No announcement yet.

Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the oxford style. Bought them decades ago, have some wear spots on them as expected, but no need to buy another pair.

When I started taking lessons I was told that you should only wear them when in the vicinity of the console, as part of the idea was to keep the pedals clean and scuff free. For the most part I've been able to do that.

I know some people play in socks and I have no problem with that. Have tried in myself but due to leg length or whatever, I need that low blocky heel many times to cleanly hit notes.
    Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

Comment

Steve,

The purpose of organ shoes is varied. They support the foot without having to shape the foot unnaturally to play the pedals. Of course, as the same time, they allow one to feel the pedals through the soles of the shoes as well.
      Originally posted by Steve Freides View Post
      All kidding aside, I do end up wearing my organist shoes around a bit sometimes, and my wife's observation is that these look like what they call "character" shoes in the theater, or tap dance shoes.
      Bad boy, Steve! The leather soles of the shoes tend to pick up dirt and debris from the surrounding area where the "normal" people have walked, and that is then transferred to the pedals where the grime continues to grind. I've also noticed in the winter that the carpet in our church tends to hold moisture. If I walk with my organ shoes where someone has just come in out of the snow (or rain), the soles of the organ shoes picks up the moisture and makes it difficult to slide the soles of the shoes on the pedals.

Your wife is right, in that the organ shoes do closely resemble character shoes used in the theatre. Granted, they aren't the most stylish shoes on earth, however, they serve a very specific useful purpose.

Is your intent to find a shoe you can continue to wear both on and off the organ bench without changing? I'm sure there are other options, but please keep in mind the original purpose of wearing organ shoes. Meanwhile, let me research this topic, because I seem to remember people having similar discussions over the years.

Michael
      Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
      • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
      • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Comment

I stick to the organmaster shoes. Although, I've heard also some use tap shoes (without the taps of course). I'll wear them as long as I'm in the sanctuary. The only thing I don't like about keeping them on is they don't breath well and get very warm.

Comment

I've got white organmaster maryjanes - the white ones were 20% off the week I started lessons and it's not like the color is going to matter for a good long while yet. My teacher strongly recommended learning to play in shoes and as I'm paying good money for his professional guidance I should listen to it. He wears tapless jazz shoes, but I like the heels on the regular organ shoes. My foot is not flexible enough to play thirds without it, although I'm finding that is improving as I play.

Comment

I use dance shoes with suede sole. One of the main reasons is I can go into a dance supply store and try on every shoe until I find a suitable fit. They are also available in varying colours and styles, with the basic traits one needs in an organ shoe. Every so often there is a sale at the dance supply store, and a great time to grab shoes if one needs a pair. Often you will see last years style at the sale, likely not a concern for many organists to have the current trend in shoes.

One pair stays at home, only for home practice. Another pair stays in church.

Comment

If you buy men's jazz dance shoes (ones that have the heel) they work fine as long as the heel as a felt piece or something. They also look more like normal dress shoes. Another option, which I use almost always, is to not wear shoes; only socks. You would be surprised how easy it is and you can really feel the pedals and navigate better (in my opinion). My brother is a pro in South Carolina and organmaster is apparently what the "pros use".
            “I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
            Organs I Play: Allen 2100 (Home) and a 1951 (Relocated), 3 manual, 55 (working) stop, 60 rank M.P. Moller (OLSOS Church).

Comment

I've used Organ Master Shoes for more than 20 years. If the shoes are worn away from the organ, the soles can be "cleaned" by a light brushing with an old suede brush with fine wire bristles. My dog likes to curl up next to the pedals as I play. If I get up from the bench, I end up with a nice coating of white hair on the soles. First a clothes brush then the suede brush and the suede-like nap comes right back. I'm on my third pair now. If you're concerned that people will see your feet, wear bright red socks and they won't even notice your shoes.

Comment

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by AZSteve
                If you're concerned that people will see your feet, wear bright red socks and they won't even notice your shoes.
                I gotta try that some time! I wonder if it helps the church people listen better to the Prelude? I guess I'd need purple headphones for that!

Michael

If the mail comes while I am playing the organ, I put my rubbers (aka galoshes) over my organ shoes to go out to the mailbox. It works well.
              Bill

My home organ: Content M5800 as a midi controller for Hauptwerk

Comment

• myorgan
                myorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Bill,

At least you're not like our exchange daughter from the Netherlands in Math class at the Christian school. She leaned over to the boy next to her and asked if she could borrow his rubber (eraser). Needless to say, there was quite a pause before he responded.

Michael

P.S. Great idea to protect the organ shoes. When I finally get my garage finished I'll be negotiating the distance between the house and the garage. I was thinking of getting bread bags to put over the shoes.

• tbeck
                tbeck commented
                Editing a comment
                Bread bags would be a great look, but Totes makes a slip-on rubber for your shoes which might be a prophylactic measure against premature wearing of the soles.

• voet
                voet commented
                Editing a comment
                Because the readers of this forum are international, I realized that even other people who speak English might not know what I was talking about.

Once on a bicycle trip in the Netherlands, the flick stand on my bike broke. I went to a bike shop and asked if he could repair or replace my flick stand. The man looked shocked. I later discovered that Dutch slang for a homosexual man is "flikker."

Philip Powell, I have tried playing in my stocking feet - I need the pointy toe of the shoe to avoid hitting more than one pedal at a time once in a while. Yes, wide feet, and also in my socks I tend to let the pedal I'm playing sort of sink into my foot, which the shoe prevents from happening.

-S-

Comment

Does anybody know of a brand that looks exactly like dress shoes (not Organmasters)? I see organists in videos wearing shoes like dress shoes and I really want a pair.
                “I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.” - Johann Sebastian Bach
                Organs I Play: Allen 2100 (Home) and a 1951 (Relocated), 3 manual, 55 (working) stop, 60 rank M.P. Moller (OLSOS Church).

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Philip,

In post #17 above (https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...144#post722144) I provided links to previous conversations on this topic. Answers to your question ranged from Capezios to Florsheim. You can read the details on the old threads.

Michael

• Philip Powell
                  Philip Powell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Micheal,
                  Thanks, I didn't even see page one of the topic!
                  Philip

I know this thread is from a while ago but just in case...
                Would these be considered good organist shoes? I like the shiny ones, specifically. It says it has a leather top lift but I am not sure about the soles. Any help appreciated.
                https://www.tictactoes.com/dance/dis...s_organist.htm

Comment

• Philip Powell
                  Philip Powell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, okay. Thanks!

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I haven't checked OrganMaster shoes lately, but I think, perhaps they are less expensive? The ones you linked looked good, and I second what Bill stated about the heel.

Michael

• Philip Powell
                  Philip Powell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Michael,
                  Yes, OrganMaster's are $20 cheaper but I liked the shiny ones! I think I'll go with the OrganMaster's due to the heel unless anyone else can suggest real organ shoes (I mean: no dance/tap shoes).
                  -Philip

So, I bought a pair of Oxford-style OrganMaster shoes and they came today. I have never had real organ shoes and I had my doubts. Then, I played a highly "mobile" pedal part and I will never look back (the only thing I need to address is foot substitution). They are extremely comfortable and it's so easy to "glide" across the pedalboard. I also bought the silicon no-tie laces (slip-ons) which are very convenient since I practice so much now and am constantly being interrupted. I would definitely recommend this $60 investment to anybody who wants to enhance pedal playing. Thanks for the "discernment process" too!

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good job, Philip! I had the same problem with the last pair of OrganMaster shoes I purchased. I had our local cobbler complete the repair, and have had no problems since. I think the issue was that the leather ont he heel was approximately 1/4" larger than the heel, and it allowed it to be pulled off starting at the edges.

When you get the tube of glue, could you find out what the ingredients are so we can know the recommended method to repair our own shoes? Maybe a picture?

Thanks for sharingn this information!

Michael

• Philip Powell
                  Philip Powell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Michael, it is the original Barge Cement that they are sending me. I will take a picture of the ingredients still too if y'all need it. (wow, went a little country there )

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It leaks out over time!

Michael

Here is a picture of the ingredients of the Barge Cement as requested:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	WIN_20200526_13_23_19_Pro.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	731228Some warnings: you only get one shot, so don't screw up! It's very runny and can really damage leather.

Comment

• Philip Powell
                  Philip Powell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I've had an awful headache since I used the stuff three hours ago BTW, it works quickly and perfectly.

• Philip Powell
                  Philip Powell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Michael,
                  You have absolutely great advice for "organing" but for other procedures... I am not so sure

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What I like about the glue directions is that they are written in the 2 "official" International languages–both languages I can read and understand.

Michael
              Working...
              X