Computer for VPO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer for VPO

Going to be getting my computer this week. I have a few questions per Hauptwerk Requirements
    Are i7's all quad core? Also, are SSD's thee best way to go?
    Thanks
    Allen 5300-DK, Hammond A-105, Conn Custom 905-DK

Nearly all new i7's (8th generation) have 6 cores (plus hyperthreading - 12 threads. The i7-8559U has 4 cores). Many new i5's have 6 cores too. https://ark.intel.com/products/coden...87/Coffee-Lake

SSD would certainly speed things up, but I would think once everything is loaded into memory it wouldn't matter what the storage device is. I think it would be better to get more memory for the extra price of the SSD. But that's just me guessing.
    John
    Allen MDS-317 at home / Allen AP-16 at Church / Allen ADC-3100 at the stake center

Comment

Originally posted by Hamman View Post
      Going to be getting my computer this week. I have a few questions per Hauptwerk Requirements
      Are i7's all quad core? Also, are SSD's thee best way to go?
      Thanks
      No, all i7's do not have four cores. I have seen six core i7's and have heard of there being eight core i7's. I think its agreed that a 250GB to 500GB SSD is the best way to go. I'm shopping for a Hauptwerk computer myself and I don't even see a spinning hard drive option available, unless it is the additional 1TB (or 2TB) back-up/archive storage offered on some systems. How much RAM are you spec'ing for your system? ~16GB seems to be a 'sweet spot' of sorts.

Comment

Used MacBook Pro? Go on eBay and see what sellers macexpressoutlet and macfulfillmentservices have to offer (the former offers a better warranty). Also look on MacSales.com

Comment

The i7 will certainly be more than enough power for Hauptwerk. SSD makes the computer boot up much faster. Get as much memory as you can afford especially if you plan to purchase one of the larger instruments to run on Hauptwerk.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses.
            I'm definitely going to get greater then 16 gigs of ram ....and as far as Mac computers....are they more seamless in running Hauptwerk then PC's?

Comment

32GB is more of a starting point for Hauptwerk with 16GB being adequate where surround channels or wet samples are not needed as in a good sized church with natural reverberation. Macs will be easier to use as Windows usually takes a bit of tweaking to achieve low latency, glitch-free audio. That said, I can build a great PC for half the cost of any equivalent Mac. I've tried the used Mac Pro's and can recommend that approach if one sticks to the later versions (3.1 I think it was).

Laptop i7s are generally just two cores (4 threads) -- I use one for testing HW only. I can't imagine running without both the operating system and Hauptwerk cache files on an SSD now that I'm used to the extra speed. I'm getting by with a 512GB SSD but double that would be more flexible.
              http://www.kinkennon.com

Comment

John, it would be great if you could give the specs for the computer you build for HW.

I'm using GrandOrgue, and don't expect to have a surround sound setup, as I play mostly with headphones. But I still like a lot of the wet samples, so still 32GB is a minimum. What would be the least expensive option for the processor? I keep thinking that building my own must be cheaper, since I can select a cheap video interface, but I still don't see any advantage when I compare the custom model to many of the off-the-rack PCs I see.

Tjan

Comment

So.......should I stay away from "all in one" computers? even though they match and or exceed Hauptwerks requirements? 16gig of memory etc. USB ports and Thunderbolt port. I7 7700. I'm also thinking of having one built by the company that IT's our computers. That way I won't have to have all the bloat ware and office products .....decisions! Opinions are welcomed!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamman View Post
                    So.......should I stay away from "all in one" computers? even though they match and or exceed Hauptwerks requirements? 16gig of memory etc. USB ports and Thunderbolt port. I7 7700. I'm also thinking of having one built by the company that IT's our computers. That way I won't have to have all the bloat ware and office products .....decisions! Opinions are welcomed!
                    I wouldn't think TOO hard on this one....audio is much easier to process than video, and today's computer speeds easily handle multichannel audio with little to no issues.

My HW setup runs on an older (4th gen) i7 with 16 GB of RAM and a SSD HD. I run 8 channels, and the thing NEVER skips a beat. If it takes 20 seconds more to load up the sample set when I boot up, I am fine with that. If you are not...go to 32GB RAM. That's the only real advantage to more RAM for this application. After booting up HW and the organ is loaded, it's a non issue.

The old school rule of thumb that Windows is problematic with latency and glitch issues handling audio is long gone for the most part, and I see no advantage to running a Mac instead of a PC for this application nowadays. ANY true audiophile computer, be it Mac or PC will require some tweaking for solid professional audio use.

More than relying totally on specs, focus as well on a few simple tweaks:
                    -- run Windows 10 x64 bit with all the updates installed (a "homebuilt" install without all the bloatware is certainly preferred).
                    -- do not install anything else on that PC....let it be dedicated completely to run HW
                    -- make sure in the Windows settings, your PC is set for maximum performance, rather than balanced.
                    -- make sure your PC is set for priorities to run Programs and not Background Processes.
                    -- Partition the SSD and keep the HW sample sets on a partition other than the C: drive
                    -- use a program like CCLeaner and disable all the startup and background programs that are not directly related to Windows processes
                    -- Turn off the PCs Internet capabilities. Go into Airplane mode, or disable the network card.
                    -- make sure you have a really good D>A converter with updated drivers. It should be ASIO compliant.
                    -- It is best if you are not relying on the computer's sound card, but if you have no choice...try installing ASIO4ALL if the soundcard is not compliant.

With these settings, even a modest computer (by today's standards) should run a multichannel HW setup without any trouble. 16 GB RAM should be more than sufficient with all of this taken into consideration. Good luck and have fun!!
                    1st born: 1958 B3 & 1964 Leslie 122
                    Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)
                    Daily Workhorse: 3 Manual Rodgers running Hauptwerk 4.2
                    New Kid on the Block: Hammond Novachord (year not determined yet)

Comment

It doesn't matter whether a computer is home built or a normal off the shelf model. Same for the all-in-one varieties. I have built my own desktop computers and recently purchased a Dell laptop that is great though not what I would purchase to run Hauptwerk.

I run the latest fast track Win 10 releases and find that SuperFetch remains a problem and needs to be turned off -- of course you may never notice depending on whether it happens to run while doing serious audio work. There's nothing magic about the computers I have built. I try to find a recent Intel CPU, but not the very hottest models with prices to match. $250 will buy a great CPU. I cannot afford a computer for just a VPO as it needs to double as a development platform, internet browser, and run Adobe and Microsoft Office. So in addition to turning off SuperFetch I've needed to turn off two of my three cloud connections. I do not turn off wireless or wired internet though that would be ideal.

If anyone needs ASIO4All then they need to purchase a proper audio interface, period. (no offense pls)

Comment

I'm reading these posts with interest...thanks, guys!
                        I'm almost ready to get a PC for my virtual organ. It HAS to be (because of space) a *laptop*, and because of cost I prefer WIN 10-64.
                        That being the case, assuming a modest budget, what specifically do y'all recommend? Specific model(s), setups, etc will be of great interest...I anticipate using HW and GO or JO. 2-channel would be OK if need be. PC would be used only for virtual organ(s) and not internet connected.
                        Thanks so much in advance.

R, Bill

Comment

Take a look at the Dell i7370 which has a 13" touchscreen, 16GB, and the i7-8558U processor with 4 cores (8 threads). The limitation would be the 16GB which is not expandable. Attractive price at Fry's and perhaps at other sites. You could do a lot with this, especially if willing to run drier sample sets with your own added reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by John Kinkennon View Post
                            If anyone needs ASIO4All then they need to purchase a proper audio interface, period. (no offense pls)
                            For multichannel, yes...for a simple stereo output, not really.
                            I use a Presonus 16 channel myself....but if one was using the setup for a simple practice situation and was using either small speakers or headphones, there is nothing wrong with the motherboard soundcard and ASIO4ALL.

It all depends on the application.
                            1st born: 1958 B3 & 1964 Leslie 122
                            Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)
                            Daily Workhorse: 3 Manual Rodgers running Hauptwerk 4.2
                            New Kid on the Block: Hammond Novachord (year not determined yet)

Comment

Originally posted by John Kinkennon View Post
                              Take a look at the Dell i7370 which has a 13" touchscreen, 16GB, and the i7-8558U processor with 4 cores (8 threads). The limitation would be the 16GB which is not expandable. Attractive price at Fry's and perhaps at other sites. You could do a lot with this, especially if willing to run drier sample sets with your own added reverb.
                              Thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
                              X