Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Leslie it is a 330 proline and I have some issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Leslie it is a 330 proline and I have some issues.

Hey there! I have been diving into the world of Hammonds and Leslies lately and have found this forum very educational and useful! Excited to engage with some of these very smart and talented people.

Anyhow let me outline what is going on. I bought a proline 330 and am having some issues with the rotary motors. Basically the main issue I have observed is when I turn on the Leslie Combo preamp III and engage slow, the slow motors move up and turn the rotors slow. All is well there. Though there is a buzzing that starts. I believe it is coming from the power supply, most likely the transformer. Now when I press on fast on the preamp the top slow motor drops out and the fast motor takes over. The bottom slow motor has trouble dropping out. (I understand that might just require some adjustment with the shaft and the rubber ring. Not worried about it. I can push it down with my finger for the time being.) So if I push the bottom slow motor down the fast motor spins fast. I now have both rotors spinning fast. This usually lasts maybe 30 seconds. Then with no change on the preamp the slow motors both move up and both rotors stop or are slowed drastically. I can push down against the slow motor solenoid and the fast motors will spin fast again. Though the solenoid is energized and if I let off the motor will just push up and engage the rubber ring slowing the rotor. If I switch the preamp back to slow they go back to slow. If I go back to fast, sometimes it repeats the issue, sometimes they just stop working all together.

Looking for possible causes of this I am thinking the relays? Though the buzzing that only starts when rotary is engaged has me wondering about that. It changes frequency with the different speeds and goes away a few seconds after rotary is switched off.

I ordered some oil from Tonewheel General and plan to start by pulling the motors out and cleaning and oiling them using the instructions from benton electronics. I am wondering if the reed relays for solid state leslies on Tonewheel General will work for my 330? Its not listed as one of the models in the description.

Any input or ideas on what I should do to get this running normal is welcome. Please remember I am very new to this. Though I do have a background in electronics and mechanics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	83768AE3-FCF7-4439-8035-CA75BB6CCDD1.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	768983Click image for larger version

Name:	E3F9E1F2-50A4-417F-AF18-6F2E4A7FF5BE.jpeg
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	768980Click image for larger version

Name:	7920951E-5204-4B59-A675-12DD75A69F1B.jpeg
Size:	521.8 KB
ID:	768981Click image for larger version

Name:	83768AE3-FCF7-4439-8035-CA75BB6CCDD1.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	768984
    Attached Files

Hello,

Your Leslie is probably in need of a service.
    The diagram is here: http://www.captain-foldback.com/Lesl...matics/330.gif
    You have 2 kinds of problems : -Motor - Hum. And they may be related.
    First of all, you have to try to find the origin Hum by disconnecting the motors to put them out of the question.
    It may be a ground loop problem then, the organ must also be disconnected.
    When fixed, you have to focus on the motors and braking. It is quite complicated, but the diagram gives a useful voltage table.

JP

Comment

Did you check inside the combo preamp pedal? Not saying it would be the same problem but just this week I was using the first version of the combo pedal (020875) checking on the device and noticed the rotors would go into weird spinning by itself. It turned out the aluminum pillars holding the circuit board in the pedal were shorting out the caps that were mm's in proximity. Tight fit in there. After isolating the cap leads from the mounting posts, and tightening the nuts on the posts the pedal returned to normal operation.🤪

If you plan on getting your Pro Line operational, I suggest doing so thoroughly ASAP as these days we don't know how supply chains might lag and or dry up.

Was conversing with Rick at TonewheelGen this week and he mentioned having some supply issues with certain parts.

Comment

Thanks for the Ideas. I serviced the motors and they seem to function fine. I have tracked down the hum and it turned out to be the motor control relays. Each relay is humming when power is directed to it. Im now trying to figure out why. And why that would make the fast and slow to activate simultaneously. I guess I will be replacing them and seeing if that works. Also kinda suspecting the switches in the preamp. Opening it up didn’t reveal much. The mono/stereo switch was loose and I fixed that. Will continue the hunt.

Comment

Simultaneous slow and fast is not abnormal.
          It is braking. But it must be momentary.
          Replace or simply remove C6 22µF / 16V and retry.

JP

Comment

• Tulips253
            Tulips253 commented
            Editing a comment
            Really awesome I will look into that! Thank you JP!

• Tulips253
            Tulips253 commented
            Editing a comment
            I will stress though that this is happening without any prompting when the fast motors have been going for about 30 seconds. Then holds until I switch back to slow or off.

• Tulips253
            Tulips253 commented
            Editing a comment
            When you say remove. Do you mean remove and short the terminals or just take it out?
        Working...
        X