No announcement yet.

Need Advice on Purchase of Used Theatre Organ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The American Theatre Organ Society (ATOS) publishes a bimonthly magazine, Theatre Organ included with membership. See: https://www.atos.org/atos-membership

It is definitely biased towards theatre pipe organs, rather than electronic.

Comment

Thanks--I will definitely look into that!
      sigpic
      1956 Hammond C-3
      Circa 1965 Leslie 145
      1963 Hammond D-152
      1963 Hammond C-3
      1959 Hammond HR-40 Tone Cabinet
      Motion Sound Pro 3
      Motion Sound Low Pro
      1958 Hammond M-3
      C.Bechstein D282 9'3" Concert Grand
      1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

I read up (some) on the Hauptwerk software and it sounds incredible. I can see why so many of you have gone that route.
        sigpic
        1956 Hammond C-3
        Circa 1965 Leslie 145
        1963 Hammond D-152
        1963 Hammond C-3
        Motion Sound Pro 3
        Motion Sound Low Pro
        1958 Hammond M-3
        1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Robert View Post
          Being a novice, the term Hauptwerk is Greek (or German, as the case may be), to me. And I must confess, I am a decidedly non-computer, technical sort of guy, so if I did invest in having a vintage organ converted to MIDI and all the rest, I would definitely not be doing the work myself--I fear I may accidentally create a doomsday device!

But returning to my ignorance of the whole Hauptwerk thingamabob, is there a magazine devoted solely to the Theatre Organ afficianado? That may a good way for me to come to terms with all of the new-fangled nomenclature, in addition to pleasurably immersing myself further in the whole Theatre Organ experience.

- - - Updated - - -
          Look up the Hauptwerk Forum (http://forum.hauptwerk.com/) as they have more comprehensive information than on this forum. Although in a more condensed form this forum answers many of the major issues anyway if you use the search facility as there are a growing number of Hauptwerk users here.

The Hauptwerk Forum covers topics on. . .
          • News and Announcements
          • Hauptwerk Instruments
          • Performance Practice
          • Photos of Consoles, Installations and Audio Systems
          • Technical Support
          • Suggestions and Enhancements
          • Creating Samplesets and Recording Organs
          • Custom Design Module Definitions
          • Audio and MIDI Interfacing
          • DIY Consoles (DIY)
          • Computer Hardware and Specifications
          • Amplification
          • For Sale and Wanted
          • Vendors (Consoles, MIDI and Computer Hardware)

As for proponents of the VTPO, I think there can be few better at the moment than Pierre Fracalanza who has this YouTube account with songs played very much based upon the works of Buddy Cole . . .

Pierre has started to multitrack his Paramount Organ Works 4/50 VTPO
          and an old Enoch Light recording to recreate the Big Band/Organ Sound created by Buddy Cole and the Monty Kelly 1940 All Stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TKkXAazTiA

Or just the Paramount with Garritan Virtual Piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQX_ow_5OzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn70Q3HUN50

References:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheatrePierre/videos

www.ParamountOrganWorks.com

http://www.keymediaproductions.com/

Last edited by Doddy.van.Straaten; 12-16-2018, 09:19 AM.
          Neil Jenson 'Connoisseur' 3/35 VTPO. Gulbransen Rialto II.
          Building a full set of WERSI W3 voice filters and designing new Hammond X-66 voice filters for a new MIDI controlled organ.
          Various Leslie speaker projects including 'Rotosonic' L102, L103, L212S and building a new L122 cabinet.

Comment

Thanks! Great info and links you attached here.
            sigpic
            1956 Hammond C-3
            Circa 1965 Leslie 145
            1963 Hammond D-152
            1963 Hammond C-3
            Motion Sound Pro 3
            Motion Sound Low Pro
            1958 Hammond M-3
            1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

Dear Doc. Robert,

In one of the contributions to this thread, my ad for the free Allen 3 manual theatre organ was mentioned, so I continued reading this entire thread, hoping you might be interested in taking up this free offer. The organ is here, in north Atlanta, if you decide you want it.

The organ I'm offering actually belongs to my local American Theatre Organ Society chapter...the Atlanta chapter. It belonged to one of our most beloved members who passed away earlier this year. I am storing it in my warehouse to prevent it being thrown away. The original 3 tone cabinets for this organ were sold by mistake, during the estate sale, and could not be retrieved. However, I have three identical tone cabinets that match this organ, but would need to be refurbished, as some of the components in my cabinets have been given away to other Allen owners. The missing components can be found (with a bit of patience) on Ebay, quite often.

Restoring the tone cabinets would render a fully working 3 manual Allen analog (transistor model) theatre organ. This was the biggest 3 manual theatre organ the company built in the 1960s. As the organ stands at this moment, it can either be brought to life as an analog instrument, or it can be stripped out, and totally converted over to a Hauptwerk based organ, running several choices of theatre organ programs. (Hauptwerk can be understood a little better, if you think of it as a relay machine, that connects the organ console to the pipes. It does a lot of other things, but as a beginner, you will find it easier to understand if you limit your thought about it as a relay).

What has not been said here, and I think, from my own personal experience, is important for you to consider: You will find the greatest "peace of mind" and comfort with your instrument, if you have a friend, or a technician, whom you can rely on to work with you, in the process of getting the instrument up and running, and maintaining it thereafter.

I have the same, identical instrument, as the one I have advertised. I'm a retired professional theatre organist, and for my ears, I wanted the best sounding, non pipe instrument I could obtain, on a semi-retired musician's income. I was very confused, and intimidated by all the technical language and hoops I needed to jump through, in order to achieve the theatre organs offered by Hauptwerk. Through my membership in my ATOS club, here in Atlanta, I found a member who was experienced, and knowledgeable, about building a Hauptwerk instrument, and with his instruction and guidance, I built my own 3 manual theatre organ, and I am overjoyed with the results. If I lived close by your location in Ohio, I could actually guide you, step by step, through the process of building your own Hauptwerk instrument, and we'd have fun doing it. When you know what to do, and how to go about the project, it's a fun project, and one you can take pride in, once you're sitting on the bench and playing the music.

But keep in mind, whether restoring an analog instrument, or building your own Hauptwerk instrument, your very first investment should be making a new friend who can help you with your project.

Through the years, I have found the most satisfying instruments in two particular analog organs. The Wurlitzer 4500 series organs were nice sounding instruments, and the Conn 644 and 635 instruments were also interesting sounding. I found in both these instruments, I could work up my musical arrangements on them, and then transfer over to the theatre pipe organs I played, with relatively few ear adjustments. Of course, all of these organs were 25 pedal instruments, but if you are interested in playing theatre organ type music, practically everything will be played no further up the pedal board than an octave and a half up, from low pedal C.

Curiously, these instruments always satisfied me through the years I played at the Alabama Theatre, in Birmingham, the Music Grinder Pizza Parlor, in Marietta, Georgia, and the big Moller in the Fox Theatre, in Atlanta. It was only after I retired from playing these big organs, that I felt I had "outgrown" my two manual Wurlitzer and Conn organs, here at home. I was ready for something bigger and more elaborate, and that's why I started looking at the possibilities of having a Hauptwerk instrument.

My personal experience: From the very first Tibia note I played on the Hauptwerk organ, I forgot all about the instruments I had been playing for the last 40 years. There simply is no comparison between the two types of instruments.

Every few weeks, I play a big Allen theatre organ at the Strand Theatre, in Marietta, Georgia. I believe it's the current model George Wright Signature instrument that Allen builds. While it sounds wonderful, I find it is no improvement in sound over what I have in my home. I also played a mini concert back in June, at my old post, in the Alabama Theatre, in Birmingham. Again, even an authentic "Mighty Wurlitzer" of 32 ranks, I found it to be an equal sound to my Hauptwerk instrument. So as an experienced theatre organist of many years, I feel that I can honestly say, I have found total satisfaction for myself, in my Hauptwerk based instrument.

But again, I really encourage you, whether you settle on an analog instrument, or a digital instrument, your most important first step should be finding and keeping a good technician, or a knowledgeable friend, who will help you in your new project.

All best wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay999 View Post
                In one of the contributions to this thread, my ad for the free Allen 3 manual theater organ was mentioned, so I continued reading this entire thread, hoping you might be interested in taking up this free offer. The organ is here, in north Atlanta, if you decide you want it.
                WOW! And there you have it! If it were me, I would jump all over this....rip everything out, convert that console to MIDI, and throw a Hauptwerk conversion party (LOL)!
                And YES....you could convert every blessed tab, knob, switch, key, piston, etc. on that console and make it 100% compatible with the H/W software for a seamless conversion.

All the drawknobs, couplers, toe pistons, memory preset buttons, etc. are functional on my 3 manual Rodgers/HW setup. And since I gutted out the console (leaving a copious amount of room in there), I was able to place the PC and all associated hardware inside...so you don't see it. Everything is controlled from the console....even powering up. I even placed a USB port on the console front panel for any updates or to install new sample sets. See pics below...

Doc...it's a sign!! It may be a project over a few months....but I guarantee you would be completely in love with this setup when you were done

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp rack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	606806 Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical paths.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	606807 Click image for larger version

Name:	Start-Run.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	606805 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Outlet Panel.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	606808 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160928_222659.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	606809
                1st born: 1958 B3 & 1964 Leslie 122
                Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)
                Daily Workhorse: 3 Manual Rodgers running Hauptwerk 4.2
                New Kid on the Block: Hammond Novachord (year not determined yet)

Comment

Just a quick FWIW here....

This is a pic of a recently converted theater organ console....a 1927 Kimball now running Hauptwerk in Chicago.
                  The console conversion used hardware from: http://www.dtsmidisystems.com/ (the pic is from that homepage).

I used this hardware myself. The owner of the site (also a "Joe") was absolutely fantastic with support and help. He held my hand a lot until I was able to understand the basic concepts. Which really wasn't that big of a deal. Everything is pretty much "point to point" contacts. If you understand what "positive" and "negative" are....you can do this!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	kimball.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	606811

Here is a link to a page showing some of the conversions using the DTS system: http://www.dtsmidisystems.com/dts-mi...allations.html
                  Most Proud of: 1938 Concert Model E paired w/ 1948 Leslie 31A & Vibratone (Leslie) 30A (c.1942)

Comment

Joey, Is the DTS an American company?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay999 View Post
                      Joey, Is the DTS an American company?
                      Yes, they are in Illinois.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have a friend who is hunting around for a complete MIDI system. I'll advise him to look into DTS. Their prices
                        are considerably less expensive than what I paid for my Classic MIDI Works equipment five years ago. Thanks again.

Comment

Hello, Jay--I am sorry I didn't notice your extraordinarily generous offer until now. Thank you! I would be thrilled to own an Allen organ. I'm also eager to join the American Theatre Organ Society. I'm looking forward to further immersing myself in the whole theatre organ experience, meeting new friends, and learning more about this great art form.
                          sigpic
                          1956 Hammond C-3
                          Circa 1965 Leslie 145
                          1963 Hammond D-152
                          1963 Hammond C-3
                          Motion Sound Pro 3
                          Motion Sound Low Pro
                          1958 Hammond M-3
                          1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

An Allen ADC 4600 just popped up on Barton's classifieds.
                            http://barton.theatreorgans.com/selectedad.asp?ID=24236
                            An ADC-4600 will have midi for the keys and pedals but probably not for the stops, pistons, or expression shoes. You would be able to test out VTPO systems on it but they won't be fully implemented. It may be possible to add midi for the stops, pistons, and expression shoes later if you wanted to eventually make it a full VTPO.
                            Sam
                            Home: Allen ADC-4500 Church: Allen MDS-5
                            Files: Allen Tone Card (TC) Database, TC Info, TC Converter, TC Mixer, ADC TC SF2, and MOS TC SF2, ADC TC Cad/Rvt, MOS TC Cad/Rvt, Organ Database, Music Library, etc. PM for unlinked files.

Comment

Hi Jay,

I sent you a private message and wanted to make sure you received it. I would be thrilled to own an Allen organ. Thanks again!
                              sigpic
                              1956 Hammond C-3
                              Circa 1965 Leslie 145
                              1963 Hammond D-152
                              1963 Hammond C-3
                              Motion Sound Pro 3
                              Motion Sound Low Pro
                              1958 Hammond M-3
                              1977 Wurlitzer 200A

Comment

Originally posted by samibe View Post
                                An Allen ADC 4600 just popped up on Barton's classifieds.
                                http://barton.theatreorgans.com/selectedad.asp?ID=24236
                                An ADC-4600 will have midi for the keys and pedals but probably not for the stops, pistons, or expression shoes. You would be able to test out VTPO systems on it but they won't be fully implemented. It may be possible to add midi for the stops, pistons, and expression shoes later if you wanted to eventually make it a full VTPO.
                                I wish:
                                1. I were closer so I could see it.
                                2. I had the money to pay what they're asking.

Oh, well! In a couple of decades.

Michael
                                Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                                • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                                • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                                • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

Working...
                                X