This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI difficulties Rodgers Insignia 557

So I just can't seem to figure out how to get a signal from the Rodgers 557 to GrandeOrgue on my laptop at school. I had the IT tech stop by and they are also stumped. It doesn't help that we would giggle at the complexity of the manual and have to read it aloud as we tried different solutions that never worked.
    I am wondering if I need to depress the MIDI tabs to get a signal out. I think I have the MIDI set to ORCH because with those tabs down I get that annoying General MIDI style instruments playing. Why can't I figure out how to get the signal to the computer?! I ordered a new MIDI USB connector, perhaps that will help. Does anyone know of any obvious pitfalls I'm missing?
  • Answer selected by Admin at 11-23-2021, 06:37 AM.

Thank you, everyone. It turns out it was the cheap MIDI cables I was using. I took the advice of someone on here and got a good Roland USB/MIDI thing and it got a signal. I had incredible audio issues that it took the IT tech guy and me over 45 minutes to fix and even though we got it to work, it wasn't consistent and for a while wouldn't "stick" upon restart. Somehow we stumbled upon something that FINALE had messed up and got it to work. I'm THRILLED.

Comment

You would definitely need to have the Midi tabs down to output Midi on that manual. You would have to fiddle around on the interface to make sure the midi assignments are correct. Also make sure you are connecting it to the right midi port on the instrument, and that you have a good quality Midi to USB connector, and that you have the appropriate drivers installed for it on your computer. Finally, you have to make sure it is set up properly on Grandorgue, which you may need to consult the experts on the grandorgue forum how to set it up. Also, are you using a PC or Mac?

-Current Instruments: Allen Mos-2 225 RTC,1870's W. Bell Reed organ, 1890's Singer Chicago upright grand piano Former Instruments: Yamaha Electone E3R

Comment

Use a program like MIDI-OX to find out what signals the 557 is putting out. Note what channels the MIDI messages are being sent. Try getting one thing at a time working before adding another.

See page 32 of the manual. From what I gather, it looks like you need to configure the tab as a MIDI coupler. After doing this, activate the tabs and check MIDI-OX for messages.

See page 43 about master channels. They are active by default, and independent of the coupler channels. You can choose to use either the master channels or coupler channels. This is where MIDI-OX becomes helpful, to know which channels are sending messages.

Comment

Thank you, everyone for your help. When I get a spare three minutes between teaching I'll try it. I just can't believe it's this difficult to connect MIDI in 2021.

Comment

Thank you, everyone. It turns out it was the cheap MIDI cables I was using. I took the advice of someone on here and got a good Roland USB/MIDI thing and it got a signal. I had incredible audio issues that it took the IT tech guy and me over 45 minutes to fix and even though we got it to work, it wasn't consistent and for a while wouldn't "stick" upon restart. Somehow we stumbled upon something that FINALE had messed up and got it to work. I'm THRILLED.

Comment

Working...
            X