This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help to set up sound module

Hi, I am new to this forum, this is actually my first post.
    My keyboard is a SX-PX6 Technics digital piano. I love it, but it doesn't have any organ sounds. The guy I recently bought my pedalboard from threw also in an old Roland D-110 sound module and assured me it works. So I thought I could use it to get me started, before I eventually end up getting a computer for my setup, with Hauptwerk or similar software (in some future time...).
    I am very new to MIDI, know barely the basics, but I could not make it work. I hooked up midi out from my piano to midi in on the module. Both are on chanel 1 and the green light on the module goes on when I press any key on the piano. So it is sending the signal, but there is no sound. Just the sound of the piano, which on the other hand does not seem to have a local off switch (?). I tried listening to the sound either by connecting headphones to the sound module or connecting its L(mono) audio out to the AUX connection in the piano. I have the manuals for everything, but that hasn't helped. The output level in the module is set at 100 (for the tone? part? timbre? all that is quite confusing to me), and I crank the volume knob all the way to the max and there is no sound. On the other hand, I can listen to the tunes in the module in ROM play, both through the headphones or through the speakers in my piano. Which seems to confirm that the module actually works (?)...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Allen TC-3 with gyrophonic speaker cabinet.
    Classic 'AGO' MIDI Pedalboard from Classic Organ Works.
    Technics SX-PX6 Digital Piano.
    Roland D-110 Sound Module.

Hi Pachinko,

If I recall correctly, the Roland D-110 sets its eight channels starting from MIDI channel 2, not 1... so try changing to MIDI channel 2 and see if that makes a difference?

When you're ready to get software based organs onto your computer just let us know as well... there is plenty of help that can be given. So ask all the questions you need to

GrahamG

Comment

Hi GrahamG,

Thank you for responding. No, it has 16 midi channels, from 1 to 16.
      I made some progress since my last post. My problem was with the different 'parts' in the module and which ones had assigned midi channel one. So for now I am working with part 1 only and assigned midi channel 1 to that. (I just realized that there are 8 parts plus one labelled R for percussion). By doing that I am getting sound through the AUX port in my piano and its speakers.
      But some new problems reared their ugly heads, so to say...
      The way I am set up, midi out of pedalboard to midi in of piano, midi out of piano to midi in of sound module, and L audio of module to AUX in of piano, I get the following. Sounds from the pedalboard are the 5 or 6 possible presets on the keyboard, no organ sound possible like this as the pedalboard does not access the sound module; sounds from the keyboard are the ones from the sound module, but also superimposed one of the presets from the keyboard, no way to turn those off and as I mentioned before the piano does not have a 'local off' switch. The presets of the keyboard can be muted by turning the volume on the keyboard all the way to 0: that does not affect the volume coming from the sound module, which is controled from the module itself. However when I turn the volume of the keyboard off I have no sound from the pedals!!
      I will have to set this differently, I guess, perhaps I need to use the midi through on the sound module? Somehow I should be able to get different sounds from the pedalboard and from the keyboard.

Comment

How you connect them together will depend on which sounds you want the pedalboard and/or the keyboard to play.

If you want the pedalboard to play both the the internal keyboard sounds and the sound module then connect: pedalboard midi out to keyboard midi in; and keyboard midi THROUGH to sound module midi in (but the keyboard will not be able to play the sound module as it appears from the OM I downloaded that the keyboard does not merge the midi in to its midi out)

If you want the pedalboard to play the the internal keyboard sounds and the keyboard to play the sound module then connect: pedalboard midi out to keyboard midi in; and keyboard midi OUT to sound module midi in

If you want the pedalboard to play the internal keyboard sounds and the sound module sounds as well as having the keyboard also play the sound module (i.e trigger the sound module's organ sounds using both the keyboard and pedalboard) then you won't be able to do that with the connections available to you. You'll need a midi merger.
        Last edited by Momboc; 07-28-2011, 05:58 PM.
        My MIDI controlled, module and software driven virtual 'organ' thread is here: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post427320

Comment

Momboc:
          As you said, possibility 1 does not work.
          Possibility 2 does not work for me either because, as I said, I get simultaneous sound from the sound module and keyboard sounds on the keyboard. Only way I've found to mute keyboard sounds is with volume control on keyboard turned to 0. However that also mutes the pedalboard, which defeats the purpose.
          The only possibility left is 3. This seems acceptable as I will be able to get organ sounds in both the keyboard and the pedals. Therefore I will need to get that midi merger....

Thank you!

Comment

I use a Midi Solutions 'quadramerge' 4 into 1 Merger to connect two midi keyboards, a pedalboard and a sequencer PC into my sound modules and it works fine. They have two models:

a 2 into 1: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm
            and a 4 into 1: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqmr.htm

Although it costs more initially, I would get the 4 into 1 unit because this will allow you to add extra keyboards/midi controllers later on.

Both Mergers get their power from the MIDI cable.
            My MIDI controlled, module and software driven virtual 'organ' thread is here: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post427320

Comment

Great advice. Thank you!

Comment

OK, I connected both the pedalboard and the keyboard to the D-110 sound module via the quadramerge and it works fine, but I ran into some other type of problems. First of all I don't like much the organ sounds on the D-110. The pipe organ sounds seem to be "mixture" type and therfore do not go well on the pedals, or on the keyboard for that matter, as everything starts to sound muddied and confusing on the keyboard, also almost strident. So I tried to build some kind of simple "baroque German organ sound" using the sounds on the module: English Horn on the pedals (channel 1, part 1) and on the keyboard (channel 2) English Horn (part 2), Cello 1 (part 3), and Flute 2 (part 4). This worked well when playing a Bach sonata, as there are never more than three voices or notes sounding simultaneously (I wish I had 2 keyboards for this, but I will have to manage with one for now...). However when playing a more complex piece, I ran into the extremely annoying problem of having some of the notes not sounding at all
                I guess I have reached the limit of how many sounds can be played at the same time on the D-110. How can I avoid this? Do I have to limit myself to using only one part for the keyboard? Is it possible to get a card with organ sounds somewhere? Would it help to get rid of the velocity data from the keyboard somehow?

Comment

Hi,

If organ sound and response is what you are after, I would suggest you replace the D-110. The is a synthesis module that has got to be nigh 20 years old. Also, limited polyphony, probably at best has 24 or 32 oscillators.

If you are wanting classical organ type sounds, there are some organ expanders out there, more so on the used market. Or you could try an organ keyboard such as what Viscount and Roland makes.

AV

Comment

Thanks, but I am just trying to get by for a little while until I can save some money for a more elaborate setup...
                    Not succeeding so far (with the saving nor with the getting by).

Comment

Use free software to get that better (and more polyphony) organ sound. jOrgan uses the lowest amount of computing resources, then comes GrandOrgue. Both run in Linux and Windows, so if you want to give them a try, let me know & point you in the right direction.

GrahamG

Comment

Thank you Yes, I would like to try that.
                        So far I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista that I use for office work, that I could perhaps use for this too? I don't have an interface though...

Comment

If your keyboard doesn't have a USB port, then a USB-> MIDI cable can be bought at a fairly decent price (there are some really cheep ones on the market, but they sometimes have issues). Then yes, Windows Vista is fine. For more information on jOrgan see the jOrgan WIKI at https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawi...e=Introduction, and for GrandOrgue sample sets and info see http://www.magle.dk/music-forums/ele...igital-organs/ and sourceforge.net/projects/ourorgan/

Kind regards,
                          GrahamG

Comment

AV was spot on. I found specs here (http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/_inc...cfm?synthid=22) & preset list here (http://soundprogramming.net/manuals/...110_Manual.pdf - starting p101):

Polyphony: 32 (max)
                            Multi-timbral: 9 (I think 1 for rhythm & 8 parts for everything else).

So, with presets each comprised of from 1 to 4 partials, polyphonic compositions (up to 10 fingers - add more for a pedal board!) can very quickly exhaust the available real estate

I have more than enough capacity driving a Roland XV-2020 (Polyphony = 64 voices, Parts/Multi-timbral = 16) with only a 5 -string bass. So, whether by s/w or h/w, you'll likely need to beef your kit up a bit to get it working satisfactorily.

Peter

Comment

Pachinko7 - I use jOrgan, GrandOrgue, and the free version of Hauptwerk on my Lenova Win7 laptop without difficulty. You won't go back to a 20 year old module after hearing these organs.

Comment

Working...
                              X