No announcement yet.

Please avoid slang, substandard, regional/dialectical, and colloquial English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please avoid slang, substandard, regional/dialectical, and colloquial English

I hope that this is a good place to remind people that this is an international forum. I'm appreciative that it's in my native language(English). But, even as a native speaker, I've come across many posts that are a chore for ME to understand. I feel sorry for the members for whom English is a foreign language trying to understand disjointed, stream-of-consciousness, slang-filled posts. Please consider this when posting. Thank you

For 8 years I worked for a Japanese company and learned this lesson well. It's also best to avoid idiomatic usage where the grammar of the usage doesn't match the meaning, such as "I only have eyes for you"--the grammar means I am delivering some eyes and they are not for anyone else.

Comment

• drg
      drg commented
      Editing a comment
      😆👍 so true

• Sweet Pete
      Sweet Pete commented
      Editing a comment
      Anyone else English totally understand their 1983 Yamaha DX7 manual?

Originally posted by toodles View Post
    "I only have eyes for you"--the grammar means I am delivering some eyes and they are not for anyone else.
    No no no. It means I am only delivering the eyes. The other body parts you ordered will be here another time.
    When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

Comment

I would certainly miss something if people stopped using idiomatic English. Of course some idioms are misleading at first or could be called "false friends", but you can learn such a lot from them and also learn how the other language works and how people think.
      Yes, "easy English" might make the conversation easier and sometimes is the right thing, but what person A finds easy to understand might still be difficult for person B.
      So far, I haven't seen any colloquial or slang expressions here that left me completely baffled. But that might be because I don't read all the discussions.
      Thanks for thinking about language and what its usage means, but please continue to bring your local lingual oddities, too.

Comment

Engrish is fun.

You should see how Google translate does The Sound of Silence.

Comment

English in general is a disaster. Imagine if we tried to use only English phrases that would be fully understandable the way we intend, in 50 years. Just try reading something written 50, 100, or 500 years ago. This is why we should just use Esperanto. As a side benefit, everyone everywhere has a similar chance of understanding it.

Really though, English seems to be a reasonable compromise (sp. compromize?). When we reach idioms and phrases that don't make sense, they are easy to figure out. Almost everyone in the world can search the web for the meaning. This reminds me of the argument for metric. Never in history has it made more sense than now to *not* standardise on metric. Everyone in the world has access to a calculator that can instantly convert to the familiar units of preference. The more unfamiliar English that we encounter, the better we all understand the modern dialects.

Comment

• Ben Madison
            Ben Madison commented
            Editing a comment
            Why certainly you have a point, you need to understand however, that English, that we understand it to be is derived its roots in old Germanic. Don't judge it too harshly for it is a mishmash of various languages that has been the result of our country being a melting pot what been brought into the country by imagrints. So the next time you hand in your resumé thank the French.

• KC9UDX
            KC9UDX commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, the history is actually a bit more interesting than that. New World influence on English is pretty minor, actually.

I'm not sure I've noticed an abundance of slang in the forums. Do you mean something like: Last night I had the crescendo pedal to the metal, with the swell at wide open throttle, and brought down the house.
          Hammond RT-3, Estey circa 1903, Baldwin Acrosonic spinet piano, Fender Rhodes Mark I 73 stage piano.

Comment

Here in Vancouver BC Canada the English language is one of many spoken.I'm fine with slang,vernacular,double entendre.When is the last time you deciphered Cantonese? Did you catch any 'slang'? Learning a new language is like anything else difficult,do you think they will go out of their way to simplify their language? Have you ever watched professional sports on television? Do you honestly think the millions of Russian viewers of NHL misinterpret the announcers? I'd be more concerned about reading written music. "Nailed to the boards" when a good body check,like this post, is thrown? I have noticed that the announcers avoid this 'metaphor' the week of Easter! I mean really......at least I'm capable of forming sentences,and paragraphs,unlike the twitter generation who have mostly forgotten the Queens official language.Many here in Canada converse in French,do you think Quebecois is identical to Parisian?
            Jus' sayin'.......
            sigpic A100/251 A100/147 A102/222 B2/147 BCV/122 M3/145 M102/145
            Various modern keyboards and modules.

Comment

I think anyone not following the idioms can search for what it means. How else will it be learned ? Speaking in slang and idiomatic is cultural as well and such words strung in a sentence speak volumes. If we are to edit our cultural sense, then not only will posting become difficult but much will get lost and it would take longer to explain things.

I can understand working for a foreign company and they ask you to refrain from using idioms. But on an international forum that starts off in a certain language, the host language should be free to behave within their cultural license.

As mentioned, if we were to join forums hosted in other languages, I don't think they would be concerned if English speakers don't follow their idioms. And if we choose to be part of that other language forum we would have to bust a move to figure out what's being said.

There's that word again; "heavy." Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	a608c945bb79dbdc2153cd77ec652b11.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	667035

Attached Files

Comment

I have a simple suggestion, if someone reading this forum does not understand something in a post, just ask. The posters in this forum are a pretty congenial lot and, if past experience is any indication, I think such a request would be quickly and respectfully answered.
                Bill

My home organ: Content M5800

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good point! I remember a few years ago someone posted about a particular organ manufacturer who had, "Lost the plot." Huh?!!! I'd never heard that phrase before, but one of our Brits kindly explained it to me.

Avoid differences, and we learn nothing from each other.

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	IDIOMS.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	667099

Comment

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What did you mean by that?

Michael

• ChristopherDB113
                  ChristopherDB113 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This makes sense to me, but I own a Hammond. Although I can't read the Asian writing I can interpret the meaning, given the context of the smiling two thumbs up.

• myorgan
                  myorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those who play Hammonds are all thumbs? Or is it the inverse: Those who are all thumbs play Hammonds?

Michael

Was watching "God's Outlaw" tonight and the part of William Tyndale had an interesting line in direct contrast to the title of this thread. But I was too polite to post here whilst watching and have too short a memory to post it now.

Comment

myorgan commented
                  Today, 08:54 AM

Those who play Hammonds are all thumbs? Or is it the inverse: Those who are all thumbs play Hammonds?
                  Those who play Hammonds have golden thumbs!

Comment

• myorgan
                    myorgan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That explains why their thumbs are always down–they're too heavy to use.<evil grin>

Michael
                Working...
                X