X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help With Hauptwerk

Hi,</P>

I have downloaded the free version of the hauptwerk virtual organ. I have a yamaha keyboard with a midi in and out and I have the M-AUDIO midisport 2x2 interface. I have installed the driver for the interface on my computer and everything works fine. I just do not know how to use my keyboard with hauptwerk! I don't understand how all of the midi yoke stuff works and I just want to play my keyboard with hauptwerk. </P>

Can sombody please help me with this?</P>

Thanks!</P>

Joel</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Re: Please Help With Hauptwerk

Hi Joel! Take a look at section III of th Install/User Manual, the Quick Start section, and be sure the Hauptwerk settings for audio output and midi input are looking good. Also, you'll undoubtably need to check on the keyboard channel settings. I don't know your Yamaha keyboard, so at this point I don't know what if anything it is sending out of the midi port. If you have a model number for the Yamaha I'll download a user manual (if available) and see what channel it sends on and what you might need to configure. Hauptwerk has the capability of logging the midi input. You could turn that on and see what it tells you. This is definitely DIY in that every combination of equipment requires digging information out of manuals, and/or log files and test programs. But stick with it as the results are well worth the effort.</P>

Are you able to play the HW organ using the mouse? Just trying to verify if you are having problems with midi input only. Good luck!</P>
    http://www.kinkennon.com

Comment

Thanks John. I have the Yamaha YPT-300. Yeah, I can play the organ and use everything on the computer perfectly. It might also be my midi interface. I have the M-Audio Midisport 2x2 and I have always had problems with the software and using it. Just a thought. But thanks I am new to Hauptwerk. I play the organ and I wanted a way toinexpensivelypractice the organ at home.

Comment

Hauptwerk won't start if it doesn't see a midi device so I'm guessing it saw the midisport 2x2. It looks as if you need to turn off Local Mode on the Yamaha keyboard. If I read the manual correctly (?) you would press and hold the Demo button for longer than a second to go to PC mode. Then you would use the + and - buttons to go to PC2 which would turn of Local Mode (silence the keybd) and would also do a couple of other settings. I think the default would be for acoustic piano to send on channel 1, but I'm not sure. If you try playing some notes and then check the midi log in HW it should report what channel is being received. Or you could just try the first 16 midi channels from the HW General Settings menu. Let us know if any of this is helping.... Best of Luck!</P>

Comment

Thanks John! I figured it out. My midi interface actually appeared under the midi yoke menu so all I had to do was select that and set it for the great manual. I realized that when I play full organ, lots of notes cut out and I cant play fast (only on full organ) is this because of the speed of my midi interface or is this just because I have the free version and the polyphony is low?

Comment

I didn't see anything about what audio interface you are using. HW really needs a pro-audio qualityinterface, primarily in order to take advantage of the ASIO drivers with their lower latency. I've also seen mixed reviews about the midisport as well, but some folks seem to do fine with them. </P>

On the other hand, it's easy to check whether you are exceeding the limited polyphony of the free edition. Just start up HW in evaluation mode for either the basic or advanced editions. These unlicensed versions will annoy you with a periodic beep (!), but will operate normally in all other respects. Your dropped notes will probably disappear. With my so-so dual-core 32-bit computer running Vista with 3 GB of RAM I don't have polyphony issues with the smaller sample sets that I've run.</P>

Comment

Thanks John. I was planning on buying a new more "advanced" midi interface. Do you know if there is a way that I can import a midi file from my documents and have hauptwerk play it for me?

Comment

Lots of Hauptwerk users are hoping that the next major release will include a built in midi sequencer to support easy recording and playback. Meanwhile you'll notice that there is a second HW program that gets loaded that is labeled "for Midi sequencing". This allows you to configure one version of HW for normal use and a second for operation with a midi sequencer. For now you'd need to provide your own sequencer. There are free sequencers around but I don't know which one to recommend. I have Reaper audio software for adding convolution reverb. It does a nice job with midi sequencing as well and is affordable. HW does have built in audio recording by the way.

Comment

Thanks John,</p>

I just have a couple more questions:</p>

Do you know of any low cost speakers that I could use with Hauptwerk that sound decent</p>

I also want to buy an expression pedal. I'm on a low budget and I was wondering if you know of any that are easy to use and cheap.</p>

</p>

Thanks! Joel</p>

Comment

Does someone have a suggestion about speakers or an expression pedal? I'm running short of good ideas on both these subjects. Most of the stand-alone pedals need to plug into a midi controller such as an existing keyboard. I think your keyboard supports a sustain pedal, but not expression. I know there would be a lot of opinions on speakers -- I'd be looking at studio monitors with decent power handling. Craigslist is a the best source for bargains I'd imagine. I don't prefer headphones, but there are a lot of folks who wouldn't listen any other way. Enjoy!

Comment

Regarding an inexpensive expression pedal:</p>

You might try using one of these.</p>

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCV100.aspx</p>

I got one a couple of years ago for about $25.00 USD. It will control two line level signals at the same time. You would insert it between your sound card output(s) and the power amp input(s).</p>

One down side is that the angle isn't right for an organ expression pedal--it lies too flat. You could fix this somewhat by putting it on a tilted platform. Another down side is that it requires power. You can use a battery eliminator (wall wart) with it, though. Yet another downside is that you are just turning the volume up and down and would not get any tonal changes.</p>

On the other hand, you did ask for cheap...</p>

Best regards,</p>

Andy Hall</p>
                      Allen TC-3S, Rodgers 321, Rodgers 660, Rodgers 990

Comment

That would work just fine. Right now I am trying just to adjust the volume with a pedal instead of having to reach down and turn down the amplifier.</p>

Just interested for the future...</p>

How much do you think midi expression pedal that you could use for say thecrescendopedal in hauptwerk would cost?</p>

Comment

If you still need help, contact me: cole (at) heavyorgan.org.

Comment

Working...
                          X