Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still getting WAY too many private requests for technical info!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still getting WAY too many private requests for technical info!

Could there be a banner or something that visitors simply cannot miss -- to warn them not to send either private or "visitor" messages to any of us requesting technical info? I still seem to be getting five to ten such requests every week.

While I have happily made a mini-career out of giving free advice on this forum, I cannot take time away from my family, my personal life and commitments, my church responsibilities, and my business to give free PRIVATE technical help! Sharing info on the forum is both fun and engaging for me, and I learn as much as I teach in this way, and I am certainly NOT complaining about that. Nor am I complaining about the occasional phone call or other contact from the many friends I have made on this forum. Please keep the calls and letters coming!

I have composed a terse but firm statement with which to reply to these private or visitor messages -- "Please post technical questions on the open forum so that others may benefit from the shared information. This is a strict forum rule, and we techs on the forum simply cannot respond to all the requests received privately." Then I just hang up. Even that takes time that would be better spent posting on the forum so that some issue can be explored for the benefit of the entire community and future visitors to the forum.

Surely other forum contributors get these messages too, and would prefer not to have to answer each one individually, even with a mild rebuke.

EDIT ------ Would it be possible to totally ditch the "visitor" message system? Why do we need that feature anyway? If someone wants to post they have to join up, but they apparently have to at least create a user name even to send a "visitor" message. Seems like a useless feature, and it is the source of at least half the unwanted messages I get.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

On your profile, under the Account tab you can disable visitor messages--I found that a while ago, and disabled it.

Comment

I appreciate your situation and I've posted several times asking people to post their questions to the Forum rather than to individuals and, in fact, there is a sticky to this effect here.
      https://organforum.com/forums/forum/...vate-messaging

My experience with banners is that they are not very effective in changing behavior, and, unfortunately, the more banners are displayed, the more they are ignored.

Do not despair. There are very simple steps you can take to cut down on these direct requests.
      • Go to your User Settings
      • Click the Account tab.
      • Set your Private Messaging Options
        • To disable Private Messaging entirely:
          • uncheck Enable Private Messaging
        • To receive and filter Private Messages:
          • check Enable Private Messaging
          • under Receive Private Messaging:
            • Choose From All Members for no filtering or
            • Choose Only from subscribers, moderators, and administrators to reject messages from unknown users
      • Check or uncheck Enable Visitor Messaging
      • Click the Privacy tab
      • Under Subscriber Request uncheck Auto-accept subscriber requests
      Optionally add a message to your Sig:
      • Go to your User Settings
      • Click the Account tab
      • Under Conversation Detail Options|Visible Post Elements click Edit Post Signature
      • Add an appropriate message to your signature e.g. "I'm not accepting Private Messages at this time" or "Please do not private message me with your questions. Post them to the Forum."
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Thank you, Admin! As usual, I was simply not aware of my options and got unduly agitated. Didn't help my mood that I was already tired and cranky today, and then I received TWO private message requests for technical help just this morning!

I have followed your advice and made the suggested changes to my user settings. Thanks!
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
          Thank you, Admin! As usual, I was simply not aware of my options and got unduly agitated. Didn't help my mood that I was already tired and cranky today, and then I received TWO private message requests for technical help just this morning!

I have followed your advice and made the suggested changes to my user settings. Thanks!
          One of those was me. Sorry, I wasn't thinking of how many PM's you must get. I sent it privately because I've been eviscerated the last few posts I've made so it was a selfish backdoor request. It won't happen in the future and it looks like you made sure it can't as well. Thanks for all your help on these forums.

Comment

• jbird604
            jbird604 commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't feel bad! Obviously many others have done the same or worse. I would gladly have answered your simple question, but it was one that needed to be answered for all to see, so future organists and owners would benefit from the information being shared.

In fact, I don't remember previously seeing a thread about the changing of batteries in any of the newer Allens, such as your R-250. That is a subject that deserves discussion here.

I see that you did go ahead and start a thread in the appropriate sub-forum, and that my esteemed colleague you795a has already given you some information. Thanks for your question and good luck maintaining that excellent organ.
        Working...
        X