Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbird604
    commented on 's reply
    You know, I hadn't actually thought about that very much. But a quick Google search reveals that only 23 million people in the world speak Dutch natively, another 4 million as a second language. By contrast, there are 1.5 BILLION people who can speak English! (Only 360 million of them as their mother tongue, but still, that's a LOT of people.)

I suppose it's a wise move on the part of the Dutch educational system to have the kids grow up speaking other languages. I do hope though that their native Dutch will never become extinct. It's such a lovely sounding language!

• voet
    commented on 's reply
    Because Dutch is not spoken by many people in the world, school children in the Netherlands learn English, French and German. They also have access to TV programs in other languages. When they are in college, their courses are taught in the language of the textbook.

A number of years ago while making a bicycle trip through the Netherlands with a friend, I had a flat tire. As I was repairing it, a young boy came up and asked, "Are you from the states?" "Yes," I said. His next question was "Do you know Bruce Springsteen?"

• jbird604
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, I discovered that when I actually watched it. Didn't watch it all, but I was amazed at how good their English is. Even little comments they made to each other during the English portion were done in English. Must be an amazing thing to be so thoroughly bi-lingual. And I'm SO happy that Gert didn't grow up to be a fire fighter!

• voet
    replied
    Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
    Might be interesting, even if one can't understand most of it!
    John, the second half is in English, starting at the 36 minuet point.

Leave a comment:

• jbird604
    replied
    Thanks for the link. Might be interesting, even if one can't understand most of it! They are a lovely couple and are doing the organ world a lot of good.

Leave a comment:

• voet
    started a topic Gert & Marjolein van Hoef Q & A

Gert & Marjolein van Hoef Q & A

Today the van Hoef's posted a video answering questions from fans. It begins in Dutch, but you can hear it in English at the 36 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRE3SrUzV0A

If it can be worked out, they plan to be in the US next April.
Working...
X