A gift suggestion for fans of vintage keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A gift suggestion for fans of vintage keys

A holiday gift suggestion this week from JazzWax, a three-time winner of the Jazz Journalists Association's best blog award, written by Marc Myers who writes about music for The Wall Street Journal:

Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music.

This 400-page hardback coffee-table book by Alan S. Lenhoff and David E Robertson features every conceivable electric keyboard produced and includes a superb, fascinating history. Plus hundreds of large color photos of the instruments, ads and other images. Best of all, you learn which rock bands used which keyboards. Set aside a couple of hours of reading and page-turning and listen as you read. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762/

http://www.classickeysbook.com/

Alan

Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Keys page 64_65 72_RGB.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	748549
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Keys Christmas S.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	748545Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Keys page 152_153 72_RGB.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	748546Click image for larger version

Name:	CLASSIC KEYS Rear Cover 72_RGB.jpg
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	748547Click image for larger version

Name:	Classic Keys page 210_211 72_RGB.jpg
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	748548
    Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music."
    See a preview: ClassicKeysBook.com
    Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/ClassicKeysBook/
    Buy it now: www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762

Thanks for posting, this looks great!

Current: Allen 225 RTC, W. Bell reed organ, Lowrey TGS, Singer upright grand
    Former: Yamaha E3R
    https://www.exercisesincatholicmythology.com

Comment

VERY nice book and gathering all the info in one spot!! I like the Vox Continental on the cover. Wow, almost 60 years!!! Classic keyboard in action in a classic song......

My instrument: Allen MDS-65 with a New Century Zimbelstern
    Former instruments (RIP): Allen ADC 420; Conn Minuet

Comment

Originally posted by SchnarrHorn View Post
      VERY nice book and gathering all the info in one spot!! I like the Vox Continental on the cover. Wow, almost 60 years!!! Classic keyboard in action in a classic song......

Thanks for the kind words! I've got one of those UK-built Vox Continentals that Alan Price is "playing" in the video. It's a wonderful instrument!

Alan

Comment

• SchnarrHorn
        SchnarrHorn
        mf Mezzo-Forte
        SchnarrHorn commented
        Editing a comment
        Playing in quotes is right, since it's not even plugged in. But neither are the guitars - hard to walk around with cords. :)

I just received my copy of this book and all I can say is WOW! There isn't just a little description and a lot of pictures, with a chapter per instrument. The authors have included a lot of text and it's obvious they've done their research. The book starts out with a history of keyboard instruments, starting with the pipe organ. There's also a history of technology related to keyboards, including electricity, radio, recording, TV and early attempts at electronic pianos. It's a large format book (13" x 9 3/4") with 400 pages.

It was an early Christmas present to myself; I can see I'm going to have quite a few pleasurable hours reading through it. Very well done.

George
      My instrument: Allen MDS-65 with a New Century Zimbelstern
      Former instruments (RIP): Allen ADC 420; Conn Minuet

Comment

• Alenhoff
        Alenhoff
        pp Pianissimo
        Alenhoff commented
        Editing a comment
        George:

Thanks so much for those kind words! David Robertson and I spent 7 years toiling and fussing over Classic Keys, For years I had hoped someone else would produce a book like this, but it never happened. Sometimes you just have to do things yourself! (Or in this case with David, who is a very talented Australian design historian and commercial photographer.) We wanted it to be a big, beautiful keepsake book for people who love keyboard instruments. Thanks again for your enthusiastic review.

Alan

There's still time to make sure this keepsake is under your tree, and Amazon now has it at an attractive price. Chuck Leavell, keyboard player for the Allman Brothers and musical director of The Rolling Stones calls Classic Keys “a ‘dream book’ for us keyboard players. Beautiful depictions of classic instruments, both in pictures and text. Accurate and well-written histories of these vintage pieces that we all love and respect. I’m still drooling over each page!” http://www.classickeysbook.com/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762/
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Classic Keys Christmas S.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.4 KB ID:	788602Click image for larger version  Name:	Classic Keys page 2_3 72_RGB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	332.0 KB ID:	788606Click image for larger version  Name:	Classic Keys page 64_65 72_RGB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.4 KB ID:	788605Click image for larger version  Name:	CLASSIC KEYS Rear Cover 72_RGB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.0 KB ID:	788604Click image for larger version  Name:	Classic Keys page 152_153 72_RGB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.2 KB ID:	788603

Comment

Working...
      X