Hauptwerk as a MIDI translator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hauptwerk as a MIDI translator

Apart from its other obvious capabilities, can Hauptwerk be configured as a MIDI translator that will intercept program change messages from the organ console and convert them to note on messages, while providing a pass-through for other messages and channels?

I know that HW will accept and understand stop tab program changes from a Johannus console; I am not sure whether it can be set up easily to retransmit the information as note-on messages with alternate velocities of 0 and 127 as the stop tab toggles.

Maybe. You'll have to be able to map the physical control to a virtual control in Hauptwerk. From the Organ Settings Menu click the Organ Stop/ Coupler/Tremulant... item. In the configuration window, select the virtual piston you're mapping. Configure it to detect the MIDI message from your controller in the Primary Input tab. Then switch to the Primary Output tab. Choose the output message type, MIDI device, MIDI channel and MIDI note information. Then Hauptwerk will send that message in response to the input.

It appears, at least in Hauptwerk 4, that the output messages types are either a mirror of the input, Note On/NoteOff, or NRPN message types. If you can work with those types of messages, I think you'll be good.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Thanks. I have a license for HW V that I purchased during a big upgrade sale about a year go. Never installed it but will do so now and check out your suggestion.

Another alternative I believe you mentioned before is an Arduino board as a translator. I see some code is already available to handle this chore, so at least I might have some samples to look at. I am a PIC man myself but have caved and ordered the Uno starter kit to get acquainted with this environment. Seems to me that the language is essentially ANSI C, which I know.

Comment

The Arduino Programming language is more a subset of C++ rather than ANSI C, but regardless is a C language derivative that you should not have a problem with. Be sure to download one the MIDI libraries for Arduino so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

This might be a good question to pose on the Hauptwerk specific forum. The developer, Martin Dyde, often contributes to posts on that forum. I know that Hauptwerk has specialized midi implementation to communicate with various makers Midi implementation, so that stops selected in Hauptwerk are reflected on the console, but I’m not sure if that extends to Johannus.

I’m sure it would be possible to wire an arduino to do the job, but there are software solutions that may be simpler, such as the Midi translator by Bome.

-Current Instruments: Allen Mos-2 225 RTC,1870's W. Bell Reed organ, 1890's Singer Chicago upright grand piano Former Instruments: Yamaha Electone E3R

Comment

Be aware that the Uno doesn't do MIDI out of the box. You'll have to use a bridge program or replace the firmware. The Arduino Leonardo can appear to your HW computer as a discoverable MIDI device. I'm using the Teensy 4.1 for my MIDI project.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/MidiWith8U2Firmware

Comment

• tbeck
            tbeck commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, but as well as the cost of the shield, it will require a MIDI/USB adapter. The cost of both of those might well be more than the Leonardo.

• Admin
            Admin commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure, depends on the installation. If a MIDI merge box is present, or if the audio interface has a standard MIDI connector, a MIDI to USB adaptor might not be necessary.

Using a processor with a configurable HID, like the Teensy, et. al., is certainly the way to go if you haven't already invested in an Uno or other MIDI devices.

I have flashed an Uno to provide MIDI out over the USB port. To do so, you must be sure that your Uno has a flashable serial chip, and not all do. Then once you've flashed the chip, you no longer can program the board as you've replaced the serial programming interface with MIDI. It can be done, but I don't recommend it.

• Larason2
            Larason2 commented
            Editing a comment
            The Uno doesn’t do USB midi out of the box, but any Arduino can do hardware MIDI out of the box. You just need a MIDI female plug and a resistor (which resistor depends on the Arduino voltage). I have this setup on an arduino Mega, and it works great. To do MIDI input, you also need a photo coupler and some resistors.

I have ordered a MIDI shield from China that claims to have the requisite connectors and optoisolator. The only domestic alternative comes from Sparkfun, and their product received a few bad reviews for really poor quality components despite the high price.

The Uno comes in the official starter kit, which seemed like a bargain if only to get a nice set of peripheral parts such as an LCD. I am not wedded to this board for the ultimate build, if there is one.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeck View Post
            Be aware that the Uno doesn't do MIDI out of the box. You'll have to use a bridge program or replace the firmware. The Arduino Leonardo can appear to your HW computer as a discoverable MIDI device. I'm using the Teensy 4.1 for my MIDI project.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/MidiWith8U2Firmware
            Any Arduino based on the Atmel 32u4 chip will be compatible
            Home Organ: VPO Home-Brewed from a former Klann pipe organ console

Comment

I'm using the Mega 2560 for my virtual system. One of these will handle all 61 notes of a manual. I found a reliable clone made by Inland, https://www.microcenter.com/product/...uino-mega-2560

Comment

Working...
              X