No announcement yet.

Palace lll Tech manuals and conversion to VPO/VTPO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may not need to extend the key desk, as it is OK of the manuals hang past the back edge of the keydesk. You might not need anything or perhaps just a cleat on the left and right. As such, I suggest you wait until you get the keyboards to make any mods.

I am with you on the pandemic risks, as I have several risk factors as well. I'm hoping they get the vaccine going ASAP. Till then, i mostly sit tight.

Comment

You're very understanding and helpful beyond measure. I'll just continue to polish the case

Comment

It's a nice looking case, worthy of polishing! I've got a spare expression pedal or two that are also yours if you want. They are the newer Rodgers style, with rectangular pedal and chrome trim. The Thomas pedal is plastic, and a little flimsy.

Comment

I'm definitely interested in the expression shoes. The Thomas shoe was incorporated with the main amp and unusable. Eventually I'd like 3 shoes and I've seen many on eBay.
          Now I'm researching magnetic reed switches for the pedals. Hauptwerk has some good articles and leads. Google revealed many DIY projects of varying complexity. While I'm not a cabinet maker by trade, I'm not afraid of trying anything. When I finally find some switches for reasonable price, I'll order 34 just in case my thumbs get in the way.
          My arms are a little tired from polishing, but the case is in wonderful shape, not marks or stains. The bench had a couple cigarette burns which , I believe happened while she was in storage and not cared for by the original owner. I'll sand the lid down and refinish it.
          Steve

Comment

Be careful sanding down--the veneer is pretty thin. You might have to re-veneer it. I can get you expression 3 pedals.

Comment

Outstanding!! I've been researching installing expression pedals and see potentiometers mentioned. Are they usually a part of the assembly or do I need to add them?

Comment

The ones I have already have them attached; you can replace them if you need a different value, as standard pots will fit.

Comment

To my understanding, I only have to program the encoder with the values. As it is, I'm considering the Hauptwerk Hardware Universal MIDI Encoder from GB.

Comment

Hi,
                    I haven't been idle. The palace has been completely gutted. I did salvage the Solo and Accompaniment manuals. I put them on Craigslist with the pedal board, free for pickup. A 14 year old young man saw the ad, begged his Dad and Grandpa for them and they picked it all up the same day the ad appeared. The youngster has been studying piano for years and wants to build his own MIDI organ. I'm pleased I was able to help him along as I am being helped by Toodles and others here.
                    The bench hinges are now repaired. The case has been treated multiple times with old English Lemon Oil and is gleaming. I installed a surge-protector power strip inside for the VPO computer, mixer, audio-interface, and lighting. I guess I'll also need to upgrade the computer's sound card while I'm at it. Putting LED lighting on the horseshoe lid is in the planning stage while awaiting more clips, hold-downs and extensions. I have an extension shelf for the keydesk but will wait until I have keyboard stack and pedals before screwing it all together. More later.

Comment

Bob Howlett of Hauptwerk Hardware in England, has some excellent DIY videos for his Universal Encoder and other products. Toodles reminded me to try not to solder near the gold contacts so to avoid cutting the Common Line and damaging the Gold-on-gold contacts, Hauptwerk Hardware also has E-Z Strip boards with all the diodes already in place to connect the Rodgers wiring to. Then it plugs into the Encoder.
                      I've installed some LED lighting. It can be dimmed and the horseshoe looks nice laying out the the work table. Re-installing it is proving difficult though. So now we wait until the pandemic slows in Arizona, Nevada, and Utah, and I get the vaccine. Then I can pick up the rest of the components Toodles has for me. WHAT A GUY!
                      after that, I get to work again.

Comment

Originally posted by AZSteve View Post
                        It will fit, both keyboards and pedals! I'll definitely use reed switches/magnets as they're more reliable than whisker contacts. I do have to extend the keydesk of the Palace another 11" but the supports are already there. Can we wait until this Pandemic starts to wind down and vaccinations are available to the public? I have mild heart disease, also a mild form of leukemia. As a result, I've been extremely cautious about going anywhere that requires an overnight. With my history as a critical care registered nurse, I don't trust hotel/motel sanitation nor will I fly anywhere for the next 12 months. Once I get this dream all up and running, I'll send you a copy of the journal with pix and maybe a recording. I have a large Acer PC dedicated to VPO/VTPO. I am going to upgrade the sound card as long I'm going "whole hog". My endless thanks to you, Toodles, and to Tucson Dave for helping me so immensely.
                        I love that knee switch which was actually a sawed off sharp pedal from Thomas's spinet line. If you don't have plans for it would you consider selling it? PM me if so. Thanks!
                        Over the years: Hammond M3, BC, M102, B3, four X77s and three PR-40s, a Thomas Electra and a Celebrity, three Fender Rhodes, Roland HS-10, HP-2000, HP-600, RD-600, JV-880, a thing made by Korg (?), two Leslie 910s, 122, 257, 258, 247, two 142s, and three custom-built Leslies. Wow, way too much money spent!

Comment

Working...
                        X