A100 / 145-147 hookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A100 / 145-147 hookup

So I have the above and I have a 6 pin Leslie cable.

I want to have fast/slow and stop functions on the Leslie.

here’s what tonewheel general said to me;

Vintage Leslie speakers can stop their rotors without too much trouble. It requires removing the installed 5 pin EBY plug, removing the jumper on it, and running a pair of wires to a switch mounted on the organ. Somewhat messy, but that's how they did it in the good old days.
    If you would prefer something more modern, a Trek II solid state relay is needed. This requires one to modify the amplifier and the organ's tremolo switch, but no additional wiring is needed between the organ and Leslie.

im in the uk. Can someone point me in the direction of what I need in order to hook it all up. Might sound obvious, but I’d like the half moon switch to control all three functions. I see a lot of half moon switches with just chorus and tremolo on it. I’m assuming that this won’t cut it.

thanks in advance🥴🥴🥴🥴

You can order a three-position half-moon switch and the Trek II EIS-147 relay from Tonewheel General. On an A100, since they have no outlet box, you'll also need a way to mount a 6-pin socket on the organ somewhere.

For studio use, the EIS-147 also has the virtue of being silent, so there's no click to worry about with close mics.
    I'm David. 'Dave' is someone else's name.

Comment

To add to what David stated, the EIS (Trek) relay is a more elegant way to use a COT half moon (chorale-off-tremolo) in that the way Bob Schleicher designed the relay it only uses two wires vs three and the connection to the 5 pin-EBY from a COT switch with an extra wire hanging from the switch with the normal mechanical relay. With Bob's relay you get a "brake" from tremolo with the rotors going into chorale briefly before stopping at 'off ' or if you order the "COAST" EIS/Trek model, coming from tremolo going briefly to chorale and then quickly to 'off ' the rotors will COAST meaning they will spin down slowly by gravity. I've always liked the coast feature though that was before Bob invented his relay. The way that was done with the EBY 5 pin was to remove the relay vacuum tube on the special BRAKE box that connected to the 5 pin socket (on the Leslie amp) to allow for COAST. The extra wire connected to the COT half moon to the OFF position and then spliced onto the EBY 5 pin plug acting like an on/off switch to turn the slow motors off.

The EIS(Trek) relay does away with all that and there is no click sound from the EIS relay as mentioned.

You'll have to specify the voltage if 110 or 220 to get the right EIS Trek relay:

https://trekii.com/products/leslie-s...147-relay.html

But the EIS relay will need to be installed inside the Leslie amp and you'll need to know what you're doing or find someone who does.

Comment

I thought the EIS was installed inside the organ? Tonewheel general mentioned something about the tremolo switch on the a100

Comment

Originally posted by worldcassmusician View Post
          I thought the EIS was installed inside the organ? Tonewheel general mentioned something about the tremolo switch on the a100
          No the EIS goes inside the Leslie amp and replaces the mechanical relay.

https://trekii.com/media/catalog/pro...sm_2_1_1_1.jpg

You'd have to be more specific about what TWG said about the switch on the A100.

Not unless it's being meant to be the three way COT switch needed to go along with an EIS.

https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/images/les-cot.jpg

As David mentioned you'll need to get a 6 pin Leslie cable socket on the A100 and that's another wiring to-do in itself. The EIS works off of one 6 pin Leslie cable from a B3 for example. The Leslie switch control signals including AC power to the Leslie and the audio signal from the organ all go through the 6 pin cable. It's just one cable. But from an A100 maybe someone else knows how to guide you as it's a different system from a normal B3 which usually has a control box for the Leslie but inside the organ.

You'll need this control box inside the organ to connect the half moon including some other parts which I'm not sure what they are. The EIS is a relay. The control box ( 26-1 Console Kit) is a standard Leslie control box for a basic Leslie connection for a 147 to an A100. Correction made.

https://ssl.tonewheelgeneral.com/images/26-1kit.jpg

When it comes to A100's things get spacey connecting a Leslie. You'll need someone who has done it before to guide you. Since you've contacted(?) TWG ask Rick he would definitely know all there is on this project.
          Last edited by Goff; 11-24-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Drawbar Dave should have what you need, he’s in the UK. If you have a two-position half-moon switch, you simply swap in a 3-position Fender style guitar pickup selector switch.
            Tom in Tulsa

Fooling with: 1969 E100, 1955 M3, 1963 M100, Leslie 720

Comment

Originally posted by tpappano View Post
              Drawbar Dave should have what you need, he’s in the UK. If you have a two-position half-moon switch, you simply swap in a 3-position Fender style guitar pickup selector switch.
              Thanks Tom. Yes I have all the bits in stock although I use the newer Locomotion Pro Tornado relay which does the same function these days. If you need to order anything you can contact me through my website link in my signature.
              B3, XB3, XB5, X5, Super B, M102 Factory Split x2, TTR-100, L100,
              145 x3, 251, 760 x2, Farfisa Compact Duo, Compact Deluxe, Lowrey Berkshire Deluxe TBO-1, Heritage DSA, Holiday Deluxe LSO
              drawbardave.co.uk

Comment

• worldcassmusician
                worldcassmusician commented
                Editing a comment
                Sent you an email squire

• Sweet Pete
                Sweet Pete commented
                Editing a comment
                In my fifty + years of recording? Have never used a solid state relay.I defy anyone to hear a click or pop on speed changes.Just another 'improvement' not really needed.And guess who owns Loco Motion? Happy with what Laurens and Don built and designed!
                Still waiting for the V preamp that will allow non vibrato perc from this outfit........follow the money.
            Working...
            X