Conn 522

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conn 522

Have had this organ over 40 years and got away from playing it. Last night sat down and rhythm unit would not beat. Any suggestions what to do

Welcome to the Forum, Rosemary!

I once sat down at a disused Conn, and found that exercising the stop switches eventually helped. While you're waiting for better advice than I've given, you may try that to see if it helps.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I guess you meant a 552 rather than 522, as there doesn't appear to be a Conn with that model number. Could be almost anything given the age of the organ - it came out in 1972 and was replaced by the 553 a few years later. A photo would help if you're not 100% sure of the model.

Prime suspect might be the volume slider - electronic organs absolutely hate not being used, so exercise it quite a bit and see if that does anything. If it partially comes back it can be given a squirt of Caig De-Oxit Fader Lube. Nothing else will do - don't use regular contact cleaner. You'll probably find a few other issues arising from a lengthy period of non-use, key and stop contacts being perhaps the obvious ones - and Conns have well-known issues as they age.

Could be that the rhythm section isn't getting any power, or perhaps there's a fault in the audio path from the rhythm section to the amplifier.

Diagnosis at a distance is tricky, it's a bit like phoning your garage and asking why your car's engine is running a bit rough.
      It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
      Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
      Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
      Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
      X