Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F 40

Hi All,

Newbie here. Just pulled this out of a church, F 40 - did these sound good back in the day?

I'm not too good with electronics, mainly multi instrumental player (little bit of organ!), so I'm not going to go and get myself electrocuted. I'm wondering about re-purposing for a home sound system (need an amp right?).

What would y'all do with this?

Thanks!
    Blair
    Floyd, VAClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1117 (1).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	522.1 KB
ID:	781587
    Attached Files

These cabinets are rather rare these days. I've never seen one in person.

Note that the field-coil speakers are integral parts of the amp circuits, so each amp has to be used with a pair of 12" field-coil speakers plugged into it. If you try to use the amp without that specific pair of speakers plugged in, you'll find that they don't work at all. They were designed to be disabled with the speakers unplugged. And the amps require balanced inputs at a higher signal level than what is now standard line level.

Repurposing for a home sound system sounds a bit nutty to me, and if you are "not too good with electronics," then you are essentially telling us that you wouldn't have the skills to do it even if it was a good idea. These were not designed to be HiFi amps or speaker cabinets.

I have heard a similar cabinet, and in my opinion, it does have a cool sound as a stationary Hammond Organ speaker that could be paired with a Leslie for the combination of stationary/rotary sound that some people like.

The amps are at least 64 years old and probably need some service.

Each amp needs one speaker with a 250 Ohm coil and one speaker with a 5,000 Ohm coil. Due to the fineness of the wire on the 5,000 Ohm coils, it's not uncommon to find that the coil has opened up, so that's one of the first things I would check. The 250 Ohm coils are usually still good.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

Hang on. I used to own an FR-40 (like this but with reverb unit) and I never had a fabric screen behind the grille. Did these all come with one? If so this is the first time I have seen the fabric intact!

EDIT: The photo of this in the service manual clearly shows the 12" speakers, so wondering if someone added a fabric grille cloth to this one?
      Attached Files

Comment

Open back set a foot from the wall makes a great baffle.Lots of bass.More than any Leslie can produce when working correctly.40 'real' watts.Biggest one they made.
        A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 Tried to favor the B3 ? No way.

Comment

Thanks for the info David (and everyone else)! Might be more realistic to find a an organ and use the cabinet for that. I think there might be a CV model lurking around I can get my hands on.
          Last edited by Blair Watkins; 09-13-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Where would I find the comparability for hammond organ models with this particular cab?

Comment

All the major Hammond Organ console models from 1935 to 1975 are compatible with this tone cabinet. That includes Model A, AB, BC, D, G, BV/CV, B2/C2, B3/C3, RT series, A100 series, D100.

If you can take a photo of the underside of the amp, I can offer some advice.

Comment

Thanks David!
                Attached Files

Comment

Found this too! Click image for larger version

Name:	FR40 (1).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	781666
                  Attached Files

Comment

At minimum, those three axial-lead capacitors in silver metal tubes (0.33uF and 0.22uF) should be replaced. Parts Express stocks some good choices, axial with relatively long leads.

I don't like the look of those extra cables and wires tacked in there. And the 6-conductor cable may have failing insulation on the individual conductors inside the cable jacket. You can save the end-caps and maybe the connectors, but if you bend the cable and hear cracking sounds, it's time to throw it in the trash. I have seen cases where someone tacked power and audio signal wires into an amp to bypass a bad cable. I would guess this cabinet had both a main cable and a shorter jumper cable (5-pin to 6-pin) inside the cabinet to connect the two amps in parallel.

Also, this amp very much needs to have a ground connection via the output transformer in the organ. Notice that pins 1 and 4 of V1 (6SN7) have no ground reference in the amp. The organ had a center-tapped output transformer secondary winding, so that grounded center-tap in the organ is an essential part of the amp functioning properly.

Hammond very much designed these things as a system dependent on all the parts working together to have it work properly. They were not designed to function as stand-alone powered speakers.

Comment

Working...
                    X