This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conn Speaker Pipes

Is the cord to connect Conn Pipes a proprietary chord, or a standard RL screw down sound cord?

I'm at the home of the 651 and Conn Pipes, sadly the beautiful 651 is not in good condition at all and as a student, I can't afford or have the time to refurbish/restorei t. There are a LOT of issues though it does play for the most part! I'm thinking to buy the pipes only.
    The pipes currently are not plugged in, but there is a pile of chords for them on the floor. She doesn't know if know if there is a reason they are all unplugged, but I'm going to attempt to plug them in (hopefully it won't explode )

I don't want to have to take this mess of nasty cables, hoping I could buy new ones later.
    Last edited by WurliTzer; 05-29-2016, 04:23 PM.
    Conn 650 (Type 1) with gold bus bars. 4 sets of Conn Pipes. A stupid Kimball piano

Originally posted by ChristopherJKHa View Post
    Is the cord to connect Conn Pipes a proprietary chord, or a standard RL screw down sound cord?
    Christopher,

The connections should be standard, screw-down cords. The ends can be terminated either by wrapping the stranded wire around each post and tightening the screw, but probably a better solution would be to use spade connectors on the end of the cord. I'm not sure how they terminate inside the organ, but I would assume they would work in a similar manner.

If you wrap the ends around the post while tightening the screw, make sure no strands stick out and can cross-connect the two cords. IIRC, there is no sort of barrier between the screws on the pipe units, and you'd have to take care they don't short out.

In fact, I'm going to attempt to connect some of my speakers today to see how they work out (I've never tried that yet). I hope to be able to make back-to-back recordings with the Allen speakers vs. Conn Pipes and post them so people can analyze the difference.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Alrightly realized shortly after posting they are standard speakers chords. Lol

There is a random pile of chord coming out the back for the pipes. There are the two tall bass (I think), 1 medium, and 1 symmetrical.

I wanted to test with one, but could it damage it at all if I take one set and plug it in a random chord? They are not labeled to know which pipe set
      Conn 650 (Type 1) with gold bus bars. 4 sets of Conn Pipes. A stupid Kimball piano

Comment

Hi,

On my 650, there is a dedicated switch-box where my one set of pipes is connected to. I found a cheap way to get speaker wire! - I just buy any old and cheap AC extension cord, and cut off the ends!
        It makes great speaker hook-up wire!

I then connected the wire to the box, and then to the pipes. Done!
        Since those wires on the 651 are coming from out of the organ, and you know they are for the pipes, I believe you can hook them up to any pipes..
        Now - any techs please correct me as needed - maybe those multiple wires came from different locations? maybe from the various internal speakers? If so [I can't see in the organ to know], maybe they were dedicated as to bass or otherwise?

Conn sold the pipes speaker switch box separately.. the box had a trim pot to adjust the pipes volume coming from the organ. The switch selected either no pipes, pipes only, or both the internal speakers and the pipes.

I was happy to discover that my 650 came with the box installed under the LM on the underside of the console.

I don't think it will damage anything.. On mine, the straight output is going into my pipes.. there is no division of bass/treble ...
        I'm guessing that *if* there are dedicated outputs to the pipes [bass/treble], then it won't hurt anything.. it just might sound 'funny' if treble is going to bass and vice versa..

--- BTW, sorry the 651 was in bad shape... are you going to check out the 650? It's a mighty nice model [IMHO]...
        Lowrey MX2 (NT400x)
        Thomas Floridian Classic -- aka Wersi Rondo Classic
        Kimball K800 'Fascination' Theater Organ
        Conn 650 - Type 1 with Conn Pipes - Model #145
        Baldwin Cinema 2 (214-DR)
        Wersi Spectra DX 700 CD - LiveStyle, Memory Tower
        Wersi Beta DX400 TS - (with AMS)
        Wersi Delta DX 500 - (with AMS)
        Wersi Pegasus Keyboard!
        MOOG Eterwave Standard Theremin & MOOG Werkstatt
        Roland GAIA SH-01 Virtual Analog Synthesizer
        Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano!

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherJKHa View Post
          There is a random pile of chord coming out the back for the pipes. There are the two tall bass (I think), 1 medium, and 1 symmetrical.
          [snip]
          They are not labeled to know which pipe set
          Have you considered untangling the wires? Perhaps straightening them out would make sure you don't connect anything incorrectly. For speaker wire, I've always used 16/2 for shorter runs, but for longer runs on stage, I use 14/2. That said, some of my organs have come with 16/4 or 16/6, so I've stayed with what came with the organ. Hope this helps a bit.

I don't know anything about a switch box because I'm not connecting it to a Conn, but that certainly would be a plus.

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Alrighty.... Well we are driving home now with the 4 sets of pipes (and a suit of armour statue...why mom?) Ready to hate me? All the pipes for $30!!!!!! I don't know if they work, but I would buy them regardless. I did try to plug one in there but it didn't work, though it could be many other issues. I didn't take the crappy wires with me because I would have had to take the back off (but I shiuld have to see if it had the pipe switch box! Mad I didn't think too).

Can I try to plug Conn 2 imput into our home receiver to test them?? (Slowly bringing up the volume of course). I think the cords on are our main speakers are stripped wire, I'll just barrow them to check!

---

Oh, what's the best way to clean them? Was going to use the air compressor first. Can I safely unscrews them to get the inside clean? Do the pipes stay in the cover? I think I saw a dead bug inside one......

And is it possible to change thread names? Lol
            Last edited by WurliTzer; 05-29-2016, 11:14 PM. Reason: How to clean pipes

Comment

Hi,

WOWOW!! You got a GREAT deal on those pipes! The 'average' price I've seen around could range from [+/-] $150 to over $200 PER pipe unit! Good for you!!

Both organs? heh ... I guess the 650 can be your 'main' interest at first, and the 651 your 'fixer-upper' heh

-- Opening up the pipe units is easy.. just unscrew them, and it will be self-explanatory.. The pipes ARE attached to the 'lid'.. so no worries..

I had read where someone bought a Conn pipes unit, and when they opened it.. they discovered a BIG roll of MONEY inside!!!

When I got my pipes [a gift!], I opened mine up IMMEDIATELY when I had read that story.. LOL

[BTW, my Avatar is my 650 - and kitty, Vixie! - she loves when I play]

Well, my pipes had no money, but I was THRILLED to have the unit! It makes a BIG difference in the non-Tibia sounds!

There are other threads on the forum explaining even how to up-grade the speakers to newer ones, etc..

I'm excited and happy for you!

I love getting folks excited about their organs... I hope I made it so you can't sleep at night until you get your baby [babies?] home!

Conn Theater Organs are GREAT.. that wonderful Conn ensemble sound.. you might even think about sometime installing a digital reverb.. [heh - yet ANOTHER project!]..

-- your pipe story got ME so excited.. I went and started playing my 650 !!! LOL

{BTW, my Avatar shows my Conn 650 and kitty Vixie}

marc
              Last edited by Suhndog; 05-29-2016, 04:40 PM.
              Lowrey MX2 (NT400x)
              Wersi Pegasus Keyboard!

Comment

I'm working on the symmetrical one first. I started by shooting air down the pipes. DUST STORM lol.
                After unscrewing the top, I started to remove one of the speakers to see. Well sadly it's covered in dust and mold. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	599359Click image for larger version

Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	599360Click image for larger version

Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	599361
                First two are before, last one is after a little cleaning. My dad had A/V as a hobby when he was younger so I'm letting him do this. Using a soft brush, swiffer duster and the air compressor, they are slowing cleaning up. May be one day I can replace the speakers . Hopefully this won't damage them, but my Dad has owned enough equipment I trust him lol
                Last edited by WurliTzer; 05-29-2016, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Finished cleaning up the model 145 (symmetrical). Gosh that thing was nasty. The speaker cones looked almost perfectly clean after we were done cleaning them. Pushing a swiffer duster up the tube really cleans them out well. The hardest part was getting in between pipes and 2 rows to get the nasty dust cleaned!
                  I did take off the stabilizer board, whatever that is called. Apparently, we lost one of the black plastic tubes supports that separate that "shelf" up, but should be easily replaceable at the hardware store or deep in my dad's tools. Also, one of the inlaid washers was missing. Maybe someone will scrap a conn pipe set and I can buy the screws, washers and supports rods as back ups

Does anyone know if it is safe to plug this thing into a standard receiver/stereo system to test it? My dad won't let me until I get information lol. Apparently we have an old stereo radio we can use to test first, if that works.
                  Last edited by WurliTzer; 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

OK!

Thanks for the pictures!

Mold.. whoa.. Did the organ come from an environment with fairly high humidity?
                    Thankfully, out here in Arizona, mold isn't much of an issue [or rust, etc.]..

When I lived in Florida, I remember replacing 3 A/V receivers in one year!! Way too much dampness.. and salty air!
                    I grew up back East, and remember humidity well...

On some speakers I used to have with fairly dry cones, I took a lightly dampened cloth, and wiped dirt and stuff off.. not enough to really soak it..
                    Whatever little moisture remained, evaporated.
                    I then used a light machine oil, and coated the paper cone with it.. it didn't affect the speaker's response noticeably, and preserved the paper - it kept it pliable, and it wouldn't dry out.. this can keep the cone from splitting or cracking.
                    I tried various coatings.. oil and WD-40 !

Around the voice coil, I applied some Vasoline Jelly! This also helped to preserve it, and make the paper pliable. I also used the Vasoline on the surround.. Newer speakers usually have a flexible coating on the surround [the surround is the outer edge].
                    Since the surround moves in and out a lot, the Vasoline kept the surround from tearing away from the metal edge..

All this may sound freaky, but it works!

Nowadays, they make a black coating to rejuvenate speaker cones..
                    My methods were more 'low-tech' heh

By coating the cones, this would help keep mold and such from returning..

-- just some thoughts...

marc
                    Lowrey MX2 (NT400x)
                    Wersi Pegasus Keyboard!

Comment

Really, a suit of armor? Now that makes me really jealous!

Comment

They're now piping with an 'E'!
                        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

THANK YOU! Lol
                          So only a moderator can update the title?

-Christopher

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Suhndog View Post
                          OK!
                          Mold.. whoa.. Did the organ come from an environment with fairly high humidity?
                          It was here in northeast ohio. The house was built in like 1870 and there was major water damage in another room.

- - - Updated - - -

OK!
                          On some speakers I used to have with fairly dry cones, I took a lightly dampened cloth, and wiped dirt and stuff off.. not enough to really soak it..
                          Whatever little moisture remained, evaporated.
                          I then used a light machine oil, and coated the paper cone with it.. it didn't affect the speaker's response noticeably, and preserved the paper - it kept it pliable, and it wouldn't dry out.. this can keep the cone from splitting or cracking.
                          I tried various coatings.. oil and WD-40 !
                          Which oil did you end up using?

- - - Updated - - -

OK!
                          Around the voice coil, I applied some Vasoline Jelly! This also helped to preserve it, and make the paper pliable. I also used the Vasoline on the surround.. Newer speakers usually have a flexible coating on the surround [the surround is the outer edge].
                          Since the surround moves in and out a lot, the Vasoline kept the surround from tearing away from the metal edge..

All this may sound freaky, but it works!

Nowadays, they make a black coating to rejuvenate speaker cones..
                          My methods were more 'low-tech' heh

By coating the cones, this would help keep mold and such from returning..
                          marc
                          Will try the oil and vaseline!

Do they sell this black speaker cone coating?

Comment

I think you should be able to safely hook them up to a stereo system, but don't give them too much volume and remember that they aren't designed to handle bass, so be gentle! If the worst comes to the worst, you'll read in a few threads that some users have replaced the 6x9 speakers with higher quality car audio units. Hopefully, you'll be able to keep things original, though.

And, yes, only moderators and Admin have thread management tools. If anyone wants something changed, they only have to ask.
                            It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                            Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                            Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                            Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Originally posted by WurliTzer View Post
                              THANK YOU! Lol
                              So only a moderator can update the title?

-Christopher

-
                              No. The original poster can edit the title up to 15 minutes after posting. After that it takes a moderator to change it. You have to use the Go Advanced option of the editor to do so.

Likewise, you have 12 hours to edit or delete your posts after which changes can only be made by a moderator.
                              -Admin

Allen 965
                              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
                              X