This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI Instrument Control?

It has been a few months since I've read or posted anything about MIDI. I'm presently at a show-stopper point and I'd love some input from others who have possibly set up systems of a similar nature. I basically have some carillon instruments that have small solenoids that probably wouldn't draw more than an organ magnet. (The pipe organ has a Peterson system already installed!) What I want to do is one of the following:</p>

1. For one system I would like to wire a MIDI system to replace the huge cabling between the console and control box. I'm curious if it would be possible eventually to replace everything with MIDI signals. Effectively the instrument can be controlled from the console manually, or played automatically from the automation system. I'd optimally like to have output boards drive the solenoids and input boards on the control system and the console. Is this possible?</p>

2. I have another system which presently has no automation, however I would like to use a computer or other device (possibly a MIDI playback device) to automatically control the instrument. I'd love to be able to record from the console, and have the console send MIDI which drives the various strikers. This would be very similar to pipe organ control, with the side option of some autonomous device which plays clock chimes or music on request (which I presume could just be set up to provide MIDI input and strike the rods).</p>

Is there an affordable and fairly straightforward solution here? The consoles also have resistive expression pedals that I'd like to use to
    control volume. How does one replicate the functionality of a potentiometer volume control on the
    decode side?</p>

Thanks for any suggestions you may have - I'm really looking forward to having these instruments serve in a more useful manner!
    </p>
    Corey

Allen MDS-41-S with MIDI-DIVISION-II
    Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce
    - MIDI Retrofit finally underway & Moller console in need of refurbishment
    Schulmerich Campanile Digital Carillon (Cast & Harp)

Re: MIDI Instrument Control?

see midibox.org

Comment

Hello, You should also investigate options offered by www.midiboutique.com ContactJordan, via e-mail, as they are in Bulgaria. I have midified an Allen TC4 with great success. I found that this company is great for customer service and promptness. But, that is not to say that some others may fit your intent for the instrument and its workings, as well. I am sure midibox is good too, but Midiboutique was a better fit for what I wanted to do in the timeframe I wanted to do it in. I hope this helps.</P>

Comment

Thanks for the prompt replies - I suppose I should really be asking WHAT do I use from the various solutions and is this readily possible. I considered going the MIDIBox route and may still do so, but I thought I should again explore my options and find out what exactly everyone is using from the various companies.</p>

For the more complex instrument, are you folks using the existing relays or can any of these solutions also take care of that functionality?
        </p>
        Corey

Schulmerich Carillon Americana - 61 notes Flemish / Harp / Celesta / Quadra / Minor Tierce

Comment

Another concern is if these devices can be set to convert various signals to separate MIDI channels for proper sheet music to playback functionality.
          Corey

Comment

Working...
          X