How to apply effects in real time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to apply effects in real time?

Hello ... This has probably been covered but I'm probably searching the wrong terms so by all means please point me in the right direction. I'm new.
    Easy enough to play virtuals instruments through my organ and certainly have fun with a few combo organs but it would be nice to apply some reverb or delay or any virtual effects to my organ's own tones. I know it's possible - read something somewhere about an audio interface of some kind and capturing the sound or something ? Recording is done at the same time ..?
    Thanks.
    O

Orion,

It would help to know what software you are using to play virtual organs. Almost all the reputable programs have those options available.

Alternately, you can find devices like Nanoverb or Alesis to use with your organ. Alternately, some have used external mixers with effects processors to add to the sound heard externally. In the past, I have recommended Behringer Xenyx FX mixers. A 1204 or similar mixer might work. It depends on whether you need stereo or mono output.

Hope this helps get you started until others weigh in.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Hi Michael ...and anyone else that happens by.

Terminology is always the challenge when you're new so sorry for the long winded response.

As per the software question, I'm using Cantabile [DAW] and play around with a few free virtuals - I'm a beginner hobbyist, not a musician so good enough for me.
      Off topic but I like the Comb V and Combo F, found at the following:
      https://plugins4free.com/instruments/Organs/?page=1

Ok back to how to apply virtual effects...
      Here's where I got the idea from. He's using an actual Farfisa and running it to/through an "audio interface" [I reached out and asked him] then from there to Cubase with some virtual effect plugins loaded. Cool demo of a Farfisa but I digress especially as he's applying virtual effects to it and in real time.
      In notes below the vid...
      "all signals run through cubase with some reverb, chorus, amping, stereo and effect plugins."
      When I asked how...
      "I captured the pure Audio Signal from the organ and fed it into the Software. There i applied the effects and just recorded all at once."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM0ux8qHec8&list=PLJ9E2h0c_5jDCyefop9aFEPD M2ujkQWuh&index=21

What kind of interface would that be?

Orion
      Last edited by Orion Buttigieg; 09-30-2021, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Basically, you need a line level audio output from your organ. If you're using a combo organ this should be no problem as that's typically their output that you feed to a power amp and speaker. You would insert your effects devices between the line out and the power amp input.
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

HI Orion

Do a search on YouTube for Cantabile and VST Instruments and effects use and you will find plenty that shows you how to do it, just choose one that suits your knowledge.

Bill

Comment

Hello ... I think the part that baffles me a tad is the lack of MIDI for the Farfisa yet he's managing to blend the virtual effects with that old organ in real time without midi.
            That's baffling as I thought using any virtual whatever would still require the midi messages from the host/controller instrument to react to it.
            I get [sorta] the recording to the DAW via an interface "without" midi - didn't even realize that was possible. THEN he's applying effects via that same DAW/virtuals but without the use of any MIDI. ??

"You would insert your effects devices between the line out and the power amp input." - In the youtube case that's obviously his laptop but as mentioned he'd doing so without midi.

The reason I'm looking to do this is that my EA-1 is limited in how I can apply some effects BUT I really like the sounds I can generate from the instrument. I'm just trying to enhance it without having to buy expensive hardware.

O

Comment

Well, I'm confused as to what your trying to do, so let's back up.

You have an analog combo organ with no midi.
              You wish to apply audio effects to its sound.

Correct so far?

You can do this in two ways:

1. Take the line output of the combo organ and feed it to hardware effect boxes, such as reverbs, flangers, etc. and feed the output of those hardware devices to your amp and speaker.
              2. Take the line output of the combo organ, feed it to an analog to digital interface, feed the digital output of the interface into a DAW, use VST effects plug-in with the DAW, take the digital output of the DAW and feed it to a digital to analog interface, and take the analog output of the interface to your amp speaker.

Which one of the above are attempting to do?

Your latest comments have me assuming that you want to use DAW VSTs to modify the sound of your combo organ. This requires an audio interface such as this Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

You would feed the line out of your combo organ into the interface. The interface converts the analog signal to digital and sends to your computer on a USB cable. The DAW can then see the interface as an input device and process the signal with various effect plug-ins. The digital output of the DAW is then sent back to the audio interface over the same USB cable and converted to an analog signal which can then be fed to your amp speakers.

MIDI is not involved or required.
              Last edited by Admin; 10-01-2021, 04:34 PM.
              -Admin

Allen 965
              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

• Orion Buttigieg
                Orion Buttigieg commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you...

For the record I don't have a combo organ - my instrument is a 1998 Technics EA1 which does have midi functionality.
                I only posted the vid of the guy playing the Farfisa because he's applying effects to it through a DAW and that's pre-midi instrument.

#2 is what I'm after and thanks for the description.

I guess that's where the latency would 'potentially' come up.

The Farfisa guy in the vid did mention the point of recording at the same time as part of the process to apply the effect. ?

In all of this I was hoping to get away with just using the DAW and the recording functionality [computer and DAW combined] but it sounds like a digital audio interface is required as well.

Thanks again... Orion

• Admin
                Admin commented
                Editing a comment
                Recording is not required to use a DAW for your purpose. although it should be possible. Latency should not be a problem, but will depend upon your digital interface, the quality of the plug-ins you are using, and the horsepower of your computer..

About the only thing I can add to what has been shared so far, is mentioning the issue of latency. When adding effects, etc. to an audio channel (or MIDI), the more items added, the greater delay in processing the sound (called latency).

You've gotten great advice so far. Listen & learn! That's what I did.

Michael
              Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
              • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
              • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
              • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Thanks Michael and I believe "Admin" above answered my question.

And thanks again gentlemen.

O

Comment

If you are looking for an audio interface and think you might need MIDI either for the current project or for future use, I would recommend looking at audio interfaces that include MIDI. Many of the cheap $30 MIDI only interfaces are known to cause problems, so you might as well get an audio interface with MIDI. It is one less piece of gear to think about if you will be doing MIDI and audio work.

Make sure to check online reports about latency or any other feature you deem important to your usage. Don't overlook small details such as the the type of USB plug it uses, and whether you can use it with your computer or need an adapter or different cable.

Comment

Working...
                  X