Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Vanderlee
    commented on 's reply
    I just worked on a Trio, looks like the same one. The ad said one of the pistons wasn't working. I had that problem on 2 pistons; turned out that a solid bus wire that ran from piston to piston tacked on with solder, had separated from the pin on these pistons, If you consider the wood mounting which may have some flex, it was probably metal fatigue of the solder joints. Easy fix.

• toodles
    replied
    The MDS Theatre Plus was the 1st Allen to offer 2nd touch and was in the smaller console, not EX. It was on the accompaniment, and only as a coupler from the Solo, though it also was available as a MIDI channel. The MDS 317 (EX or not) also had 2nd touch.

The R311 and Q311 models had 2nd touch, too.

That freebie Rodgers is a Trio. Trio's used a non-AGO pedalboard.

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by Horseshoe_or
    Here is an analog Rodgers Theater Organ for free but the shipping to Ohio won't be cheep: https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/m...089948540.html
    Shipping to Ohio? I'm confused! Your location shows Phoenix, AZ, and the organ is near Sacramento, CA. I think that's cheaper than going to Ohio.

If you get it for free, that's probably a good price (as long as it is working), and that Leslie speaker isn't one of the most-desired models. Analog will probably need tuning on arrival, but will provide a decent sound–I'm just not sure about a decent theatre sound.

I hope that helps some.

Michael

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent information, Toodles! I, too would hold out for a 317EX because I believe only the EX model had second touch.

Michael

P.S. I fixed a spelling error for you–hope you don't mind.

• toodles
    replied
    Only tho models of MDS theatre organs had the "III" in the model number: the MDS Theatre III (standard model) and the MDS Theatre III Deluxe--this was the basis for my reply.

Neither of the "Plus" models had the "III", in the model number, but organists commonly mistakenly include the "III" in the model number which adds to the confusion . The actual model numbers are:

MDS Theatre III
    MDS Theater III Deluxe
    MDS Theatre Plus (aka Lynn Larsen)
    MDS Theatre Plus Deluxe (aka Tom Hazleton) (double horseshoe stop bolster)
    MDS 312
    MDS 317
    MDS 317 EX (double horseshoe stop bolster).

The 319 was part of the signature series, and not a regular MDA model, GW 319 (for George Wright) to be specific.

I can't recommend the MDS 312, as tuned percussions are not included in the stoplist. They become pretty important for theatre organ registration. The Theatre III models give the most bang for the buck in terms of their stop list. The 317's would be my second choice, but tend to sell for higher prices.

The EX models are a tight fit for a 36 inch doorway; the non-EX models are much less challenging.
    Last edited by myorgan; 04-08-2020, 06:22 PM. Reason: Fix error.

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, there was a 319, however, I've never seen one listed for sale. There was also a 312, and I've only seen one of those for sale.

Michael

• Horseshoe_or
    replied
    Actually 3 versions. Theater III Deluxe Plus. Wasn't there a 319 also?

Leave a comment:

• toodles
    replied
    MDS Theatre III was available in 2 versions: standard with self contained speakers, prepared for externals (4 channel); and Deluxe with only external speakers, but with added toe studs and crescendo and a little more trim at the base of the console.

With Allen MDS Theatre III organs so reasonably priced, I hesitate to recommend the Rodgers Olympic 333. ADC 4600 are a little less than the MDS, but I prefer the MDS models. It's hard to beat the Theatre III for stoplist and value these days.

Leave a comment:

• myorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Htejchma,

For me, it sounds a bit steep for price, but Toodles is our resident member who is most familiar with Rodgers organs.

Michael

• htejchma
    replied
    Rodgers Olympic 333 with Klipish speakers. 2K sound reasonable? Has been regularly maintain Ed.

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    The Theatre III is self contained but external speakers can be added. Here's a picture of one that our chapter, Valley of the Sun Chapter of the American Theatre Organ Society, donated to Phoenix College

Last edited by Admin; 01-05-2019, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sweet melody 79
    replied
    Originally posted by Admin View Post

You should be able to get an Allen Theatre III (MDS vintage) in that price range. Older Allen models such as ADC and MOS even less.
    Thank you!, just so i understand. Are they self contained units of are the speakers separate

Leave a comment:

• Admin
    replied
    Originally posted by sweet melody 79 View Post
    So, what does a Allen 3 manual digital organ cost? Could i get anything decent for $6000 - $8000?
    You should be able to get an Allen Theatre III (MDS vintage) in that price range. Older Allen models such as ADC and MOS even less.

Leave a comment:

• sweet melody 79
    replied
    So, what does a Allen 3 manual digital organ cost? Could i get anything decent for $6000 - $8000?

Leave a comment:

• John Vanderlee
    replied
    We are the New York Theatre Organ Society www.nytos.org, and this summer we received an Allen 4500, not as nice as the 4600, but still impressive and self contained! We were thinking of putting it in the classifieds later, but if there is interest now, PM me for details.

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X