Conn Speaker Pipe Reference Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conn Speaker Pipe Reference Thread

This topic has come up recently in a couple of other threads, so I'm starting this thread about Conn Speaker Pipes and including reference materials as well as photos. Recently, I found a reference document from the 1970s for installing Conn Organs. I've included a PDF with the information pertaining to Conn Speaker Pipes. The only drawback is that it doesn't contain any information regarding the half-sets of pipes, but I believe I have that in another document I purchased.

I hope this helps someone.

Michael
    1976-ConnSpeakerPipeReference.pdf
    Click image for larger version

Name:	R_IMG_1471.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	920.9 KB
ID:	757991
    Attached Files
    Last edited by myorgan; 02-21-2021, 05:53 PM. Reason: Added for Featured Thread Photo
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

The Conn Speaker Pipes came in two colors: Gold (much more common) and Silver. Other than the color, most of them were the same.

Numbering scheme: Model Number (i.e. 144-Small, 145-Medium, or 146-Large) with the Type listed afterward (i.e. 1-Center, 2-Right, or 3-Left). Neither the smallest (144) or largest (146) have a center type.

I've include some photos of the pipes and am including a description below for each set of pipes.
    • Photo 1–This is a cut-down version of the smallest set of pipes (#144). Don't know why they were cut or for what purpose, but I took them on a lark, so when I get to them, I'll see what they're like inside. I placed them on top of an Allen HC-14 (utility brown) speaker so proportional dimensions can be shown. I emphasized the HC-14 part because some are under the mistaken impression those Allen cabinets are finished wooden speakers.
    • Photo 2
      • The Conn Speaker Pipe Model 144-3 (left elevation) and Model 144-2 (right elevation) speakers are on top of the other Allen HC-14 speakers on the left of the photo. There are 2 Silver versions in the back. They each have 28 pipes in two rows of 14 each. I have noticed the black rack on some are solid, while on others they are elevated so you can see under them (like Model 145). I'm not sure why the difference.
      • The Conn Speaker Pipe Model 145-3 (left elevation) and Model 145-2 (right elevation) are pictured on the right. The Model 145-1 are the center elevation pipes, and they're in a different storage area–photos to come later. They each have 48 pipes in two rows of 24 each.
    • Photo 3–These sets of pipes have 12 pipes, and they are available in both left (Model 146-3) and right (Model 146-2) elevations. To my knowledge, there are no Type 1. which would be center elevated.
    Michael
    Click image for larger version  Name:	R_IMG_1468.JPG Views:	15 Size:	328.4 KB ID:	757569Click image for larger version  Name:	R_IMG_1469.JPG Views:	15 Size:	888.8 KB ID:	757570Click image for larger version  Name:	R_IMG_1471.JPG Views:	15 Size:	920.9 KB ID:	757571
    Last edited by myorgan; 02-18-2021, 06:18 PM.
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

• AllenAnalog
      AllenAnalog commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you trying to corner the market for these? Hoarding?? Brass choir???

The original Conn 144 speakers evidently used two 8-Ohm speakers wired in series. Now that 4-Ohm 6x9 car speakers are commonly available one could install new drivers and have an 8-Ohm unit.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry,

I do have 5 Allen organs, one with 4 channels, three with 7 channels, and one with 13 channels. I have more organ than I have speakers.

The document referenced above does NOT contain information about the 144 speakers, but it does mention that the remainder of the speakers have 4 6x9 speakers wired in series/parallel to make them 8Ω.

Michael

And just for reference, I am putting 305 watts from a Crown amp into a pair of left and right 146 pipes, using the original drivers. Toodles told me I could get away with it, and they are still working great. (I do have a 150 Hz high pass filter engaged). Thank you for the list! (Mine are silver.)
    -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
    -- Rodgers W5000, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3, E112, L-102
    -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

• Silken Path
      Silken Path commented
      Editing a comment
      Hehe - I had blown up three compact Chinese 100w amps using sustained organ tones in Hauptwerk that they just could not handle. The Crown loafs along without it's fan running at 60% power. I'm so happy with it that I'm wondering what else I could power with it.

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      How about your windmill?

Michael

• Silken Path
      Silken Path commented
      Editing a comment
      I was in Audiolab of Georgia in Doraville (a little country in the city) last Thursday looking at some HUGE stage speakers. These were level with my chin. There were two 1Kw ElectroVoices about half the size, too. I imagine those would get on down the road.

That is a nice listing you provided Michael. Is it possible that you could measure some details of the the different sets ? How tall are the pipes at both the long and short ends ? What is the diameter of the longest and and shortest pipe of each type ? How many different diameters does each set use ? It looks like there are only a few diameters used on each set ? How tall are the boxes ? Sorry to make more work for you, but you brought up the subject - LOL.
    Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), FX-20, EL-25 ( X 2, 1 chopped, 1 not ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Baldwin 626. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755.

Comment

• Silken Path
      Silken Path commented
      Editing a comment
      What I'd like to know is if they are really resonant at any specific desired organ frequencies by design. My 643, which cost $5K in 1975, has the pipe terminals coming from the single main amp, and the controls for the pipes are switches on the panel. They're the highest pitched speaker devices I have, (but that could be due to the low-freq bypass in the amp).

• myorgan
      myorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Larry,

I also posted some of that information in the PDF document above.;-) For the rest, we'll have to wait until Winter is over–sometime in May or June.

Michael

• Larrytow
      Larrytow commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael, it was late last night so I just downloaded the PDF, but did not look at it. Will look at it today - thanks.

To answer Lamar's question about resonance.... When I had my Conn pipes torn apart, I checked the "tuning" of each pipe by tapping them with a little metal hammer. I did find that they were tuned quite accurately to a chromatic scale. As to whether or not they actually "resonate" at these pitches when stimulated by the speakers, I can't say, but they do appear to be the right length. Conn was telling the truth about them being "tuned."

I think my set is what you'd call a "medium" size with "right" elevation. Not one of the mini sets, and not one with the long tall pipes either. It was built with four 6x9 speakers, but I replaced the old drivers with two mids and two tweeters to make it a "stereo" set for one of the last organs I had at home before I went VPO.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

• Silken Path
      Silken Path commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, John. The crazy thing is that I just love my Conn pipes. (I'm going to go tap on them.) :)

• jbird604
      jbird604 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like mine too! Good luck!

I need to correct one misprint from the PDF. It says the Model 144 speaker's base is 29-7/8" deep and 6-1/2" high, which is a misprint corrected elsewhere in the document. They are actually 8-1/4" deep, and the 29-7/8" is the overall height of the speaker.

The document does mention they come in gold or silver annodized pipes and have a Walnut base. I believe later on, they included other type bases like imitation Cherry or Oak, but they were quite uncommon.

Michael

Comment

Working...
    X