Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sequencers revisited

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by j reimer View Post
    There could be another explanation for what Jerry is experiencing. The swell pedal, if it uses a variable resistor of some kind, may be a bit dirty. Those random MIDI messages may stop if he moves the swell pedal to full-on.

    John Reimer
    Thanks, I'll check that out on Saturday when I'm there. The swell pedals are definitely "touchy" on that organ. The MIDI adapter might also be the culprit since it wasn't a very expensive model I bought several years ago - but I never had problems with it on two previous Rodgers organs I played. I'm also going to try recording with Organ Assist to see if it gives the same playback ciphering issues.

    Jerry

    Comment


      #32
      Still no luck in a perfect setup. Sonar/Cakewalk records the piston presses and notes but has horrible ciphering on playback. Organ assist records the notes but not registrations or volume changes but plays back with no ciphering issues. The initial setup screen on Organ assist works great for recording everything properly and playback too, but there's no option to save the piece from that screen. I need a simple midi recording program that can do it all.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by strongj View Post
        I need a simple midi recording program that can do it all.
        The VST plug-in Cantabile has a MIDI recorder among its many features. I think there is still a free version.

        John Reimer

        Comment


          #34
          Really odd. I do wonder if the expression pedal is somehow sending a constant stream of data which is confusing the system. You could try installing a simple MIDI monitor (there is a free one available on the Artisan website) and have a look at the MIDI stream coming out of the organ.

          This is reminding me of a similar situation we encountered once, where an organ was sending a very large amount of garbage data, but I'm having a senior moment and can't recall where it was or what kind of organ, much less what we did to resolve it!
          John
          ----------
          Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
          Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
          Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
          Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by j reimer View Post
            The VST plug-in Cantabile has a MIDI recorder among its many features. I think there is still a free version.

            John Reimer
            I installed Cantabile but it doesn't come with a MIDI recorder plug-in. You have to find one, I think.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by strongj View Post
              Still no luck in a perfect setup. Sonar/Cakewalk records the piston presses and notes but has horrible ciphering on playback.
              A horrible ciphering on playback? Is it many notes, any particular note, is there a pattern to it? Sounds really strange. If it's a few notes or less, can you identify and fix 'em in Piano Roll view?

              You could also try reinstalling the program. I find it needs it every so often. Didn't think it would nows that I'm using the UM-1 interface, but after several years of no problems, performance started to deteriorate. I reinstalled and everything seems fine. If you've installed from a bootleg CD, who knows -- that could be the cause right there. I use 2nd hand copies from Ebay. It's illegal but nobody stops Ebay from offering this old version of the product (#7).

              Comment


                #37
                If this needs a new thread, moderator please move. I have an Artisan MIDI recorder that records to a USB. The Artisan unit is a small "box" that resides on top of the console. It does nothing more than recording other than deleting files, etc. I want to replace it with a new recording unit. I do not want to use a laptop computer/software for the task. I'm looking for a device (box) that records to USB that does little more than basic recording (similar to the Artisan). Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, Allen.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Allen,

                  I can't think of anything that might fit your needs. The Allen MIDI Assistant of course is little different from the Artisan box you have, and the old Roland MR-200 and such devices that Rodgers offered before integrating a recorder into their organs are no better either.

                  Perhaps Yamaha once made a stand-alone MIDI recorder that had some basic editing features built in, if that's what you're hoping to find. I don't know the model numbers, but somewhere I saw one on an organ.

                  But are you sure you don't want to use a small laptop? It would certainly cost less. The simplest and cheapest little Windows 10 laptop with a 16 gig solid-state hard drive can be bought brand new for about $150 sometimes, and you could dedicate one to doing nothing but your sequencing. You'd only need to add a USB-to-MIDI adapter cable and pick up a free or very inexpensive MIDI recording/editing program such as the old Cakewalk Express or some free program with similar features. All the editing is done graphically on the screen, and you can fix bad notes with a mouse click, adjust the tempo, delete and move around whole sections, copy and paste and duplicate sections. A lot of goodies to work with for not much money.

                  But I understand that some people really don't like working with a computer at all, or have other reasons for wanting the simplest hardware approach. There could be something out there that I don't know about. Maybe someone will offer a suggestion.
                  John
                  ----------
                  Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
                  Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
                  Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
                  Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                    Allen,

                    I can't think of anything that might fit your needs. The Allen MIDI Assistant of course is little different from the Artisan box you have, and the old Roland MR-200 and such devices that Rodgers offered before integrating a recorder into their organs are no better either.

                    Perhaps Yamaha once made a stand-alone MIDI recorder that had some basic editing features built in, if that's what you're hoping to find. I don't know the model numbers, but somewhere I saw one on an organ.

                    But are you sure you don't want to use a small laptop? It would certainly cost less. The simplest and cheapest little Windows 10 laptop with a 16 gig solid-state hard drive can be bought brand new for about $150 sometimes, and you could dedicate one to doing nothing but your sequencing. You'd only need to add a USB-to-MIDI adapter cable and pick up a free or very inexpensive MIDI recording/editing program such as the old Cakewalk Express or some free program with similar features. All the editing is done graphically on the screen, and you can fix bad notes with a mouse click, adjust the tempo, delete and move around whole sections, copy and paste and duplicate sections. A lot of goodies to work with for not much money.

                    But I understand that some people really don't like working with a computer at all, or have other reasons for wanting the simplest hardware approach. There could be something out there that I don't know about. Maybe someone will offer a suggestion.
                    John,

                    Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to bypass using a laptop for recording, but neither have I found anything basic like the Artisan recorder. I have an Allen Smart Recorder that would be satisfactory, but it won't communicate with the Artisan uMIDI system. Any thoughts why it won't? To be sure I understand what you said, "USB-to-MIDI adapter cable" -- would I still need two cables for MIDI in and MIDI out from the laptop to the console MIDI ports or does it only require one cable? Thanks, Allen

                    Comment


                      #40
                      I don't know why the Allen unit won't work with your system, but they are specifically designed to interface with the Allen MN system, so perhaps they just don't speak the same language. Or maybe they don't use the same internal channels.

                      A USB-to-MIDI adapter is a little device that plugs into a single USB socket and provides both MIDI In and MIDI Out cables for connection to your organ. I have bought several over the years. One came free with Cakewalk when I bought it back 15 years ago for the first time. I got another one for around $20 somewhere on line. It is all you need to fully interface a laptop with an organ, as long as the organ has a standard pair of MIDI in/out jacks.
                      John
                      ----------
                      Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
                      Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
                      Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
                      Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                        I don't know why the Allen unit won't work with your system, but they are specifically designed to interface with the Allen MN system, so perhaps they just don't speak the same language. Or maybe they don't use the same internal channels.

                        A USB-to-MIDI adapter is a little device that plugs into a single USB socket and provides both MIDI In and MIDI Out cables for connection to your organ. I have bought several over the years. One came free with Cakewalk when I bought it back 15 years ago for the first time. I got another one for around $20 somewhere on line. It is all you need to fully interface a laptop with an organ, as long as the organ has a standard pair of MIDI in/out jacks.
                        John,

                        Thanks, I understand the setup. The Artisan uMIDI system has IN and OUT MIDI ports. Shouldn't be an issue to connect a laptop. I'm sorry the Allen Smart Recorder won't work. It's in like new condition. I had extra wood panels for the sides (I always kept a supply of walnut and oak so I could change them out to match a console for a customer.) and I replaced the scratched originals with new walnut from the factory. Thanks for your help. Allen

                        - - - Updated - - -

                        Originally posted by Moller Artiste View Post
                        John,

                        Thanks, I understand the setup. The Artisan uMIDI system has IN and OUT MIDI ports. Shouldn't be an issue to connect a laptop. I'm sorry the Allen Smart Recorder won't work. It's in like new condition. I had extra wood panels for the sides (I always kept a supply of walnut and oak so I could change them out to match a console for a customer.) and I replaced the scratched originals with new walnut from the factory. Thanks for your help. Allen
                        John,

                        An after thought! Is a small ACER laptop (new) from Walmart sufficient to use for recording? Thanks, Allen

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Moller Artiste,

                          Not being familiar with the equipment you're using, my immediate reaction was wondering if you may need drivers for some of the equipment.

                          Also, with my Allen Ensemble, I've also noticed it tends to work better when I change it to the General MIDI (GM) mode rather than Allen's proprietary mode. In the Allen mode, note on/off doesn't always work correctly, but in GM mode it does.

                          Michael
                          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                          • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 4 Pianos

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by myorgan View Post
                            Moller Artiste,

                            Not being familiar with the equipment you're using, my immediate reaction was wondering if you may need drivers for some of the equipment.

                            Also, with my Allen Ensemble, I've also noticed it tends to work better when I change it to the General MIDI (GM) mode rather than Allen's proprietary mode. In the Allen mode, note on/off doesn't always work correctly, but in GM mode it does.

                            Michael
                            Michael,

                            I have a VPO in a refurbished 1960 Allen TC6 console. It was MIDIfied using Artisan uMIDI system. The uMIDI works with Hauptwerk running from an iMac. I think the Artisan recorder may be outdated enough that it is causing occasional audio hiccups in playback mode. When you change your Allen to GM, I'm assuming that is done through the console controller. I don't know of a way to introduce drivers into the Artisan system. As John mentioned, a new laptop computer with sequencing software may be more compatible with the components running Hauptwerk. Allen

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Yes, an inexpensive Acer laptop should be fine, as long as it has at least one full-size USB port. The little unit I bought came from Best Buy, I think, and was Lenovo branded. But any decent laptop running Windows 10 will work. (as would a Mac, but I don't know that they can be bought for such little money.)
                              John
                              ----------
                              Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
                              Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
                              Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
                              Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                                Yes, an inexpensive Acer laptop should be fine, as long as it has at least one full-size USB port. The little unit I bought came from Best Buy, I think, and was Lenovo branded. But any decent laptop running Windows 10 will work. (as would a Mac, but I don't know that they can be bought for such little money.)
                                Thanks, John.

                                Allen

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X