The "Back" button....issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Back" button....issue

So before the forum upgrade, I was always able to go into a particular OP post and scroll down and read the comments, once done, I could hit the back button which took me to the particular group.....like Hammond, or Classical organs or Home organs....to be able to peruse more topics under that particular group or heading. Now it takes me all the way back to the opening page of the forum of which I than have to click on the particular group again to get back to the topics I was scrolling down to read. Am I the only one having this issue? And/or is there a trick not to send me back to the opening forum page? It's most frustrating when viewing pics in a particular comment and than try to go back to JUST the other comments of the subject yet being sent back to the opening forum page
    Allen 5300-DK, Hammond A-105, Conn Custom 905-DK

I'm unable to reproduce your problem. I tried two things:
    1. I clicked on a topic in the New Topics list. It took me to the first post of the topic. I scrolled down to the bottom of the page. Clicked the back button and it took me back to the previous page - the New Topics list.
    2. I clicked on the Hammond Forum on the home page. I clicked on a topic in the list of topics. It took me to the first post in the topic. I scrolled to the bottom of the page. Clicked the back button and it took me to the previous page - the list of topics in the Hammond Forum.

Back button functionality is implemented by your browser and is based on the page history kept by the browser. The Forum software is not involved. If I'm reading your report correctly, you're expecting the back button to take to take you to the forum hosting the topic you just viewed. This won't happen, and never did, if you clicked the link to the topic elsewhere. The back button will take you to the page you last navigated from.

If you navigated to the topic from a page other than the hosting forum's topic list and want to remain in that forum to view other topics, use the breadcrumbs at the top of the page.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Hamman This is due to the Javascript in this version of vBulletin.
      ​​​​​​
      ​​​​​​​ Disabling JavaScript for this site will alleviate the back button problem, as well as the automatic scrolling in the opposite direction that you scroll when reading a page. But it will make page layout in some places on the forum hard to read. It might break other functionality, too.

Comment

• Admin
        Admin commented
        Editing a comment
        Disabling javascript will render this site unusable. I suppose that would alleviate a back button problem if one existed.

• KC9UDX
        KC9UDX commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been trying it since I posted that. The site is still *mostly* usable. It does solve the back button problem. It makes layout in mobile (JavaScript reareanges things when it detects a mobile browser, apparently) better in some cases, worse in others. It "fixes" the "problem" of pages being modified when using the back button, too. That is, if I follow a link in New Posts, it normally disappears when I hit Back. But now it doesn't. This breaks the automatic notification dismissals.
        The most notable difference is that loading a previously read thread with the "go to newest post" or whatever it's called, causes a blank page to load. I remedy this by reloading the page with JavaScript.
        If nothing else, it makes browsing the site very snappy (not unexpected).

I expect that disabling CSS would render the site mostly unusable.

You are offering fundamentally bad advice which is unhelpful.

The site requires javascript to function properly. Whether most or part of it functions without it is irrelevant. Disabling it will break things now and you cannot predict what it may break in the future. If someone follows your advice and then has problems, it's going to fall upon me to try to sort them out.

That is, if I follow a link in New Posts, it normally disappears when I hit Back. But now it doesn't.
      That is desirable and by design. New Topics displays unread items, so after you've read an item it should no longer be in the list. When you break that functionality by disabling javascript, the browser displays a cached page and the item remains. If the page is then refreshed, or the New Topics link clicked again, the item will disappear as it should. In this case javascript is preserving the functionality of this feature and is ensuring its consistency of its contents across page refreshes. If you want to see the latest posts whether read or not, Today's Posts or Latest Activities options should be used.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
      X