Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange transformer in Swedish Leslie 122N

Hi!

I recently purchased a fixer-upper Leslie 122N and am about to update the motor switching with a low voltage relay to make it safer.

I live in Sweden so the the amp is the 234V/250V kind. However someone installed a big transformer right beside upper rotor. The power goes from the power-grid through the transformer and then to the amp.

When I measure the voltage, the voltage into the transformer is 235V in and 245V out. I never seen any schematics that include this transformer. Neither a picture of another Leslie that has it inside the cabinet. Does anyone know anything about it? Do I really need it?

I attached an image of the transformer and an image showing the ratings on the amp.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3179.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	734434Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3181.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	734435

Attached Files

Hello,

With us we have a proverb : When it does not work it is because there are things in excess.
    And the best tool is cutting pliers.

You just have to remove it.

JP

Comment

Thank JP! Guess I have to try. Scary though 😬. My theory is that is a a step up transformer because the power grid in Sweden used to be 220 v (now it's 230v) and the amps rating is 234-250v.

Comment

Why would a step up transformer be up by the horn? Be careful here, especially if you don’t know what this transformer was used for.

Comment

Any extra trafos put in leslies in sweden sits on the upper shelve because its the only place it will fit. As you said most likely a step up transformer. Just remove it and rewire. I have a 234/250 volt in a 147 and in that one theres no extra trafo. Could also be for the swedish S-märkning too. Like sort of a safety transformer.
          A+A20+PR40+145. Novachord.

Comment

May be a transformer hooked up as boosting transformer.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	BoostingX.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	734691
            https://sound-au.com/articles/buck-xfmr.htm
            #4 - Boosting Transformer
            JP

Comment

Working...
            X