Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Conn theatre spinet model ID?

Hi,

Came across this organ for free around an hour away. I'm pretty sure it's a Conn theatre-style spinet. Maybe a 552? It's free at a church, just wondering if it's worth my while. Is it similar in function to the Baldwin CT-2R that I had to pass on?

Here's the only picture there is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	conn-organ-canyon-free.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	649813

Thanks,

-Max

P.S. If there's a problem with me posting these "id" threads, please let me know.

Kimball R-80 Broadway, Kimball S-20 Valencia III, Western Cottage Organ Co. Reed Organ

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Borsini Vienna 723, other assorted accordions

Assorted keyboards/synthesizers

"...as you probably know, I take written music as more of a suggestion since we do typically change things up and do them a bit differently."
    - A. Bonsell

Yep, definitely a 552 Theatrette. If it all works, it's a decent sounding spinet, but all the issues with Conns of that vintage (early 70s) discussed in the Forum apply.
    Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

Looks clean and probably well cared for. Definitely better than the old Baldwin you were considering. There may be some issues but at least the technology behind it is more accessible.
      John
      ----------
      Church: Allen MDS-45 with Allen MIDI-DIVISION-II expander
      Home: Allen Renaissance R-230 with expanded four-channel audio and MIDI-DIVISION-II
      Shop: Bunch of organs in varying conditions, some good, some not...
      Half of an incredible two-man organ service team -- servicing all the major digitals in Arkansas churches
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Nice sounding organ. Doesn't have the pretty percussion etc that the Baldwin has, but the theatre sound is better, IMHO. Issues? As twnelson said, they've all been discussed many times here, but the biggie is the vinyl keying rods giving problems. Everything else in there is fixable.

If you try it, check the reed and string voices on every note on upper and lower manuals. If they don't play, or are scratchy, then it's the keying rods, so read through the many threads on the subject. I've come across 1970s Conns that are still working just fine, so it's not a universal problem.

Get a good 552 (or its even better 3 manual sibling, the 580) and you have a very nice theatre spinet!
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current organ: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball something-or-other.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.

Comment

Working...
        X