A gift suggestion for fans of vintage keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A gift suggestion for fans of vintage keys

A holiday gift suggestion this week from JazzWax, a three-time winner of the Jazz Journalists Association's best blog award, written by Marc Myers who writes about music for The Wall Street Journal:

Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music.

This 400-page hardback coffee-table book by Alan S. Lenhoff and David E Robertson features every conceivable electric keyboard produced and includes a superb, fascinating history. Plus hundreds of large color photos of the instruments, ads and other images. Best of all, you learn which rock bands used which keyboards. Set aside a couple of hours of reading and page-turning and listen as you read. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762/

http://www.classickeysbook.com/

Alan

Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Keys page 64_65 72_RGB.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	748549
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Keys Christmas S.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	748545Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Keys page 152_153 72_RGB.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	748546Click image for larger version

Name:	CLASSIC KEYS Rear Cover 72_RGB.jpg
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	748547Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Keys page 210_211 72_RGB.jpg
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	748548
    Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music."
    See a preview: ClassicKeysBook.com
    Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/
    Buy it now: www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762

Thanks for posting, this looks great!

Comment

• Alenhoff
      Alenhoff commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your interest. It's a big, beautiful coffee-table book!

Alan

VERY nice book and gathering all the info in one spot!! I like the Vox Continental on the cover. Wow, almost 60 years!!! Classic keyboard in action in a classic song......

Comment

Originally posted by SchnarrHorn View Post
      VERY nice book and gathering all the info in one spot!! I like the Vox Continental on the cover. Wow, almost 60 years!!! Classic keyboard in action in a classic song......

Thanks for the kind words! I've got one of those UK-built Vox Continentals that Alan Price is "playing" in the video. It's a wonderful instrument!

Alan
      Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music."
      See a preview: ClassicKeysBook.com
      Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/
      Buy it now: www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762

Comment

• SchnarrHorn
        SchnarrHorn commented
        Editing a comment
        Playing in quotes is right, since it's not even plugged in. But neither are the guitars - hard to walk around with cords.

I just received my copy of this book and all I can say is WOW! There isn't just a little description and a lot of pictures, with a chapter per instrument. The authors have included a lot of text and it's obvious they've done their research. The book starts out with a history of keyboard instruments, starting with the pipe organ. There's also a history of technology related to keyboards, including electricity, radio, recording, TV and early attempts at electronic pianos. It's a large format book (13" x 9 3/4") with 400 pages.

It was an early Christmas present to myself; I can see I'm going to have quite a few pleasurable hours reading through it. Very well done.

George

Comment

• Alenhoff
        Alenhoff commented
        Editing a comment
        George:

Thanks so much for those kind words! David Robertson and I spent 7 years toiling and fussing over Classic Keys, For years I had hoped someone else would produce a book like this, but it never happened. Sometimes you just have to do things yourself! (Or in this case with David, who is a very talented Australian design historian and commercial photographer.) We wanted it to be a big, beautiful keepsake book for people who love keyboard instruments. Thanks again for your enthusiastic review.

Alan
    Working...
    X