Device to output custom MIDI messages upon contact closure input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device to output custom MIDI messages upon contact closure input

As I move towards installing some kind of rack or tabletop MIDI sound generator (like a Roland Fantom XR) on my Allen ADC-5300 I find myself wondering if there is any kind of off-the-shelf device that will output a string of custom MIDI messages upon receipt of a contact closure input? That way I could have a simple pre-set panel to call up patches and then use the MIDI note output from the Allen to play the notes.

I can imagine an Arduino or Raspberry Pi solution. I've not played with either one but perhaps someone has already created a similar device. I'm not interested in starting from scratch and writing my own code, other than the MIDI messages that would be output.

Suggestions appreciated.
    Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Have a look at this encoder

It can be configured to send MIDI strings of up to 32 bytes

http://midiboutique.com/MIDI-Encoders/hwce2
    My MIDI controlled, module and software driven virtual 'organ' thread is here: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post427320

Comment

Larry,

There is a thing called a "Launchpad" that is used by many in the VPO community as a sort of ready-made preset or stop system. It can be programmed to send any of 64 MIDI messages of your choosing with the touch of a square spot on the surface. I don't have any experience using it, but a lot of folks seem to use it alongside their MIDI-equipped keyboards to run Hauptwerk and other software. I don't know if you have to plug it into a computer or if it can stand alone or just connect directly to another MIDI device.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Check out this: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodf8.htm

8 contact closure inputs; it can do program changes and more.

Comment

Thanks for these ideas. I'll start reading the manuals for them to see how they might work for my scheme and potential MIDI message requirements for the synths I'm considering.

It looks like the Launchpad Pro is required to get standalone operation and a direct MIDI output. (And here I was thinking that the color touchscreen on the Allen being discussed on another thread looked gaudy!)

Does anyone have direct experience with any of the devices suggested so far?
          Larry is my name; Allen is an organ brand. Allen RMWTHEA.3 with RMI Electra-Piano; Allen 423-C+Gyro; Britson Opus OEM38; Saville Series IV Opus 209; Steinway AR Duo-Art, Mills Violano Virtuoso with MIDI; Hammond 9812H with roll player; Gulbransen Rialto; Roland E-200; Mason&Hamlin AR Ampico piano, Allen ADC-5300-D with MIDI.

Comment

I'm using Behringer TC64 controllers that emulate the discontinued Novation Launchpad S. About a year ago the Behringers could be found on eBay for under $50, but prices seem to have crept up to the $100 range which is strange because I believe it's also discontinued.

Anyway, the MIDI output messages are not programmable on this unit or the Launchpad S AFAIK. Each pad outputs a note on/off message. A quick perusal of the Launchpad Pro manual didn't reveal any means to program the messages either, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

I'm using my pads with Hauptwerk which can control the color of each button. If you're concerned about appearance, you don't have to illuminate the buttons.
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
            Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Please also check out Tom Scarff's website, midikits.net. Tom lives in Dublin, Ireland and creates a host of Arduino based DIY kits. He also custom programmed the midi processor for my Hammond X77-B rebuild.
              Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Thanks for that link. I'll check it out. The key to making it work the way I want will be the ease with which I program the MIDI messages that each contact closure will produce. They won't change often but I don't want to re-write code and download it each time I want to make a change. So some level of user interface to a PC would be ideal.

Comment

Working...
                X