Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic Stop Labels?

Hi All, first time poster here.

I'm looking to build/retrofit a midi organ console for home use; I've wanted to own an organ for a very long time but never had a chance until recently. I've done a lot of research and am super excited to dig into such a cool project, but an interesting idea came about in the process. With Hauptwerk you can switch organs and therefore the stops will change and if you're dealing with real drawknobs/tabs the labels would have to change too. I've seen other people's solution to this is usually paper/card slide-out labels but this strikes me as extremely clunky. Has there been any further advancements in this area? I was thinking of using tiny e-ink displays like this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3335 Getting a bunch of them and making them as labels for the stops. Has this ever been done before? It would probably be a major technological hurdle but it would really make the organ unique!

I would also be interested if anyone has any info on Hauptwerk's ability to share the stop readouts and/or whether there's an API for handling this sort of thing. I saw a thing in regard to two-line LCD displays but that seems to be a separate thing. Any info would be helpful!

Yup, it's been done. Check out Johannus LIVE. To the best of my knowledge, that console was the first commercially available one with e-ink displays at the drawknobs.

http://www.organforum.com/forums/showthread.php?37067-Johannus-LiVE&highlight=e-ink

Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

MIDI Boutique sells their e-paper displays specifically designed for organ builders. Check http://midiboutique.com/estop.
      http://www.kinkennon.com

Comment

Those are very cool displays! They seem to be using the same protocol as the LCDs out of Hauptwerk so setting it up shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks!

Comment

Now wouldn't it be cool to embed something like this onto a drawknob?! https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...437943807.html

It would probably super expensive and complicated, but I'd love to try one day.

Comment

I realise that this thread is rather old now but I thought this information might be of interest:
            I have developed a system of hardware and software which enables Hauptwerk (current v4 only) to display stop text, organ name and organ divisions on up to 120 electronic displays. Up to 60 displays can be accommodated on each stop jamb, left & right. The displays are updated automatically when an organ is loaded.
            I have built four prototypes of this system, and have now settled on my final design. The software for the prototypes is working, whilst the software for the final design is not quite complete.
            My system also allows text other than the stop names to be displayed: thus, my final design can display the organ name, location, builder and dates on displays dedicated to that information. In addition, the organ division names can be displayed at the head of each divisional column of stops.
            At some point in the coming year, I hope to release the design and the software (with the microcontroller which runs the system) for use, with instructions on how to implement the system in Hauptwerk. Depending upon any changes required to Hauptwerk v5, the system may be available for that version as well.
            To give you a flavour of what the early prototypes looked like, here is an illustrative shot of the first prototype:
            Three such boards will work together to display up to 60 stops per stop jamb.

This shows the central board (number two of three) which has retrieved & displayed the Swell Stop labels for the St Anne's swell division.
            Incidentally, during setting up an organ for use with this system, the stop text is shown in real time as you edit it! That makes it easier to get line breaks in the correct place.
            The pairs of displays show left & right justified text, as the stop switches, drawstops or buttons will be mounted alongside their respective label. I may post a picture of the final dsign in due course.

Best wishes,

Kenneth Spencer.
            Kenneth Spencer
            Book - All about Hauptwerk: Get it here
            Book - All about your Computer: Get it here
            Site - Organ Project: See it here
            You never know, my books about Hauptwerk & Computers might tell you something you never knew!

Comment

• Admin
              Admin commented
              Editing a comment
              Great work. Please keep us updated on further progress.

• voet
              voet commented
              Editing a comment
              This is impressive. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks, I will do that!
            Kenneth Spencer
            Book - All about Hauptwerk: Get it here
            Book - All about your Computer: Get it here
            Site - Organ Project: See it here
            You never know, my books about Hauptwerk & Computers might tell you something you never knew!

Comment

Working...
            X