X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyg
    replied
    Originally posted by David Anderson View Post
    By "box," I mean a metal enclosure into which holes have been punched for Amphenol 6-pin connectors. These would be custom-made for your own use.
    Exactly what our store's engineer made for me. Built like a tank and very carefully made so there was zero possibility of AC mains getting onto the outside of the metal box.

'Y' splitters were fine for later Leslies, you had to have one for a 720/540 combo for example, but of course they weren't handling AC mains.

Leslie themselves did make a 5-way Leslie demo system for 125/145/147 cabinets, but that had its own mains lead for AC power. I did once have 5 leslies connected to that, plus two connected via a 'standard kit' to an L100, and then to a Yamaha B30R. Back then, I wasn't too wary of the impedance that all of them would be presenting to the organ's amps when they were running simultaneously. But the sound was fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• David Anderson
    replied
    My mistake. The interface box in the 125 has the pass-through connector for the 125's own amp. I forgot about that odd arrangement. It's the only amp Leslie built like that.

Leave a comment:

• Miro
    replied
    Power relays of the type kzink posted were meant for very long cable runs or large numbers of tone cabinets. They use the AC switched at the organ to power a relay inside the relay box, and the box has its own power cord, sourcing AC mains from a local outlet for the tone cabinets Thus, little current flows from the organ itself, only enough to switch the relay.
    OK...that makes better sense now why the relay needs to be plugged in.

However, you can also install a power relay in the organ if you don't want the organ's Run switch to carry all the current for tone cabinet(s). These days, with parts getting more expensive and hard to find, it may be smart to do that. You install this relay (choosing your own) in the organ. It is switched by AC from the Run switch, but the current for the tone cabinet(s) comes directly from the organ's AC supply, not through the Run switch.
    Hmm...didn't know about anything like that...though it sounds like it's a bit more work to modify the organ...than using the relay box mentioned above.
    I will have to do some research on that...what kind of relay switch...where to source it, and how best to wire it in.

Also, checking the Leslie 25/125 schematic, the motor interface box (not the amp) has a pass-through socket on the box (S4), so you could plug the 125 into the organ and then plug the 145/147 into the 125's pass-through/extra speaker socket. Helps to read the documents sometimes.
    Mmm...the schematic you are looking at may show a pass-through socket...which of course would simplify all this, and I wouldn't have even thought about "Y" cords and such...
    ...but, I've looked at the actual amp in my 125, and had it pulled out to clean it...and there is no "pass-through socket" on the amp.
    There is a connection for the Leslie's motors, which is a 5-pin...and a connection for the 6-pin cable from the organ's Leslie connector kit.
    Maybe the 125 had a couple of different amp versions...? Mine is the Leslie Type 016857 amplifier.

Leave a comment:

• David Anderson
    replied
    OK, let's back up. Full-size Hammond console organs have metal outlet boxes with 5 knock-outs in them, one for AC input power and the others for tone cabinets, so you could have up to four output sockets on one organ, all neatly wired with no "rigging." Spinets don't have these, so you have to improvise. Making Y-cables with 6-conductor cables has never seemed like a terribly good idea to me, but you could make a box with one male 6-pin connector and two female 6-pin outlets to split one Leslie cable into two. By "box," I mean a metal enclosure into which holes have been punched for Amphenol 6-pin connectors. These would be custom-made for your own use.

Power relays of the type kzink posted were meant for very long cable runs or large numbers of tone cabinets. They use the AC switched at the organ to power a relay inside the relay box, and the box has its own power cord, sourcing AC mains from a local outlet for the tone cabinets Thus, little current flows from the organ itself, only enough to switch the relay.

However, you can also install a power relay in the organ if you don't want the organ's Run switch to carry all the current for tone cabinet(s). These days, with parts getting more expensive and hard to find, it may be smart to do that. You install this relay (choosing your own) in the organ. It is switched by AC from the Run switch, but the current for the tone cabinet(s) comes directly from the organ's AC supply, not through the Run switch.

Also, checking the Leslie 25/125 schematic, the motor interface box (not the amp) has a pass-through socket on the box (S4), so you could plug the 125 into the organ and then plug the 145/147 into the 125's pass-through/extra speaker socket. Helps to read the documents sometimes.

Edit: The one thing I'm not sure about is whether or not the Run switches in the spinets have the same current rating as a B3/C3. A power relay is never a bad idea if it makes a switch last longer.

Leave a comment:

• kzinkmusic
    replied
    You can find the schematic online and maybe a picture too. In a basic sense yes. The relay provides power for the second Leslie and that ac load does not draw any current from the organ or thru that internal Leslie connector. If you were just using the Leslie preamp box to drive a signal from the organ to the two Leslie's you would not need the power relay, as it should handle two Leslie's by itself.

Leave a comment:

• Miro
    replied
    Pre-1963 Leslies have daisy-chain outlets for additional cabinets on the amp chassis. No, I don't jury-rig things.

You can also add an additional outlet socket for a second cabinet to your organ. I can't recall what setup you have.

I've also seen one stand-alone box someone made as a 6-pin Leslie splitter.
    Well that's what I meant by "jury-rig"...basically splicing in another socket at the Leslie adapter or making a "Y" cable.
    I have the M-100...it's all direct wired into its amp...no sockets. It has the add-on Leslie adapter that works either with my 145 or 125.

Originally posted by kzinkmusic View Post
    Leslie 6 Pin Splitter / Y cable for 147 122 145 - 6' 6ft | Reverb This is a custom-made splitter on Reverb, I have found power relays used on E-bay for about $150Leslie 6 pin power relay 034496 | Reverb I like the power relay for its versatile usage in running multiple Leslies. Some organs like your M-3 have internal speakers and final amps. This draws more power than just running the organ and a pre-amp like most full consoles. Leslie 145 40 watts Leslie 125 20watts plus the M-3's internal speaker 11watt and all those motors is a pretty big current draw.
    Thanks for the links. I did some searching yesterday and didn't find any current listings...just sold ones like those two.

Like I said...mine is an M-100...though I'm not sure how much different it is from the M3 as far as the power stuff goes. It has the 3 speakers, and the reverb amp (which isn't working at the moment).

One thing I'm curious about with that relay box...why the power cord?

If I run my cable from the M-100 via the Leslie connector kit that is installed...that cable already has AC power that feeds the Leslie...so if I use that relay, I don't see why I would need to plug it into additional AC power...unless the relay "breaks" just the AC coming from the M-100 for the second Leslie and it only gets the other signal wires from the main cable, and then the plugged in relay provides the power just to the second Leslie..???
    If I could see the inside of the relay, it would probably all makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• kzinkmusic
    replied
    Leslie 6 Pin Splitter / Y cable for 147 122 145 - 6' 6ft | Reverb This is a custom-made splitter on Reverb, I have found power relays used on E-bay for about $150Leslie 6 pin power relay 034496 | Reverb I like the power relay for its versatile usage in running multiple Leslies. Some organs like your M-3 have internal speakers and final amps. This draws more power than just running the organ and a pre-amp like most full consoles. Leslie 145 40 watts Leslie 125 20watts plus the M-3's internal speaker 11watt and all those motors is a pretty big current draw.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    commented on 's reply
    Simple splitter box to power two 145/147 Leslies. Two female sockets in the box with a male pigtail lead. Some models of Conn organ were fitted with two 6 pin sockets for a pair of 51, 251 or 351 Leslies.

• David Anderson
    replied
    Pre-1963 Leslies have daisy-chain outlets for additional cabinets on the amp chassis. No, I don't jury-rig things.

You can also add an additional outlet socket for a second cabinet to your organ. I can't recall what setup you have.

I've also seen one stand-alone box someone made as a 6-pin Leslie splitter.

Leave a comment:

• Miro
    replied
    Originally posted by andyg View Post
    As David said, there is absolutely no need for a power relay if you're using two leslies, whether type W, C or H. I've done it many times.
    OK...so just to again ask maybe a dumb question...how were you connecting 2 Leslie cabs without the relay?
    Was it some jury-rigged "Y" splicing of wires to feed both...or was it something else?
    All I can think of is to splice in wires for the second Leslie and daisy-chain them that way. Is there some other way to do it that I'm not seeing?

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    As David said, there is absolutely no need for a power relay if you're using two leslies, whether type W, C or H. I've done it many times. I've actually had three going at one time without a power relay, but it's not something I'd really recommend!

Those things have made a lot of money for Leslie/Hammond/Dealers over many years! :)

Leave a comment:

• Miro
    replied
    These relays are available at any Hammond / Leslie accessory store.
    Wow...$250-$300 for a couple of connectors in a box!
    No wonder some people do it without them. ?

Leave a comment:

• kzinkmusic
    replied

https://hammondorganco.com/.../6-pin-leslie-power-relay-leslie-122-or-147 These relays are available at any Hammond / Leslie accessory store.

Leave a comment:

• Miro
    replied
    You can safely run two Leslies without a power relay...
    Are you just kinda wiring them together in some fashion to achieve a daisy chain?
    I was actually looking for a "box" that let me do that...but the relay picture above just didn't hit home that it was the exact thing I needed...I was too focused on the speaker disucssion.

Leave a comment:

• Miro
    replied
    Maybe you know what a power relay looks like but; that picture is a power relay so that you can safely run two Leslies with one organ.
    Ahh...OK. I just wasn't sure what I was seeing in the picture, and what you were responding to by posting it. I was still thinking it was something to do with the speaker discussion.
    Do you know who sells those...?...and thanks for the information, it would certainly make it easy for hooking up two Leslies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X