MIDI causing Grandorgue crash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI causing Grandorgue crash?

My pedal board MIDI quit working during my organ revamp and I rewired it with a standalone board from Orgautomatech and have my manuals (OEM MIDI) running into the midi in port on the new encoder board and then from there to my interface. I am getting hung notes and Grandorgue crashes now. Is it possible there is an incompatibility with the MIDI data running through the new encoder board?

As I'm playing GO will freeze up, make all sorts of buzzing and weird noises and then crash to desktop. I have to remap all my manual/pedal assignments even though they haven't changed in order to get the keys to work.

I can try a USB MIDI device for either the pedals or the manuals and see if that fixes it and not do any MIDI thru.

I guess I don't know enough about how MIDI works to know if there can be issues between different devices.

Why are you running the MIDI from manuals into the pedal encoder board MIDI In port? According the Orgautomatech website, the MIDI In on the encoder is used solely to configure the encoder. If you're feeding your manuals into it, you may be randomly changing the configuration of your encoder board. That might explain the hung notes and other junk.

It's a common mistake to assume that MIDI Thru, which is an output, combines whatever is plugged into MIDI In with whatever MIDI messages being produced by the device itself. This is not correct. The MIDI Thru output is identical to what is being fed to MIDI In. It's purpose is to daisy chain the same signal to multiple devices. MIDI Out contains only what is being produced by the device itself. If you want to combine the outputs of the manuals and the pedal board encoder, you need to use a MIDI merge box. Perhaps you know this, but I'm confused by your reference to MIDI Thru. It shouldn't come into play with what you're describing nor should you be feeding MIDI into your encoder unless your intent is to configure it.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
      Why are you running the MIDI from manuals into the pedal encoder board MIDI In port? According the Orgautomatech website, the MIDI In on the encoder is used solely to configure the encoder. If you're feeding your manuals into it, you may be randomly changing the configuration of your encoder board. That might explain the hung notes and other junk.

It's a common mistake to assume that MIDI Thru, which is an output, combines whatever is plugged into MIDI In with whatever MIDI messages being produced by the device itself. This is not correct. The MIDI Thru output is identical to what is being fed to MIDI In. It's purpose is to daisy chain the same signal to multiple devices. MIDI Out contains only what is being produced by the device itself. If you want to combine the outputs of the manuals and the pedal board encoder, you need to use a MIDI merge box. Perhaps you know this, but I'm confused by your reference to MIDI Thru. It shouldn't come into play with what you're describing nor should you be feeding MIDI into your encoder unless your intent is to configure it.
      Boy do I feel dumb! I even read the manual but maybe I just read what I thought it said rather than what it actually said. Thanks so much. I'll be back in business tonight. Thanks for your descriptive answer. It makes perfect sense.

Comment

Working...
      X