X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making backing tracks for organ, removing organ from midi or mp3 files

Hi folks,</p>

Although I have 3 midi-capable keyboards, I have never done anything with midi files except download and listen to them. What I would like to do is remove the organ instrumental from either midi files or mp3's in order to play along with the songs and have my own "built-in-band." Not sure if I need the keyboards to to this or just play the file through my stereo. I have heard backing tracks for guitar but finding them for rock songs for organ (particularly Santana) is nearly impossible. I am on a new Mac Book laptop and have Garage Band and Audacity but can't figure out how to do this, although I have read that separate instrumental tracks can be accessed and deleted in midi files and somehow instruments muted on mp3's. I did import a midi file in Audacity but can't fathom how to get at the instrumental tracks on the squares with the different colors. I'd like to try both ways as some midi instruments sound kind of cheesy but would do for practice.</p>

Thanks</p>

Bob
    </p>
    http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
    1959 Hammond M3
    1961 Hammond A101
    VB3 with M Audio Axiom
    1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
    1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
    2011 Neo Ventilator
    Casio WK-7500
    Yamaha P50m Module
    Roland VR-09
    Casio PX-5S

Re: making backing tracks for organ, removing organ from midi or mp3 files

Hey Bob,</p>

I don't think it's possible with .mp3s, but with MIDI files, I know you can take them apart--I just haven't tried it, and don't use MIDI in Audacity ever.</p>

</p>

.... depending on the song, I might be able to put together some basic mp3's for you as I record and multitrack stuff in my spare time, not terribly well, but mostly for fun. I do a lot of that on my keyboard and usually just add bass/guitar/drums over whatever I have sequenced on the EX7. I don't often use MIDI to do that but I suppose you could. </p>

Check out my version of "Won't Get Fooled Again" in my videos on youtube for a sample of what I'm talking about--not great recording quality or playing on everything, but a mostly complete version of the song.</p>

I would love to do a Santana song or two provided I can get my guitarist friend to play the solos!</p>

Anyway I would recommend googling the MIDI business as I'm pretty sure it can be done, just don't know how.
    </p>
    1955 M3 (in good hands!)
    1962 A100
    1942 BC
    too many other keyboards...

Comment

Re: making backing tracks for organ, removing organ from midi or mp3 files

I figured out how to do it with Midis on Garage Band. Pretty easy. You download the midi file-there are a lot available for free and I think I read that Harmony Central has a search engine for them. Create a new project, Drag &amp; Drop the file into the tracks section, mute the instrument (s) you don't want and save it as an Mp3 file. The drums, bass &amp; guitar are mostly passable but the organ sounds like a toy organ sometimes! Some songs are done better than others. The "Evil Ways" midi, with its whacked-out horn section is almost useless but "Soul Sacrifice" and many others are quite decent
      </p>

There are probably similar sound editing programs available for PC's</p>

Bob</p>

</p>
      http://www.petty-larceny-band.com/

Yamaha DGX-300
      1959 Hammond M3
      1961 Hammond A101
      VB3 with M Audio Axiom
      1975 Leslie 130 upgraded with V21 top rotor, tube amp, wood lower rotor
      1972 Leslie 825 upgraded with top rotor, etc.
      2011 Neo Ventilator
      Casio WK-7500
      Yamaha P50m Module
      Roland VR-09
      Casio PX-5S

Comment

Working...
      X