MONO out only - How to send sound back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MONO out only - How to send sound back

Hello ... wasn't sure where to post this but need some help with audio [I'm new] when running sound back to the organ.
    Just picked up a Technics EA1...great instrument, however unlike an older Lowrey I used to have, the EA1 only has a single "Line Out" on the back.
    With the Lowrey I could connect the laptop back via a 2-1 AUX [3.5mm adapter] to leverage the organ's stereo.
    Is there a way to do this with the EA1 single Line Out? Like would a Audio Interface [M-Audio] do that?
    Just to add ... I tried using that same 2-1 1/4" to 3.5mm Aux to connect to my stereo system via the receiver and no dice.
    So a sub question ... with a Line In/Line Out cable like I've described Click image for larger version

Name:	20210430_113212_HDR.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	768948 ...do both ends need to be connected which is similar to what I was doing with the laptop to the Lowrey to leverage it's stereo?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Orion Buttigieg; 04-30-2021, 12:51 PM.

out is out not in. You are wanting an input jack which the Technics does not have. Per page 52 of the the manual at http://technicskeyboards.com/files/6...SER_MANUAL.pdf the line out jack is used to connect to the input of an amplifier. If you are trying to mix the output of the organ with the output of the computer you need to use line out on the organ to line in on the computer and line out on the computer to an external amplification system

Comment

I do not understand the phrase "leverage the organ's stereo". First thing, even if the Lowery was stereo, that quality went away when the two outputs were mixed by using the "2 to 1" adapter. Second, the end result is still the same: a single output with (analog) audio information. I can't imagine why one would want or need to send this audio 'back' to the organ. An M-Audio device can convert analog audio to digital for input to a computer but I don't think that is the capability that the o.p. is after.

Assuming the Line Output of the Technics is a single 1/4" jack, then to connect it to a stereo receiver requires a 1/4" male to RCA male, cable and the RCA end of the cable can connect to the RCA female "AUX" or "CD" input on the receiver. When you only have a MONO output, most devices are setup to provide sound to both channels of a stereo device if input is present at the LEFT (white) input channel. It won't be stereo, but sound will be present at both speakers. Or the single mono output can be split to two RCA outputs. Cables for this are plentiful and cheap.

Comment

Hello ...
        JerryRhoads - the Output being only Output is what I thought and it was probably a dumb question but thought maybe with some audio magic from an interface it might be possible - I'm new...we think that sort of crazy ****.
        Sounds like I'll be running an 3.5mm Aux cable from the laptop to my stereo system or buy and Amp.
        That said I'm still surprised the 2-1 [3.5 aux] which can be plugged into my stereo isn't receiving sound from the organ. I've tried both red and white in the Line Out, so it must need both with that type of L/R cable?

Leisesturm - Yes the Line out on the Technics is a single 1/4". The Lowrey's were built as home music entertainment systems and one of those options was to treat it as a stereo so it had 2 sets of In/Out Aux. I had upgraded the sound system and it sounded pretty good running that cable from the computer back to the Lowrey, beat the hell out of external computer speakers...but I'm older and perhaps my ears aren't what they used to be...sounded good to me.

O

Comment

Pretty sure the line out Jack is mono not stereo. Is the shaft on the plug you're inserting into it have one or two bands separating it into two or three sections

Comment

The manual doesn't say either or...just says "Line Out" ... you're probably right. I guess you wouldn't require 'stereo' out if you're connecting to an Amp[s].
            On the facebook Technics page someone mentioned that the 2-1 cable is probably shorting itself out with only one end plugged in, therefore resulting in no sound.
            Sounds like I'll be purchasing a super long 3.5 mm Aux cable to run from the laptop to my stereo receiver given it's like 12+ feet away ...lol.
            The MIDI sounds going back through the organ was more a matter of convenience and me hoping I didn't have to buy yet another cable off Amazon.

Thanks for everyone's help! I'm sure I'll be coming on here to ask actual MIDI questions given the EA1's MIDI chart seems a tad confusing at least at first glance.

Orion

Comment

So the Lowery could take audio in an play it through it's speakers. Cool. No way can the Technics unit do that. It's output is 1/4" mono, like an electric guitar. You can split it into two signals but you need the right cable. I think you are trying to use a 2-1 backwards and that won't work. You need a true 1-2 and, as I said, they are cheap enough. 3.5" is ALWAYS stereo T/R/R (tip,ring,ring) sometimes there is a third ring because a lot of 3.5" supports microphones along with the audio (headsets w/boom mics). 1/4" can be either mono (T/R) or stereo (T/R/R). Trust what is written on the package. 1/4" mono to dual (L/R) RCA to stereo AUX inputs must be common and a stereo that won't accept RCA inputs isn't worth anyone's time. Computer speakers are also very, very cheap and many of them sound great.

Comment

Leisesturm - Yup...the Lowrey's were solid and built for a different era. I think the extra Aux In/Outs were common with these organs for a while, because another organ I was considering before the EA1 was a Technics SX-EX35 [1996] and same as the Lowrey [1996] it also has the multiple plug options including MIDI Thru.
                Given this was prior to home computing becoming what it is this was about connecting tape decks, rhythm machines, etc...
                Also one of the Lowrey's speakers went buzzy so I took them both out and augmented the system with 4 car speakers. I wired them in series [pairs] because they were 4 ohms vs the original 8 ohm to an 8 ohm amp [old school] and 4 ohm car speakers are plentiful on the local buy/sell. So my logic was why let that great sound system go to waste and 2-1 from the organ to laptop was the best option....sounded great too!

As for the new EA1, I'll be going with a 3.5mm Aux because honestly the organ will be attached to the laptop via old school MIDI [Roland UM-ONE].
                So for sound I just want something better than my computer speakers and yes I have decent external computer speakers BUT I also have a full on multi speaker stereo system, so really...
                The aux is the best option connecting to the stereo receiver [also a good one] AND if I want to connect the organ straight to the stereo I have a aux/1/4" adapter that should work just fine given as you say 3.5 mm is always stereo.

And I found what looks to be a decent 25 ft'er on Amazon for not much ...done!

Cheers, O

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Orion,

If I'm not mistaken, the AUX is powered, whereas the Line Out is line level only. You may cause the port to be damaged or even blown out if you use the AUX instead.

Michael

P.S. I STILL use my UM-1 adapter!

• Admin
                  Admin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Audio 2-1 adaptors, more commonly referred to as wye adaptors, are for splitting an output into two. They are not for combining two inputs into a single output. In some cases, it may be possible to misuse them in this way, but in the worst case, you'll end up damaging your equipment.

A few corrections are necessary on what has been posted.
                • Audio cables are identified by Gender (Male or Female–you figure out why they're named that way).
                • Audio cables sometimes have color:
                  • White–Left (or Mono). A cable will always have at least one channel, but not necessarily two.
                  • Red–Right
                  • Yellow–Video, though some newer headphones will use this third connection as a microphone signal in a stereo headset.
                • Audio cables have specific types for specific purposes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_...hone_connector
                  • TS–Tip/Sleeve is a mono connector (Tip is usually Left).
                  • TRS–Tip/Ring/Sleeve is a stereo connector (Ring is usually Right).
                  • The TS or TRS connectors need to be matched with a compatible male/female connector. Otherwise, audio may be lost.
                • Audio cables can be converted from stereo to mono, but never the other way around.
                • The 2-1 referenced above is generally called a Y-splitter. They are used to either split a stereo signal (1 TRS stereo) into two mono signals (i.e. RCA mono with the left and right using different sides of the 2-side). Alternately, they can be used to duplicate a stereo signal (1 TRS stereo to 2 TRS stereo). Other adapters do exist.
                To have a coherent conversation regarding audio connections, it helps to use standard terminology. Also, back when Radio Shack used to be in existence, when I entered the store and use the proper terminology, staff would treat me well, and sometimes make accommodations or demonstrate new items in stock. Consider the two following scenarios requesting assistance:
                • I have an organ at home and I need to record on my computer. What cords do I need to get a stereo recording? OR
                • My organ at home has one mono line out. I need a stereo male RCA to stereo male 1/8" TRS Y-cable so I can record to my computer.
                Which request will get a more accurate result?

Hope this helps.

Michael
                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I appreciate Michael’s post! It’s true sometimes the right terminology can really clarify things. I’m also guilty of being vague sometimes!

It is possible to send audio back to the organ’s speakers, but it would require some work. You would need to get a small mixer, some two conductor cable like microphone cable, and at least 2 male 1/4 inch TR connectors. You would find the input to the organs internal amp, cut it, and connect the wires to the cables with the 1/4 inch plugs soldered to the other end, then connect the organ side to the input of the mixer, and the amp side to the mixer output. You can then connect the audio coming from your computer to one of the inputs of the mixer. If you want to keep everything in the organ case, you can also get a female 1/4 inch TR connector/port, and drill a compatible hole in the organ’s case for it, then wire that to another cable with a 1/4 Inch TR male connector on the other end, and also connect that to one of the other inputs of the mixer.

This will work, but a main drawback is your sound will only come out in mono. Also, if your input is stereo, you will only get the left channel though the organ. You can also get an adapter from female 1/8 Inch TRS Stereo to Male 1/4 Inch TR Mono that combines the stereo into a single mono to solve this problem, however.

Comment

• Leisesturm
                    Leisesturm commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It might be possible, but likely not worth the effort. The amplification and speaker(s) native to the instrument are probably functioning more as monitoring, and would not be up to the demands of decent quality sound reproduction of sound sources beyond those of the native instrument. That is why a way of getting audio out of the instrument to external amplification and reproduction was made available.

Originally posted by Orion Buttigieg View Post

As for the new EA1, I'll be going with a 3.5mm Aux because honestly the organ will be attached to the laptop via old school MIDI [Roland UM-ONE].
                  So for sound I just want something better than my computer speakers and yes I have decent external computer speakers BUT I also have a full on multi speaker stereo system, so really...
                  What I am curious about is why MIDI is even a consideration? The Technics SX EA1, outputs perfectly good audio, albeit in analog audio form. The main reason it also outputs MIDI is for connection to another keyboard or tone module, that might like to know what keys are being pressed on the primary instrument. A computer wouldn't care, unless maybe it is running VPO software or something. In any case I haven't seen where a lot of consideration is going into how to get good sound OUT of the computer IF the computer is a real player in this scenario. Sometimes in situations like this where people don't have the terminology and/or the understanding of the conventions used to describe a situation, the best thing they can do is just simplify things to the essentials: Here is what I have; this is what I would like to do; what is the best way to do that? ...

Originally posted by Orion Buttigieg View Post
                  The aux is the best option connecting to the stereo receiver [also a good one] AND if I want to connect the organ straight to the stereo I have a aux/1/4" adapter that should work just fine given as you say 3.5 mm is always stereo.

And I found what looks to be a decent 25 ft'er on Amazon for not much ...done!
                  Not so fast ... what exactly did you find on Amazon? Unless I way miss my guess you did NOT find a 1/4" male (mono) to 3.5mm male (stereo) cable, also what is an 'aux/1/4" adapter'? Neither thing exists. You will continue to fail in your efforts to get output from the keyboard to be recognized by the stereo until you completely understand just how incompatible the different formats are. Success can be had, but it requires understanding, and we can't fully understand and/or help, with the little information we have at present. 25' of cable also presents a significant load (voltage drop) to the amplifier in the output of the Technics. It might also be a way for 'noise' to enter the audio chain. It is a scenario I would be trying to avoid if it were me.

Comment

Working...
                  X