Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning tabs and keys on Allen - maybe useful?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning tabs and keys on Allen - maybe useful?

I often thought that a theater organ console looks like an open mouth.

So we have this single bolster Allen organ where the tabs had 30 plus years of grime on them. Wiping with a rag and some window cleaner helped a bit , but the red tabs had white letters that still looked brown. Enter the "mouth" idea. Using a a soft toothbrush and some diluted whitening toothpaste we went to work on the tabs: brush gently top and sides, wipe clean with a damp rag, and dry and polish with a soft cotton rag. They now look brand new!

A few precautions: put a towel under the tabs as you work on them, and don't scrub too hard - some of the white lettering started to come out, but a white filler pencil restored it easily.

Cleaning keys on an Allen or similar organ is a pain if you want to do it right. We found that simply removing the plastic keycaps - about 20 minutes per 61 notes - and washing them in a tub of warm water with dishwashing soap gives excellent results. Just give them adequate time to fully dry. Re-assembly takes about the same amount of time. It also gives you a chance to vacuum out any debris that may have accumulated between the keysticks.

I wonder what Allen would think of all this?
    Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

I found that Simple Green did a great job of removing the accumulation of crud on the white lettering of my Allen stop tabs. Spray, let stand 5 or 10 seconds and blot with an absorbent towel. No brushing was required to restore the letters to a brilliant white.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Good idea! I'll try that as well.
      Can't play an note but love all things "organ" Responsible for 2/10 Wurli pipe organ, Allen 3160(wife's), Allen LL324, Allen GW319EX, ADC4600, many others. E-organ shop to fund free organ lessons for kids.

Comment

Working...
      X