• Show
Clear All

• MIDI for Allen ADC Custom

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1303.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	727490 Hi All,

Hope all are sheltering in place well. Gives us all to do some organ work.

I bought the Allen ADC Custom from the Allen dealer in Indianapolis about 6 or 7 years ago. It came out of a Lutheran Church that bought a new bigger Allen--it was a custom also.

t HAD some type of device attached in a small slide in area below the keyboard on the right side. At the back of that slide in area, is a midi input and a midi output.

I should have asked, exactly what was the name/number of the device.

What device do I need to be able to input MIDI from a computer?

I am fairly good with computers, but just have no experience with midi input/output to organs.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Grant

MIDI with Allen from the ADC era was note on and off information only--stops and expression were not included in the MIDI data. So the MIDI functions are minimal if you intended to use the computer as a sequencer--i.e., record & play back.

To get the MIDI data into and out of the computer, you will need a USB to MIDI cable, available from multiple sources. Look for a MIDI to USB adapter.

Comment

Grant,

Welcome to the Forum! Congratulations on scoring a custom organ, as they generally have MUCH better sound because of the multiple audio channels.

If you have MIDI In/Out jacks in that drawer, I suspect if you HAD something, it was a MIDI device provided by Allen that the church may have kept for their new organ, though I'm not sure why. A new organ would ostensibly bring new MIDI equipment with it.

To connect to the organ, I suspect it is already MIDI capable, therefore, you only need a couple of MIDI cords, a MIDI adapter to connect to your computer, and MIDI software on your computer. The software depends very much on what you want to do: Recording, sequencing, notation, or other projects. For a MIDI adapter, I'll let others recommend more modern equipment, but I still swear by my Edirol UM-S1 (I think is the model number). It is made by Roland, and drivers are readily available and/or supported still.

Again, welcome to the Forum, and I look forward to your future contributions as you begin your journey into the world of MIDI.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

• Organkeys Jones
        Organkeys Jones commented
        Editing a comment
        Grant, in your comment to gbright you mention MOS Allens. I think you mean "MDS", because those were the first Allens with total MIDI - note-on/note-off, expression, stops, pistons, everything controlled by MIDI.

• myorgan
        myorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Good catch, Organkeys Jones. When I answered, I was in the mindset of adding MIDI to an organ, and never gave it a thought that perhaps the model was listed wrong.

In any event, didn't the early MDS just have note on/off like the ADC era, and then full implementation was provided in later MDS organs? Or did ALL MDS organs have full implementation?

Michael

• Organkeys Jones
        Editing a comment
        Grant, all MDS Allen organs has total MIDI.

Originally posted by gbright
      Can you recommend a beginner midi software?
      The answer to your question depends entirely on your intent–what do you want MIDI to do for you? I'm listing a few options below:
      • Additional Stops (generally a hardware option)
      • Writing Music (notation software)
      • Performance and Mixing (sequencing software)
      • Playing the organ remotely (sequencing software)
      Let us know what you need, and we can advise from there.

Michael

P.S. Depending on your location, a MOS 1 organ may be near you now. We can help you find one. You may also be interested in John's recent thread regarding his MOS 1 here: https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...venture-begins.
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

• gbright
        gbright commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again MIchael, your list is great, for the start, I would like to use the sequencing features. Long time ago, I used Cubase to write, but that software and computer are long gone. I saw some midi software being used on a 5 manual pipe organ. It looked like the user of the laptop, had written the software on his laptop, but I couldn't see what software it was. Thanks ! Grant

Grant,

Some of the established software sequencers would be Cubase (you've already used), Cakewalk Sonar, Ableton Live, FL Studio (FL=Fruity Loops), Logic Express for Mac, Metro (Mac version of Cakewalk), and ProTools (a professional-level software).

Personally, I began using Cakewalk in the 1980s/'90s with an old Zenith laptop (10MB hard drive!) and a docking station, Metro (Sagantech.com), Ableton, and FL Express. Each has features you will probably enjoy once you get used to them. Personally, I like the track editor on Cakewalk-related software because it allows me to edit events on a granular level, as opposed to the graphic level only.

At this point, others can weigh in on what they use. I know there are some free software versions available, but I'm not as familiar with those. Hope that helps.

Michael

Comment

Again, thank you Michael. Wow...I remember Cakewalk from the 90s. The computer it was on is long gone. Speaking of old computers, I have a 1990 Grid, made by Tandy. It has a whopping 20 meg hard drive and only runs in DOS. Some new computer people may think that stands for Dumb Old Sxxx lol, But I do have a a couple of fairly modern computers...I guess the newest one is 7 years old and runs windoze 10, the oldest Dell runs windoze 97, it has some midi program on it, I will have to go turn it on and check. thanks again, Grant

Comment

• Organkeys Jones
          Editing a comment
          Just today we were adding a video clip to our online worship for tomorrow - over 300MB just for the short clip. I told one of the young whippersnappers helping me about how exciting it was to have a 20 meg hard drive back in the stone age. But don't remind me of the B&W monitor and 9-pin dot matrix printers. The Allen Organs from that era still work, though, and can sound good.

• myorgan
          myorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          You had B&W monitor? We had a choice of green or orange print on the monitor! It was an 80-86, 8bit processor.

Michael

• tbeck
          tbeck commented
          Editing a comment
          There are some linux distributions which are purpose-built to run on older hardware. Many of them provide excellent performance with minimal hardware requirements. Check out Puppy Linux, for example.
      Working...
      X