Leslie 142 strange noise when speed changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leslie 142 strange noise when speed changes

I'm looking at this Leslie for a friend. It has a solid state relay in the 122 amp and makes this noise through the V21 when going from slow to stop or fast and vice versa. We connected two different C3's with 3 position switches and it happens with both. If the motors are all unplugged it stops. If one or any are plugged in it comes back. Anyone seen this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkBa...el=DrawbarDave
    Hammonds; BCV, M101, M102 White UK Factory Split, T202, R100, L162 chop
    Lowreys; Heritage DSA, Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1
    Farfisas; Compact Duo MK2, Professional 110R, Compact Deluxe, VIP233
    Analog Korg CX3
    Leslies; 147, 145, HL822 ​

Interesting. Have you dressed all motor AC wires as far as possible from the audio circuits? I find that that can sometimes fix problems of switching noises getting into the signal path. Could you provide a photo of the underside of the amp?
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

I don’t have a picture. I’ll double check the AC wiring. From my inspection it looked pretty tidy around the motor sockets and fuse. I reflowed the motor socket connections, 6 pin connector and tube socket connections as a precaution. His previous tech converted the amp from 6W to 6H spec with all new components throughout.

This is the first time I’ve worked on this particular Leslie. I did a mechanical service - stripped, cleaned, lubed and adjusted the motors, replaced the bearings, replaced a few poor condition rubber bushings and fitted missing grommets to the horn spindle. It was quite a noisy box before I serviced it and it could have been doing this since the amp rebuild. I noticed it when I was playing a low C and switching speed, listening for vibration.
      Analog Korg CX3

Comment

Keep in mind one of my principles of diagnostics: If you have a problem, look carefully at all previous non-factory repair work.
        I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

This sounds to me like a slow motor or cabinet issue. It's a vibration and not one of the Good Vibrations... I'd check screws, the slow motor armature. Under the woofer... anything that could be loose.
          I rebuild Hammonds and Leslies. Please visit my website. tbstonewheels.com It's still in the works but is up and running. My personal setup is a Model A # 2203 with Trek II percussion, 122RV and 2 31h's. One is fitted with two speed motors and the other a Hamptone. Also sporting a working Vibratone 30A # 326.

Comment

Is it only occurring while playing audio at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by muckelroy View Post
              Is it only occurring while playing audio at the same time?
              Sometimes it does it without notes being held. It is a kind of distortion sound through the V21, definitely not vibration unfortunately.
              Analog Korg CX3

Comment

Solved! I had an opportunity to work on this Leslie today and discovered that the non standard Neutrik Speakon socket on the amp was the issue. When I held the plug upwards the noise stopped. If I wiggled the plug while the client was switching speed it made a lot of noise. As this Leslie is schlepped round lots of recording studios and live venues, I’ve suggested changing to Amphenol EP series. I’ve seen these on Steve Winwood and Pink Floyd’s Hammonds.
                Analog Korg CX3

Comment

Working...
                X