuit for this application is that it appears to me to leave the M3's internal power amp without a load when switched to Leslie only. It's not a good idea to run tube amps without a load on the output transformer as this can damage the output transformer.
              Actually, the 6122 kit is designed to accommodate the amplifier load of internal speaker organs by an array of 6 620 ohm 1/2 watt resistors in parallel, that produce an (approximately) 100 ohm load. When in parallel with the transformer primary winding, I imagine it's SOMEWHAT close to 8 ohms, but I don't recall what the resistance is of that transformer's winding.

That array of 6 resistors is not in the circuit when the kit is used with G-G preamps, because for those installations, you are supposed to cut jumper J2.

It really is a weird kit, but I guess it gets the job done with a minimal parts cost. The worst part is the switches. Just atrocious.

Comment

Working...
              X