Conn Martinique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conn Martinique

I've been offered one of these and Im just wondering if anyone has the specification or is there a file on here somewhere? Its some distance from me so I want to have more if an idea about what I getting.

Are these organs any good? Any views or reviews you could point me to?

Cheers
    Herbie

Good sounding organ. Not quite the old school Conn sound from the 60s, but quite close. Multiplexed keying so no issues with the vinyl keying rods, IIRC.

Tibias from 16 through 1 with a real Leslie. Reeds and strings are all at 8, but with 16 and 4 couplers. Lower has similar sounds but at 8 and 4 only. Decent tuned percussion section, with things like piano, glock, bells etc.

Reliability? Well, it's 1970s, so custom parts are going to be non-available. They normally run quite well, although I had a rogue one when it was first launched, always going wrong. That was the exception!

Value? Not much, I've seen them given away in the UK on more than one occasion.

There may be a brochure in the Gallery, if not you'll find it quite fast if you ask on the Vintage Organs Facebook group.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

It looks like an update to the "Theater" 643 (1972 - mine is a 75), then 644 Martinique (1976), 646 (1983). From what I can find,

61 key, 2-manual, 25 key pedal
      Rhythm box
      Percussion, Chorus, Reverb, Pedal sustain, Tibia sustain
      5 presets (nice, not on my 643)
      4 "accent" presets - must be like "modifiers" on my 643, minimally useful

Found this picture: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/294000681896160485/

From the picture, looks like it has the 2-speed Leslie and hi-low vibrato
      -- I'm Lamar -- Allen TC-4 Classic project, 1899 Kimball project
      -- M-37C, 44HPV2 melodicas, Rodgers W5000, RD300NX, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3
      -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Cheers guys. Yes this is a freebie. But it still costs to move it doesn't it. Hope it all works.

Comment

Don't know, Herbert. Here in swampy Georgia we'd just jump into our gas-guzzling pickup truck and go get it. (Or rent a little van... we're finally getting some European-sized small vans with great interior room.)

That improved keying Andy mentioned sounds VERY desirable... The Leslie on slow isn't like a Leslie on a Hammond - it's slower and gives a swirling effect. Good luck with it. I'd love to have her.
          -- M-37C, 44HPV2 melodicas, Rodgers W5000, RD300NX, Juno DS-61/88, FA-06 - Conn 643 - Hammond M3
          -- Public domain hymn search: https://songselect.ccli.com/search/r...t=publicdomain

Comment

Well no pickups here Silk. A very expensive thing this sidebof the pond. I love the American orgn sound and a Conn is missing from my collection. I played one of these in a club in mynlate teens. I dont remember much about it other than I nevet used anything other than 16.8.5 1/3. 4 with only 8 on the pedals. I was only interested in the Jazz sound then. Of course as I became a better organist and especially as Ive got older, 50s now. Ive became rather fond of the Theatre sound. Ive no room really but I will find some.

Comment

Looks like it comes with a curved-leg bench like the older models. My 643 has a straight-legged bench. The Martinique is a better looking organ, too. It has that extra row of buttons and beveled rather than straight sides. Looks more like 650 from the side. Please let us know how you come out with it.

Comment

Working...
              X