This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conn Rhapsody 628-4

I know of a Conn Rhapsody 628-4 Theatre organ for sale.

The person is asking $700. I haven't seen it yet.

Is that a fair price?

How old is this organ? Is it any good?

Can it be made into a MIDI easily and inexpensively?

Tony

Re: Conn Rhapsody 628-4

[quote user="Tony Milwaukee"]

I know of a Conn Rhapsody 628-4 Theatre organ for sale. The person is asking $700.[/quote]

G'day Tony,

The 628 Rhapsody 61/61/25 console dates back to 1968 and marks the changeover from tubes to transistor in that series. As for the price $700 is way overthe top.[N] As a comparison there is currently a 1968 Serenade 632 (big brother to 628) on Ebay OZ with a buy now price of AUD$50 (USD $40), which pretty much say it all.

As for a midi retrofit, the answer is yes, over here a unit that works would cost AUD$1500 (USD$1200) installed.

Cheers,

Ian

sigpic
    Hammond X77GT & Leslie 77P
    Lowrey C500 & Leslie 720/540
    Hammond T524 & Leslie 710
    Gulbransen Theatrum & Leslie 700
    Yamaha EL90T

Comment

Re: Conn Rhapsody 628-4

[quote user="Tony Milwaukee"] The person is asking $700. I haven't seen it yet.

Is that a fair price?

How old is this organ? Is it any good?

Can it be made into a MIDI easily and inexpensively?[/quote]

The Conn Rhapsody is not a theatre organ. It is more of a church organ regarding style and voicing. This modeldates back to around 1973; so it has no real commercial value. Certainly $700 is waaay high, even if it's in perfect working order (this week).

Anything can be made into a midi, but this would not be agood candidate. And without a 32 note pedal board, it wouldn't even be agood prospect for a rebuild, such as this one:http://phoenixorgans.com/installatio...nstallation=86

2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

What kind of Conn is it? Re: Conn Rhapsody 628-4

From what you guys have said about the Conn Rhapsody 628-4, the organ that this person is selling must be a different kind of Conn.

They sent me a picture of the organ and it has 3 manuals and a 32 note pedal board.

They also said it was from 1980.

That doesn't sound like what you are saying a Conn Rhapsody looks like.

How much would a Conn with 3 manuals and 32 pedals be worth?

Is $700 too much?

Tony

Comment

Re: What kind of Conn is it? Re: Conn Rhapsody 628-4

3 manuals means its either an 830 Classic or one of the 65x theatre series. 1980 would mean a 652.That makes a big difference to the value, so maybe that figure isn't so bad after all, but it depends how well it's working too. Let's see that photo and we'll know for sure - if the photo is actually of the organ that's being sold.

There were two 'flavours' of the Rhapsody, BTW. The straight one that Clarion mentions and the Rhapsody Deluxe, with added 'toys' like Voice Fun Master.

Andy

It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Here is the organ. What kind is it?

How much is it worth?

Tony

Comment

That's either a 650 or 651 Theatre. Almost impossible to say from this pic. The 651 has an automatic rhythm unit in the lower left cheek block and the 650 doesn't. There are a few other differences but that's the clincher.

Neither are from 1980. The 650 ran from 1968 to 1973 and the 651 from 1973 to 1978.

Worth $700? In full working order, I'd pay the UK equivalent if I were after a 3-deck console.

Read through some of the Conn threads on this site for details on reliability issues etc. Converting it for MIDI has also been dealt with here and also over on the MidiTzer site at www.virtualorgan.com

Any idea why they called the organ a Rhapsody?

Andy

It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
              Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
              Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
              Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Looks like a Conn 650/651. Nice organ! Slowdog294 has a bunch of videos played on this organ on Youtube, i.e.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=iNVZrXYb71M

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IvBEHo9YF_c

2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

Working...
                X