This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi and organ

I have the opportunity to purchase either an Allen or a Rodgers organ. Both of them have MIDI capabilities and stops for MIDI on great, MIDI on swell,and MIDI on pedal. Whenn we get to an agreed on price, I will purchase one of these organs (they are similar size/rank/manual models and both about 10 years old). Now what do I have to do to get a MIDI to work with the organ and, hopefully, my computer and authoring software? I know NOTHING about electronics other than to turn them on and use them, so please start at the very beginning, a very good place to start. When you read you begin with A B C when you sing you begin with Do Re Mi, Sorry, couldn't help myself! Are there good MIDI modules, which are the "better" brands. I have heard over and over again about Alesis, bu t I really know nothing. </P>

All help appreciated.</P>

Re: Midi and organ

Allen Organ Co. sells their instruments with optional MIDI capabilities and I would assume that they would sell individual MIDI units. Hope this helps!!

Comment

What do you want to do? Do you want to link the organ to a computer to record what you play, edit as required, and then get the computer to play back using the organ sounds? For this, you'll need a sequencer programme, now commonly called a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). With the appropriate leads (and possibly a new soundcard for your computer) you'd also be able to take the organ's audio sounds and record them, so you then burn a CD of your playing, say.
      </p>

Or do you want to add extra sounds to the organ's specifications? If so, what kind of sounds? You'll need a sound module for this (Allen do one called the Allen Ensemble - it's sitting on my desk for a review/test right now). Some make organ sounds, some make orchestral sounds, some do both. And then, of course, you can use 'virtual' organs and 'virtual' instruments on your computer, driven by playing the organ's keys and pedals. </p>

Organs include Hauptwerk, J-organ and Miditzer, and there are more orchestral and instrumental software instruments than you can shake a stick at!</p>

The possibilities are vast.
      </p>
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Thanks for the information. I am really looking to add instruments more than record and edit music. I suppose if I could have a module that would do both at a reasonable price, I might get into recording and editing. I would like to add contemporary music voices, guitar, sitar, banjo, etc and orchestral instruments. If I could also get something with some theater organ type settings or combos that would be great. </P>

Jon</P>

Comment

I'll just mention that stop controls are handled differently on each, the Allen using NRPNs and the Rodgers using SYSEX. The NRPNs are somewhat easier to deal with.

Comment

Working...
          X